Subject: Official iOS app is coming this week rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

http://pockettactics.com/2012/08/13/rio-grandes-official-dom...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
AndreKada wrote:

So, RGG is working on something iOS-specific?

Here's hoping pockettactics doesn't have all their information correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
monteslu wrote:
AndreKada wrote:

So, RGG is working on something iOS-specific?

I think that their information is certainly skewed (i.e. comes from an iOS perspective).

As far as I know, this implementation is being produced by a company whose speciality is HTML 5, so it should run in a browser from most devices. I believe (I have not been involved) that the beta testing has been browser-based.

However it has also been said that it will be available through the iTunes store. This does not preclude other OS apps through the relevant app stores, and I have read that Androminion is also being taken down with the release of the official version (and although I am an iOS user myself, I hope it is also available on Android etc as well).

The one thing that I have not seen verified (or denied) anywhere is whether it will be playable offline - e.g. in airplane mode - or is only an online app. This will make the difference to me as to whether I spend my money as fast as the expansions are made available or whether I ignore it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
monteslu wrote:

... says the minority viewpoint.

You haven't checked the scoreboard in a long time.

but I'm not arguing for a specific platform. Just against exclusivity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy Winand
United States
Lincoln Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure this is just the web version. That's what the press releases say on isotopic and dominion.doninioniphone.com . I don't think an iOS version is being released yet. It's an HTML5 browser based game for computers and tablets (both iOS and Android)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
TMWinand wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is just the web version. That's what the press releases say on isotopic and dominion.doninioniphone.com . I don't think an iOS version is being released yet. It's an HTML5 browser based game for computers and tablets (both iOS and Android)

That's what it sounds like. I got excited when the pockettactics said "Other features include AI for offline play" but the source they're getting that from actually says "Play Dominion Online: [and one of the subpoints is] Single player against bots."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erik17 wrote:
TMWinand wrote:

That's what it sounds like. I got excited when the pockettactics said "Other features include AI for offline play" but the source they're getting that from actually says "Play Dominion Online: [and one of the subpoints is] Single player against bots."

HTML5/JS wrapped in phonegap is capable of being offline and containing obfuscated AI code. Even could be deployed for sale to app stores. That said, I have no idea what is coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
..... and I have read that Androminion is also being taken down with the release of the official version (and although I am an iOS user myself, I hope it is also available on Android etc as well).
And this is why I was secretly hoping the official iOS version won't come out until all the Dom exp have been released and implemented in Androminion. It really is a fine app. People decry how ugly it is without the card art, but the interface in this game is REALLY WELL DONE..... the cards are color-coded in very relevant way (Copper, Talisman, Quarry, Venture, Loan, and Ill-Gotten Gains are color coded the same; Silver, Harem, Horde, Royal Seal, and Diadem are the color-coded same; and Gold, Contraband, and Cache are the color-coded same; while Bank, Horn Of Plenty, and Philosopher's Stone have some "miscellaneous color"). Having a game log means if you missed something in the course of the animation of a turn, you can still look up what went on. Having the game art would eat up unnecessary space.... space that most smartphones don't have much of to begin with.

churchmouse wrote:
The one thing that I have not seen verified (or denied) anywhere is whether it will be playable offline - e.g. in airplane mode - or is only an online app. This will make the difference to me as to whether I spend my money as fast as the expansions are made available or whether I ignore it.
That's one reason I love playing Androminion.... you can fire up a fast game anywhere, and finish it in as little as a few minutes. I acknowledge that it's not as social as playing in f2f games, and real (good) players can really give you a run for your money, but when you play against AI, you're willingly trading off such good parts for conveniences.

And the matter of exp are another thing.... I wanna try many games of Dark Ages. If this "app" is going to be similar to other iOS board games where they get released incrementally, one-by-one, then that's 7 expansions away. Given the rough schedule of games like Carcassonne and Ascension... I hope it really doesn't turn out to be 1 expansion a year. At best, probably 2 a year, so we'll see Dark Ages 4 years from now Either way, much like with many other games, I won't touch this until Dark Ages becomes available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was really bothered by that press release as well... it definitely seemed to imply that you needed to be online to play against bots and use the adventure mode. I hope that is not true.

STILL find it baffling that with the app release supposedly two days away we haven't gotten anything posted on BGG about it.

ackmondual wrote:
And the matter of exp are another thing.... I wanna try many games of Dark Ages. If this "app" is going to be similar to other iOS board games where they get released incrementally, one-by-one, then that's 7 expansions away. Given the rough schedule of games like Carcassonne and Ascension... I hope it really doesn't turn out to be 1 expansion a year. At best, probably 2 a year, so we'll see Dark Ages 4 years from now Either way, much like with many other games, I won't touch this until Dark Ages becomes available.

