Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had an interesting question come up in a session last night. It was our first game and time was running out on the evening as a British expedition of 2 regs and 2 militia left Mobile and approached New Orleans.

I decided to sally forth expedition F to take them out and my opponent played both the Lafitte and Ambush reactions.

The ambush forced Expedition F to retreat but the question is whether they could retreat to New Orleans. The retreat rule requires a retreat to a friendly location though I am not sure if controlled = friendly.

Based on the below discussion, a battle would need to occur in New Orleans between Lafitte and any local militia generated there.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/830250/british-play-of-lafit...

So how would this work? With a reaction card creating a new combat,do you resolve the current battle first or go to the new one, resolve it, then go back to the current?

Can units/expeditions retreat into a space that is currently enemy occupied as long as there are friendly units there?

Finally, I have to say that I had a great first impression of the game last night. It seems to have captured all of the nuances of the war quite well. The peace track in particular is a great method to reflect the increasing war weariness as time passes, and I like how the Decatur and Old Ironsides cards impact the track through card play - which avoids either bogging down the game in mechanics to cover them or skipping them entirely.

Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So how would this work? With a reaction card creating a new combat,do you resolve the current battle first or go to the new one, resolve it, then go back to the current?

If the Reaction is to be resolved immediately, then I'd assume that Lafitte would fight his battle as soon as the card is played.

Quote:
Can units/expeditions retreat into a space that is currently enemy occupied as long as there are friendly units there?

It's not the presence of friendly units that counts, it's control of the area that's important. The presence of enemy troops wouldn't matter as long as the space is still controlled by the side friendly to the retreating unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't quite follow the specifics of the question. First, I assume you were the American player, and your opponent was the British? You say the British "approached" New Orleans- did they reach the New Orleans area, or did they just get to the unnamed area between Mobile and New Orleans? When you say you "decided to call forth expedition F" does this mean that you activated expedition F and attacked the British in that area adjacent to New Orleans? If this is the case, then you could play neither Lafitte (can only be played in the New Orleans area) nor the Ambush card (can only be played by the defender). Also, I don't understand what caused the retreat- the player of an Ambush card can never be forced to retreat in the ambush, since the other player does not roll on the CRT.

Sorry about being slow here, but I really don't understand the situation you're describing.

Quote:

What Paul said is correct. For example, if an enemy expedition moves in and attacks an area you control, and the combat result has nobody retreating, then you still control the area. The enemy expedition is still there, but your forces can retreat there.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying the game!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify the first part:

A British expedition moved adjacent to New Orleans. During the American turn, I marched expedition F into the space.

After this move, my opponent played both the Ambush card and the Lafitte card as reactions, thinking to take New Orleans with Lafitte and leave my expedition with no retreat path with the Ambush attack. The result of the cards under these circumstances had they all worked would have been 3 shifts forward for the american - devestating loss with 5+ units that could not retreat, elimination of the expedition, and capture of New Orleans plus a backward shift for the Brits for taking a red objective.

From your response it sounds as though the Lafitte card can only be played as a reaction card when New Orleans is in contention. We thought it was somewhat quirky that the card could be played as a reaction if a battle were taking place in the north. That answer solves most of the question and the answer on retreats to controlled areas solves the rest.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks for the explanation, now I get it! (I was thinking that the Americans were playing the Lafitte and Ambush cards.)

Quote:
From your response it sounds as though the Lafitte card can only be played as a reaction card when New Orleans is in contention.

Well, yes; but Lafitte can place New Orleans into contention all by himself. As stated in the thread that you link to above, Lafitte can do 3 things: reinforce the Americans in N.O., reinforce the British attacking N.O., and attack N.O. in a "raid" all by himself. Your example is situation no. 3. Lafitte can be played as either a regular event or a reaction (the "Reaction*" designation; see the last sentence of 5.3 Reaction Events). Since the Lafitte card does not place restrictions on when it can be played as a reaction, you can do so at any time.

So, in your example, as soon as the American player marched his Expedition F out of New Orleans, the British player could play Lafitte as a reaction. The Americans would then raise Local Militia in a (presumably) empty N.O. If the Americans roll a zero for Militia, then Lafitte (in his own Expedition) and a British control flag are placed in N.O.! Otherwise, there is a battle. If the British gain more asterisks on the CRT or wipe out the Americans- without Lafitte's expedition being wiped out- then a British control flag is placed in N.O. If the British do not win in this manner, then even if Lafitte remains in N.O. and the surviving American Local Militia are removed, the Americans retain control of N.O. and the expedition in the adjacent area can retreat into N.O. (Lafitte just watches them go by from the bayous south of the city...)

After all of this, then the British can play his Ambush card. If the ambush does not force the Americans to retreat (and does not wipe them out) then the original attack activated by the American player is resolved.

Later, the British might activate the Expedition in the area between N.O. and Mobil to attack N.O. Lafitte's expedition (if any of it survived the encounter with the American Local Militia) will combine with the activated British expedition, and join in the attack on the city.

Or, the American can Raise troops in New Orleans even with Lafitte's expedition in the area, if Lafitte did not take control of the N.O. area for the British. They could Raise 6 militia and place a leader or two with one card there! A follow-up card could attack Lafitte, and possibly wipe out his expedition. Lots of options...

I think this covers every possible situation!

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Orszak
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Kevin. I think that does cover everything on that situation. Lafitte can indeed come into play as a reaction to your opponent's operation, even if that operation occurs along the lakes. Interesting. I appreciate your detailed response. I'm getting another game in on Friday even at the Central CT Wargamers club and am definitely looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.