Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » General

Subject: First couple of plays 00-01 and my thoughts, what I would change. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So a friend and I started the tutorial each taking 3 survivors. I had El Cholo, Dave, and Wanda, He had Nick, Doug, and Amy. This was very easy but a decent introduction to the game. After playing this scenario we reread the rules and realized that there was a couple of things we were doing wrong.

My overview of the scenario is that it should be played first as it helps with learning the rules so that further scenarios can be more enjoyable. It's quick and easy.

The second scenario we played was city blocks. This we had 3 players for. I played Dave and Nick, player 2 played Ned and Amy, player 3 El Cholo and Nick.

During the scenario 01 city blocks we houseruled that zones with dumpsters could be searched. Ned's ability of a free search turned out annoying at least to the players not controlling him. He basically just always dropped the found item or stuff he was carrying.

The scenario started off harmless, on the 3rd card the chainsaw was drawn. Which seemed to give us a huge advantage. Overall the scenario was fun, but it took about 2 hours to play and seemed way too easy as none of us even took a wound. I don't know if that's because we used awesome tactics. I mean using cover fire with a rifle, using a survivor to open a door then sending in Amy who had the chainsaw.

Overall impressions, I liked the game, my friends kept saying "this game is awsome" so they loved it. Honestly though the game seemed to easy. When we would spawn on blue we would occasionally get 2 fatties and we actually wanted the red with 8 walkers spawned (as it would've been easier, this was mainly because of the chainsaw on amy and our survivors all getting multiple actions. She got a free move and free combat action. Then she would usually start her turn which would involve a move to an adjacent zone and 3 attacks against the zombies there. Meanwhile El Cholo would clean up the zombies coming from behind. Honestly this game was very easy. The only difficult thing was having higher damage weapons against the fatties, but half our survivors had them. We saved a Molotov just for the abomination when it appeared, and it came and went. The runners never stood a chance as two survivors has rifles and picked them off. They were never even in a same zone with walkers or fatties or survivors, so targets never mattered.

What I would change:
I am going to paint the runners red or black, we kept getting them mixed up with walkers.

I am looking for card stands and going to do in hand slots and in
reserve slots, the cards kept sliding around.

We never used the skill markers (what's the point? you know what skills you get just look at the colors you've been in.
Sound generation we just used d6's.

Also the redundancy of skills was annoying. I think we may rule that when you level you pick one of those available.

I am still trying to think of a way to may the game harder. Maybe on your turn you choose one survivor to activate and after everyone's had a turn then do zombies. So in other words we each don't get to activate all of our survivors before zombies, just one each.

And Flashlight do you have to hold them or can they be reserved?
And can I hold a chainsaw and a baseball bat? Or a chainsaw and a Pistol but only use one or the other.?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So after trying the tutorial you want to tamper the difficulty? Ok

Sounds and looks like a fun game. I would like to try it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
Also the redundancy of skills was annoying. I think we may rule that when you level you pick one of those available.


That's what you're supposed to do. When you move up to a level with 2 or 3 skills, you're supposed to only choose one. The markers are used to keep track of which one you picked.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We played two scenarios.

I just reread leveling, maybe that's why it was easier because we had all skills, and that also is the reason for the redundancy.

DoomTurtle wrote:
warpi9 wrote:
Also the redundancy of skills was annoying. I think we may rule that when you level you pick one of those available.


That's what you're supposed to do. When you move up to a level with 2 or 3 skills, you're supposed to only choose one. The markers are used to keep track of which one you picked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report of your playthrough. Very informative to read these first impressions. Building the excitement for when the Zombi(cid)e invasion will finally hit European shores for us backers here.

I do think the game was at times too easy for you because of an oversight you had concerning the gaining of new skills:

warpi9 wrote:
We never used the skill markers (what's the point? you know what skills you get just look at the colors you've been in. Also the redundancy of skills was annoying. I think we may rule that when you level you pick one of those available.


Those are the actual rules. You have to pick just 1 skill, you don't get them all. Check p.4 of the rulebook, under 'inventory explained' the green arrows point this out. For example: "When the Survivor reaches the Orange Danger Level, pick an extra Skill among the 2 Skills for this Danger Level". The same goes for the highest danger level where you choose 1 skill from among 3.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh another thing I would change is that I would use something bigger for the first player token. The token kept getting lost or we would forget to pass it.

As well as markers on which of your survivors has acted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also allowing to search dumbsters sounds like tuning it easier.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to have the flashlight equipped in your hand in order to benefit from its effects.