I hope that's not the case. People have been playing online versions for years with all of the available cards... if they dribble them out, I'd think people are going to get quite upset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:

ackmondual wrote:

I hope that's not the case. People have been playing online versions for years with all of the available cards... if they dribble them out, I'd think people are going to get quite upset.

Well, what choice is there? That seems to be the scenario in our time... something comes out for iOS, perhaps some of the free and unofficial apps get pulled (these have long since gotten expansions), but with iOS, the only game I know that got released with expansions are Roll Through The Ages (although this one did NOT have AI). Then you have games like Zooloretto and Nightfall that came with promos (you need to do some in-game achievement to unlock them though).

It can turn into a catch-22 where you only want the app if the expansions get released for them, but if you don't support the app when it's just the base game, then there may not be enough incentives for devs to go ahead and implement the expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

It can turn into a catch-22 where you only want the app if the expansions get released for them, but if you don't support the app when it's just the base game, then there may not be enough incentives for devs to go ahead and implement the expansions

The situation is different here though if the base game is free and their opportunity to make money comes from selling expansions . Here it would make sense to get out as many as possible as soon as possible. The amount of money the devs of a game like Carcassonne stand to make from expansions is likely smaller and the main revenue comes from that initial app purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've read and seen, I'm pretty sure they have most if not all of the expansions developed or under development already. I don't think the wait will be long for them if there is a wait at all.

I also expect this will be a stand alone app for iOS, at least I really hope so, one that can be played against AI or against online players using different operating systems to play the game. This is kind of what Days of Wonder has some with Ticket to Ride. If it's not a stand alone app though, as much as I love Dominion, I can't see myself really getting into the game. Sounds like the wait should be over soon though and we'll finally know what we're getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd sincerely hope they have a bundle, like Summoner Wars did with their iOS app-- free base game, but then... what? $9.99 to unlock everything? If they're going to be something like $5 per expansion, I'm going to have to seriously think about wether it'd be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
I'd sincerely hope they have a bundle, like Summoner Wars did with their iOS app-- free base game, but then... what? $9.99 to unlock everything? If they're going to be something like $5 per expansion, I'm going to have to seriously think about wether it'd be worth it.

Well, to be fair, $35 for the whole shebang (IIRC, +$10 more for 2 more exp to be released?) is still not too shabby... on par with the boxed copy of Dom, or 2 copies for those who get discounts from OLGS. However, as it also reeks of milking us of $$, it does seem to be alot. Then again, that's how the boxed copies feel too, so we're back to square one anyways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

I read this on the reddit thread in www.reddit.com/r/boardgames

"Base [Free], Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, and Dark Ages at launch"

Hope it's true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
STILL find it baffling that with the app release supposedly two days away we haven't gotten anything posted on BGG about it.

As do I. The news is well over 24 hours old at this point, and I'm reading about it all over the webs ... except at BGG.

What's the first rule of fightclub?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
SoylentRed wrote:

Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, yes. Dark Ages, I believe it will only have one third of it on launch. The large expansions are actually two smaller expansions each online (of 12-13 cards), and Dark Ages is so large that it's three. I have playtested one of the three Dark Ages sets online and have not seen the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apologies if I missed these, but:
-Will there be cross-platform play?
-Will purchases carry over across platforms for the same "account"?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainCosmic wrote:
monteslu wrote:
What's the first rule of fightclub?

There's no crying in baseball?

Attica! Attica!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
AstroLad wrote:
Apologies if I missed these, but:
-Will there be cross-platform play?
-Will purchases carry over across platforms for the same "account"?

Yes. Being platform-independent is one of their core concepts here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:

Base, Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, yes. Dark Ages, I believe it will only have one third of it on launch. The large expansions are actually two smaller expansions each online (of 12-13 cards), and Dark Ages is so large that it's three. I have playtested one of the three Dark Ages sets online and have not seen the other two.

Do you have any idea how much these different "packs" are going to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I hope this will have as slick of an interface as the unofficial fan created one that was on the app store for a while. If not, at least I still have that app on my iPad. I wasn't too impressed with screenshots I've seen of the official html5 version, but that can easily change once I can interact with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
Sweden
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

[/q]

Reading this post and thinking... $2.99 for half or a third of a big set? Perhaps won't be so cheap to get the full thing anyway. A bundle with most sets for $20 or so though, probably would be worth it for me

And, if bought expansions cross platforms as well, that would be really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too exited about it being HTML5, but we shall see.. hopefully it is a good implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jaeppel
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i will be spending zero dollars on this unless it is possible to play with the bought cards multiplayer offline.

"hey i have my pad, wanna play dominion?"

until i can say that with no strings attached i see absolutely no reason to rebuy digital dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.