Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Severn
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the condition of the Surge situation in the 1991 Iraq campaign is to destroy at least 2 battalions by the end of day 1 and at least 4 by the end of day 2 or the campaign is considered a failure...

I was successful on day 1, but my first mission of day 2 I only "halfed" a battalion...how did or how would you play it? Continue through the campaign, knowing it's a failure anyways but getting the most VPs as possible? Or just abort, and start a new campaign or restart this one?

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always played it that the campaign is over: ended in failure.

Time to start another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mike_espo wrote:
I always played it that the campaign is over: ended in failure.

Time to start another one.

Same.

I think the rulebook suggestion to start with the Surge situation is a mistake. The destroy two battalions on each of the first two days is a particularly nasty victory condition for new players.

When I start another game, I leave most of the set up the same and just swap some pilots and aircraft around, trying to optimize my approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:

I think the rulebook suggestion to start with the Surge situation is a mistake. The destroy two battalions on each of the first two days is a particularly nasty victory condition for new players.

Which situation would you suggestion? I'm asking because I've played once so far, and Surge kind of kicked my butt on day 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the surge situation three times before I succeeded. You have to balance your aircraft well. Target the weaker battalions, I read a report that the "show of force" seems to be quite balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Which situation would you suggestion? I'm asking because I've played once so far, and Surge kind of kicked my butt on day 1.

I wish I knew. I've only tried Surge a couple of times. I've been looking for recommendations myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'd quit at the point I knew I couldn't meet the steep requirements. It's incredibly hard to get that one without some good luck on your side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Medeiros
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surge IS quite challenging. I feel like I've got a good handle on how to play this game, but the last two times I tried Surge I lost due to failing to destroy enough battalions on the first day. Still, I don't know that there would be a better choice for a recommended introductory scenario. General War is long and hard; you have to marshal your SO points very carefully, and damage and stress really build up. Show of Force requires a lot of risk-taking, Rapid Deployment has a painfully small initial allowance of points, Holding Action is quite long, Cut-off also requires careful thinking about how to spend SO points.
Obviously, for Surge you can either attack more battalions (3+ each day), or attack easier ones. But if you attack three or more battalions a day, you may spread yourself so thin that you can't destroy even two of them (been guilty of this), and if you attack easier battalions, you won't get as many VPs.
Then again, part of what makes this game so great is the challenge and difficult decision-making. Is it really that fun to play a game that you win every time, by a big margin? Victory's sweeter if you know you really accomplished something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeagollum wrote:
Obviously, for Surge you can either attack more battalions (3+ each day), or attack easier ones.

I think part of my problem was (is) that I still haven't figured out which battalions are easier to destroy. I thought that one with a lot of buildings (which, you know, can't actually shoot at me) would be easier, but I couldn't seem to roll well enough to destroy the buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.