Leveling up with all the skills certainly would make the game much easier. No offense, but I think it's possible you might have made other mistakes you haven't noticed, if the first mission was such a breeze. In my experience that mission ranges from challenging to effing cruel, so for it to have been so easy for your group, you've either made all the best strategy choices, were very lucky, or got some rules wrong. I'd recommend going over the rulebook again just to be sure.

And yeah, houseruling search in dumpsters makes the game easier, which makes it unfair when you then complain the game's too easy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I didn't think the searching in dumpsters would hamper the game much. There was only a one time search of each dumpster though. I honestly think that it was too easy because of the mis leveling where we played with all skills.

I just realized in the tutorial we forgot to spawn zombies in the open building. That may be the reason why it was easy as well. We did do this in the second scenario.

Instill wish there were stands that held your survivor card and their items. I looked at card stands on amazon but they are like 15 each.



Loophole Master wrote:
You don't have to have the flashlight equipped in your hand in order to benefit from its effects.

Leveling up with all the skills certainly would make the game much easier. No offense, but I think it's possible you might have made other mistakes you haven't noticed, if the first mission was such a breeze. In my experience that mission ranges from challenging to effing cruel, so for it to have been so easy for your group, you've either made all the best strategy choices, were very lucky, or got some rules wrong. I'd recommend going over the rulebook again just to be sure.

And yeah, houseruling search in dumpsters makes the game easier, which makes it unfair when you then complain the game's too easy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warpi9 wrote:
During the scenario 01 city blocks we houseruled that zones with dumpsters could be searched.


That might have something to do with why you found it easy.

warpi9 wrote:
Also the redundancy of skills was annoying. I think we may rule that when you level you pick one of those available.


As might that!

(You're meant to only pick one of the Orange/Red level skills when you reach those levels - and that's why there are skill markers!)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
warpi9 wrote:
During the scenario 01 city blocks we houseruled that zones with dumpsters could be searched.


That might have something to do with why you found it easy.

warpi9 wrote:
Also the redundancy of skills was annoying. I think we may rule that when you level you pick one of those available.


As might that!

(You're meant to only pick one of the Orange/Red level skills when you reach those levels - and that's why there are skill markers!)


Maybe I just suck at the game, but I played "City Blocks" solo last night, twice, and it looked impossible for me to reach all of the objectives in each game.

Also, I wasn't using the promo characters. I think the promo characters have skills that might make the game easier.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Cochran
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
A lot of it depends on the luck of your item draws.

We never got a weapon that did 3 damage so Nick ended up hanging out with the Abomination to keep it neutralized for the last 1/4 of the game.

None of us died in Scenario 1, but we still found it pretty challenging and we're relatively hard-core gamers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SethCochran wrote:
We never got a weapon that did 3 damage so Nick ended up hanging out with the Abomination to keep it neutralized for the last 1/4 of the game.

You do realize you'll never draw a damage 3 weapon, right? The only way to kill the Abomination is by making a Molotov (or maxing out El Cholo).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric L
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
You don't have to have the flashlight equipped in your hand in order to benefit from its effects.


I wonder why? I was playing that it had to be an in-hand item to be used during a search action. Looking over the rules, it seems reasonable to me.

The reserve card areas are alternately referred to as "Unused Equipment" and "Extra Equipment." Certainly seems to imply the flashlight wouldn't apply if stored in such an area.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I could go either way. But this is another thing I checked with the designers, and that's their answer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Cochran
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
SethCochran wrote:
We never got a weapon that did 3 damage so Nick ended up hanging out with the Abomination to keep it neutralized for the last 1/4 of the game.

You do realize you'll never draw a damage 3 weapon, right? The only way to kill the Abomination is by making a Molotov (or maxing out El Cholo).


I was under the impression (apparently incorrect) that the chainsaw was also 3 Damage. I'll revise my statement to be "We never found any Molotovs or the second piece to make one ourselves."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, sorry, but just to be clear, you'll never "find" a Molotov, you have to make one yourself by finding glass bottles and gasoline.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ludyee wrote:
Loophole Master wrote:
You don't have to have the flashlight equipped in your hand in order to benefit from its effects.
I wonder why? I was playing that it had to be an in-hand item to be used during a search action. Looking over the rules, it seems reasonable to me.

The reserve card areas are alternately referred to as "Unused Equipment" and "Extra Equipment." Certainly seems to imply the flashlight wouldn't apply if stored in such an area.

Think of it as a headlamp. They're plenty bright these days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.