Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Morgan
United Kingdom
Burnley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys

I would really appriciate somehelp with a viable strategy for the commie player in 1989.

I have played quite a few games now and given the cards sort of balance out, ie. I don't get all blue events in a hand or have to play a whole hand into General Strike (yes that happened), I am struggling to give the commie side a fair 'crack of the whip'.

The only two idea I have had is firstly a very short term lets Blitz and try and win in the early deck before the dreaded mid deack turns up but this is very hard and relies on winning Poland twice and big.

Secondly, trying to manage the mid deck by recycling commie events from deck one into deck two to modify the advantage.

I would really welcome any strategy ideas for the commie people have come up with.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice but Communists have won both times.

It's very hard to hold Poland unless you get a good combination of cards in Turn 1, including the Poland Scoring card, so what I did was concentrate on Hungary first, then build in Czechoslovakia, support check the Dems out of the student and intellectual spaces (even if Helskinki is in effect this is important in Czechoslovakia as it's the only country where the Student and Writer spaces are also battlegrounds) and you have a very good chance of Dominating Czechoslovakia.

Then start building in E Germany which is your major bastion of points throughout the game. If you can keep St Nicholas Church from happening, do it, Monday Demonstrations is deadly in E Germany.

Build in Bulgaria as a side-line, the Dem has a hard time getting in here without playing certain events.

Towards the end of Mid War start building in Romania, another good country for you, but be aware that it may not score at all during the game.

Count on losing power in Poland and at least one other country, if you can get into Late War and then get New Year's Eve Party or go to Final Scoring with at least three countries, that's a 12 VP bonus right there. The Dem has to have a good VP lead and a great board position to have any chance in Final Scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had more success playing the long game as a Communist. Poland is too slanted toward the Democrat to win it without his cooperation, so you can't count on that. Don't forget your final scoring bonus for countries where you retain power. It usually amounts to around 12 points if you are playing well, and it's hard for the Democrat to overcome this in the final scoring.

The best piece of strategy advice I can give for the Communist, though, is to focus on just one or two countries at a time. If you can win one or two countries decisively, you can score them repeatedly. The Democrat can't do that; once he takes power the scoring card is removed from the deck and the country does not score again until final scoring. And since the game relies heavily on initiative and "getting there first," it can be really hard for the Democrat to evict you from somewhere once you have a dominating position. Just be aware of the Democrat events that can ruin your day, particularly Monday Demonstrations, and you should be golden.

One more comment about the "getting there first" advantage. As you play more you will realize the areas of the board that are particularly important to "get there first" in. They are the worker triangle in Czechoslovakia; Budapest; the eastern worker spaces in Romania; the worker triangle in eastern Bulgaria. Poland is slanted so heavily to the Democrat that I usually don't bother there, unless he lets me and/or I start with Poland scoring. Germany is really slanted toward the Communist, but if Monday Demonstrations goes off it completely flips to the Democrat. So I only commit a lot of Ops there once I know where Monday Demonstrations is (or St. Nick hasn't been triggered). Anyway, the nice thing about playing the Communist is you generally start with an advantage in getting to these critical areas first. Don't squander this; press the Democrat, use your initiative advantage (going first every turn), and make him cringe when he has to take a break to play a critical event or T. Square something awful of yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.