Popular Tags: [View All]
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

(thumbsups appreciated!)

3 days to Gen Con... 102 days till Ludo 2012!

Also, just in time for back to school, Kanata Board Gamer Langley (BGG user lajaro) is selling a chunk of his collection. He's marked them "for trade".

There will be a meeting of the Kanata Board Gamers this Thursday, 16 August 2012. The start time for the session is 6 PM till approximately 11pm.

The place is: Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church
Detailed directions follow, but it is quite close to the Wizard’s Tower and the Hazeldean Public Library.

Also, send me a geekmail if you want to let me know about anything - from suggestions for raising club attendance, club purchase suggestions, or just telling me whether you can make the meeting.

Feel free to use this forum thread to discuss what to play!

You may bring food & drink (be neat!). We can rearrange the tables & chairs provided we return everything an keep things tidy.

Our meetings are posted on meetup; check out http://meetup.gamesforall.ca/

Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (KCCRC) is 46 Castlefrank Rd (directions follow). There is parking outside. Follow the signs to the church basement.

I will be collecting $2.50 from each person. The first $20 collected is donated to our gracious venue. Any left over will go into a boardgame library fund. Maybe we'll have enough for some 2012 Essen picks? The war chest stands at $78.00 and the library stands at 6 games (Lancaster, Automobile, Eclipse, The Forgotten Planet, Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas, and Pergamemnon). Members can borrow from the library any time.

Visitors are always welcome. Come on in and check us out! There is no obligation, but if you decide to become a member it only costs $7.50 and entitles you to 10% discount cards at select local games stores.

Note if you want the discount cards (for Fandom II, Toys on Fire, and Comic Book Shoppe), let me know & I'll have them made up. 100% of the $7.50 fee goes to Can Games to support kids games and the cards are good for 1 calendar year from the month you get them.

Please add to this thread with your suggestions of what to play.

Hope to see you then!

Directions to the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (from the East):

1. Take Queensway/417 to MARCH/MARCH RD. exit, EXIT 138, toward CH. EAGLESON/EAGLESON RD./KANATA. 600m
2. Take the EAGLESON RD SOUTH ramp. 0.09 km
3. Turn LEFT onto EAGLESON RD/CHEMIN EAGLESON/RR-49 S. 2.1 km
4. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto HAZELDEAN RD/CHEMIN HAZELDEAN/RR-36 1.3 km
5. Turn LEFT onto CASTLEFRANK RD/CHEMIN CASTLEFRANK. 0.3 km
6. 46 CASTLEFRANK ROAD is on your left at the stop sign.
7. Go up the hill to the church and park at the top. There will be a sign on the church doors near the parking lot directing you.
8. Go thru' the doors and into the main hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I 'should' be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Are there any Dungeon Command players amongst you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll bring Alcatraz: The Scapegoat as requested; the game almost everyone wins!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
srlarkin wrote:

Also, just in time for back to school, Kanata Board Gamer Langley (BGG user lajaro) is selling a chunk of his collection. He's marked them "for trade".

Thanks, Steve. Here's the link for convenience: /collection/user/lajaro?rankobjecttype=subtype&rankobjectid=.... If anything not marked for trade interests anyone, GM me.

(I, unfortunately, won't be at the meeting this week)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
flag msg tools
Steve, if I bring out Lancaster would you be willing to teach it for me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:

I think Eric has both of the current sets buts he's out of town this week.

I could be persuaded to give it a try but can't make any guarantees.

2 player games don't get picked often unfortunately. I have a few 2p games I'd like to play more and I'm sure others do as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
GamerAtom wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:

2 player games don't get picked often unfortunately. I have a few 2p games I'd like to play more and I'm sure others do as well.

I pretty much cut and pasted my the same response from the other thread lol.

Nahh, you can play as many players are you want, the thing is, every player must have their own set (warband).

I currently own 2 warbands, so that we can skirmish (1vs1).

So I guess I'm really asking if anyone has purchased a set.

Maybe when Eric gets back we can try 4p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Fage
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, two times in a row that I am able to attend.

Again, happy to bring anything from my owned list and I did update for the traded games. Please note that I have not played or at least not for a long time many of my games so don't rely on my expertise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:

I pretty much cut and pasted my the same response from the other thread lol.

Nahh, you can play as many players are you want, the thing is, every player must have their own set (warband).

I currently own 2 warbands, so that we can skirmish (1vs1).

So I guess I'm really asking if anyone has purchased a set.

Maybe when Eric gets back we can try 4p.

