Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Cooper
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As promised, here are some pics of the Leaders expansion given the same sci-fi makeover I performed for the base game (for more details on that project, see here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/830778/7-wonders-of-the-...).

Doing this was a bit more abstract than the base game - that had upgrade paths that you could play with, and types of buildings that you recognised, even if you didn't recognise the specific one. Characters are a lot harder, as they have to be either specific, or have little meaning for you to latch onto.

I guess the analogy is this - in the base game I could do a generic Genetics Laboratory, and players would understand what it was. But doing a generic Genetic Engineer is kinda tricky to do whilst still making them sound as powerful and as leader-like as, say, Alexander the Great In contrast, I *could* do a specific character - say Darth Vader... but it'd be a little like doing the Genetics Laboratory specifically from Species. And then a specific Space Station, like DS9 from Star Trek. And if you go that way, all of a sudden they'd all start feeling like the cards were from different universes, different stories.

So I decided to essentially make up a bunch of new characters. All I had to go on was their power, and essentially I tried to come up with a suitable and decent name to go with cool pictures of sci-fi characters I'd found, and tried to do so in such a way that people might feel able to perhaps try and fill in the gaps themselves, in their own imaginations.

I threw in a couple of subtleties that might have suggested that certain characters might be linked by either family or historical events. But I also left it vague enough that you might be able to imagine these characters coming from a broad span of consecutive futuristic civilisations. You might be able to wonder at the events that separated them, or that defined them.

But, if nothing else, I now have some Leader cards that have pretty-looking pictures of space-people on them, with all the icons and stuff that will allow me to play them with the base set re-theme. Which was the main idea Voila!

First up, the plain VPs leaders:

Then all those leaders relating to earning VPs for cards of different colours. On a side-note, the picture of Trader Ilveste is possibly my favourite of the set. It's hard to make out from the photo, but it's really an incredible concept piece.

After that, the leaders devoted to building discounts or bonuses. Hiver Flox is another favourite, mainly just because it's such a different vibe to the rest

Then the scientists:

And of course the fighty ones!

These two are based around the wonders. These are the example I mentioned above, in terms of leaders obviously linked by a historical event. I have no idea what The Reconstruction is, but it seemed to involve both humans and robots, and probably helped shepherd in the golden age represented by the sci-fi wonders themselves. And it sounds cool

These are a mixed bunch in terms of abilities. Big Bob is another favourote pic - my brother's called Rob and used to be a builder. I don't think they ever let him drive anything like this though

Finally the leaders associated with money or trade:

On top of that, I also needed to do the re-themes of the new guilds as well!

And there we go! Hope you enjoyed them Not done the Rome board equivalent yet, but it's on my to-do list now! Will update this post when I get to it, but if you've not seen the previous half of the project, check it out to see what I'll be aiming to match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Erfquake
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are amazing. Great Work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.