Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Basic Strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I've played 6 full games so far, four of them solo and two multiplayer. I've won 3 times so far and here are my thoughts on the basic strategy:

1) In the first day try to do one of the following, by the end of the first night try and do the other:
(a) Get down a dungeon as soon as one shows up or burn down a monastery to get an artifact.
(b) Conquer a Mage Tower and get at least a couple of spells.

2) Skills that give you mana tokens or crystals are really useful. Stopping at mines is also a good idea i.e. it's hard to conquer a city without a good stock of crystals.

3) You need to get a core tile out before the end of the second night so you can recruit elite units in Day 3.

4) The first city should be conquered before the end of Day 3 at the latest.

Obviously there are other things like levelling up, conquering keeps to increase hand limit and recruiting units early on but from my plays so far I find the points mentioned to be vital especially point 4.

What do more experienced players think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'd agree with that. I'd also add that it's not a good idea to advance through the map too quickly without enough of the powerful advanced actions/spells in your deck before you get to the final day & night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Lee
United States
FLORHAM PARK
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what you can do instead not what you want to do.
A lesson in life as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Brown
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I disagree. I hate to reduce everything to 'it's about the specific situation' but this advice is too prescriptive for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Maloof

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
tparel wrote:
1) In the first day try to do one of the following, by the end of the first night try and do the other:
(a) Get down a dungeon as soon as one shows up or burn down a monastery to get an artifact.
(b) Conquer a Mage Tower and get at least a couple of spells.

2) Skills that give you mana tokens or crystals are really useful. Stopping at mines is also a good idea i.e. it's hard to conquer a city without a good stock of crystals.

3) You need to get a core tile out before the end of the second night so you can recruit elite units in Day 3.

4) The first city should be conquered before the end of Day 3 at the latest.

For #1: You should always be very happy to see a dungeon. Mage towers are also good, though you'll probably take wounds conquering them. But I wouldn't typically burn a monastery too early in solo play. Not only is the reputation hit annoying, but ideally you want them to keep generating advanced actions for you to buy.

I definitely agree with #2, it's easy to underestimate the power of crystals.

#3 and #4, I suppose, but I would express the principle as "don't dawdle". Beating a city night 2 or day 3 is generally desirable, but really you want to do it whenever you can get your hand to be suitable - I had one game where Tovak somehow took out two gigantic cities both on night 3. (I think day 3 was spent clearing the surroundings and then detouring back to a mage tower to buy Tremor, without which he wouldn't have had a chance against the larger one.)

I would add that the better you get at the game, the easier you'll find it to arrange your hand to meet whatever challenges come your way, rather than trying to find particular location types to beat. Don't underestimate the value of killing orcs for fame, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.