You could always come and bring it and just try not to be to disappointed if it doesn't hit the table. Here's why it might NOT get played: if 9 people show up, odds are we'd need to split into 2 groups. If 2 of those 9 split off to do a 2P game, then that leaves 7. This of course is an odd number of players. Do they try and find a 7P game they can all play (not ideal since most games in that range are anyone's first choice) or split into a group of 3 and 4? That doesn't seem so bad I guess, but what if only 4 people show up? It's rare, but it happens. And if it does, then that forces the other 2 to play a 2p game...which may or may not be available since as I mentioned before, they don't get chosen ofter and therefore are rarely brought as an option.

With that said, I am interested in trying Dungeon Command, but don't want to get sucked into that system because I have enough other 2p games I want to get more play time into. I know that if I play it, the odds are high I'll get sucked in. I know myself pretty well in that regards. However, that's pretty selfish. It's all about give and take. If I play the game you want to play, perhaps someday someone will play the 2p game I want to play. I really want to play more Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear and Hannibal: Rome Vs. Carthage. For this reason, I'm willing to play Dungeon Command with you (Or any game with anyone for that matter).

Btw, if Eclipse or Mage Knight hits the table, I've been itchin to try those games for awhile and have missed a couple chances already and don't want to miss out again. This is why I personally don't want to commit to Dungeon Command.

I've mentioned this before, but I often wish we had a '2p' theme night every once in awhile. That of course does cause a problem if an odd number of players show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RodF wrote:
Please note that I have not played or at least not for a long time many of my games so don't rely on my expertise.

meh, you quite didn't fine last time. As a matter of fact, weren't you in the running for the winner last time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moose2387 wrote:
Steve, if I bring out Lancaster would you be willing to teach it for me?

Ryan, I can teach you. I'll even try to teach it correctly!

btw for the club's copy of Lancaster, I picked up the expansion which adds new laws. That would be worth adding after your 5th play or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have both Dungeon Command sets, which I'll bring. Love to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor K
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't make it this week, hopefully next time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should make it and would gladly play eclipse
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

I've mentioned this before, but I often wish we had a '2p' theme night every once in awhile. That of course does cause a problem if an odd number of players show up.

This sounds like an excellent idea. I have tons of 2ps that I'm often reluctant to promote since it means separating off into our own little group, and then being out-of-sync with everybody else.

Anyway, sign me up for this hypothetical event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
chall wrote:
Quote:

This sounds like an excellent idea. I have tons of 2ps that I'm often reluctant to promote since it means separating off into our own little group, and then being out-of-sync with everybody else.

Anyway, sign me up for this hypothetical event.

+1 (just not THIS week please )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Shabatowski
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to cancel my GenCon trip so I will be taking a Staycation instead. I expect that I will be there Thursday. I am always up for 2 player stuff as well. Take a peek at my collection and let me know if there is anything you would like to see there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
flag msg tools
Adam you still need to show me A Few Acres of Snow. I am really wanting to play that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually traded that to Langley and one of the reasons was the fact that it's 2 player only so I can't get it to the table much at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
I sorta have the opposite problem...

From "a play at home" standpoint I got more friends coming over one at a time, since its often difficult to coordiate larger get togethers due to everyone having different schedules. So if 1 players comes over its a 1vs1 game.

But yeah, I guess it does make sense if your going to attend one of these events with lots of players, might as well get in on a big game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That'll change if you get married and have kids Mike. (of course, i just assumed you are not married and don't have kids, which I guess I shouldn't have done. )

I guess I'll add that the second reason I traded A Few Acres of Snow is that at home, my 2P opponent is my wife. She's not a fan of war themed games (or fantasy). Not that A Few acres of Snow gameplay is very warlike (I guess is it sort of), but the theme is based on a war and she's not interested. Add to that, she's not really a gamer but still does have here fav's she'd rather just play when she does agree to play something. (1960, Dominion, Railroad Tycoon, Jambo, Lost Cities, Bohnanza, TTR).

It's to bad too, A Few Acres of Snow is a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
... Not that A Few acres of Snow gameplay is very warlike ...

What do you mean "not warlike"? I've played the game several times with you and I seem to recall quite a few first turn sieges on your part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to play/teach AFAOS unfortunately I have been reminded that I will have been married 15 years on Thursday and therefore not gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mvalenta wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:
... Not that A Few acres of Snow gameplay is very warlike ...

What do you mean "not warlike"? I've played the game several times with you and I seem to recall quite a few first turn sieges on your part

touche! I sure do like that tactic when playing the French.

I'm not sure how to explain it. I just felt like the card play seems less war game like than say Conflict of Heroes or Runewars. Sure, there are seiges and raids, but it feels a lot more abstracted. I think you could easily slap a non-war theme onto that game an it would work just as well.

Notice how one of Mandy's fav's I listed is 1960? That was a clever move by me. I really liked Twilight Struggle and knew she'd never go for it. 1960 is pretty close to the same game, with a non-war theme. I got her playing a war game without even knowing it!

*Edit. Congrats Halden. That's quite an accomplishment in this day and age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.