Subject: Orleans Game Group - August 16 2012 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple
The next session of the Orleans Game Group will be held on Thursday August 16th, 2012.

We usually start just after 6:30 and go 'til about 10:00pm.

The address is: Canadian Legion Branch 632 - Orleans, 800 Taylor Creek Road. We meet upstairs. There is a bar and snacks available.

Please bring $2.00 as a donation for the Legion

Also please thumb up this post to move it to the boardgamegeek front page to attract more gamers and tell your friends to come out and play!

Also, note that hats are not allowed in the Legion and that one must dress respectfully.meeplemeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Are there any Dungeon Command players amongst you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:

Hey Mike

Can't say - I know some of them have had a lot of experience crawling around such beasts - I'm always interested in trying them myself but haven't tried any of that genre.

If you are coming bring it along - who knows you might find a kindred spirit - looks like it only plays with 2 though? Pity, still you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I shall be there - Bob has already given me a heads up that he'll be packing for his month in Europe

Yeah - life can be tough when you are retired can't it - LOL shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
rjbeeth wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:

looks like it only plays with 2 though? Pity, still you never know.

Nahh, you can play as many players are you want, the thing is, every player must have their own set (warband).

I currently own 2 warbands, so that we can skirmish (1vs1).

So I guess I'm really asking if anyone has purchased a set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angela and I are planning on coming out. Rick did you say you have a copy of cartogena? I would like to try that out if you do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Not sure Cameron or I will be there - doubtful since it's the wife's b-day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
Angela and I are planning on coming out. Rick did you say you have a copy of cartogena? I would like to try that out if you do!

I have Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest which plays very similar I think ( someone correct me if I'm wrong )

I'll make sure it's in the bag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhattersneverland wrote:
Not sure Cameron or I will be there - doubtful since it's the wife's b-day

Yep - understand your priorities...

Then again you could try...

"SURPRISE! We're taking you to a games night!!!" shake

Well it was a thought...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
rjbeeth wrote:
Mike1977 wrote:

looks like it only plays with 2 though? Pity, still you never know.

Nahh, you can play as many players are you want, the thing is, every player must have their own set (warband).

I currently own 2 warbands, so that we can skirmish (1vs1).

So I guess I'm really asking if anyone has purchased a set.

Ahhh the lightbulb goes on cool

Well bring it along and see what happens ... failing all else you might have an opportunity to play one on one! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjbeeth wrote:
I have Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest which plays very similar I think ( someone correct me if I'm wrong )

I'll make sure it's in the bag...

This game sounds fun. Consider me interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes!
Since I only now got home I guess I won't be making it tonight! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we had 7 players last night.

Got to play cartagena II - a light game that was decent. I'd say for the level of complexity it should be shorter though, 30-45 minutes is too long for such a basic game. There's a bit of strategy, but more than one player noted that the symbols alone make it feel like you're playing candyland :p

Played a "practice round" of mama mia - was tough to understand the concept, but I think next time I could play through a whole game to get the hang of it (if Collin keeps bringing it out which I'm sure he will!)

Finally we played a 4 player game of innovation which was a bit of a nightmare. The number of options and effects available is daunting, and things change constantly so its hard to plan ahead. I found myself just doing random things to speed the game up and see what would happen. By the end of the game my board was taking up half the table as all of my piles were "splayed", yet despite this optical dominance Kevin won the game largely off the back of a piddly level 1 card - never underestimate the power/importance of noodles?

I think the other table played Galaxy's Edge and "no thanks", and I didn't catch the name of the military game with "guys in the bunker".

A good session though, very much enjoyed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Jarvis
United Kingdom
Middlesbrough
Teesside
flag msg tools
So, my girlfriend's from Orleans, and we sometimes visit her parents there - a flicker of excitement, there's some Anglospherical gamers there!

Hang on, there's an Orleans in Canada now...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
I think we had 7 players last night.

Got to play cartagena II - a light game that was decent. I'd say for the level of complexity it should be shorter though, 30-45 minutes is too long for such a basic game. There's a bit of strategy, but more than one player noted that the symbols alone make it feel like you're playing candyland

Played a "practice round" of mama mia - was tough to understand the concept, but I think next time I could play through a whole game to get the hang of it (if Collin keeps bringing it out which I'm sure he will!)

Finally we played a 4 player game of innovation which was a bit of a nightmare. The number of options and effects available is daunting, and things change constantly so its hard to plan ahead. I found myself just doing random things to speed the game up and see what would happen. By the end of the game my board was taking up half the table as all of my piles were "splayed", yet despite this optical dominance Kevin won the game largely off the back of a piddly level 1 card - never underestimate the power/importance of noodles?

I think the other table played Galaxy's Edge and "no thanks", and I didn't catch the name of the military game with "guys in the bunker".

A good session though, very much enjoyed!

Great Summary Darcy - the military game was D-Day Dice and it went really well. We were having a bit of a tough go and some of us just barely all made it into the bunker victoriously... I had one soldier remaining, several others did as well - it was a close call all in all and quite stressful. ninja

That being said we were all on the training mission, we snuck a peak at some of the more "advanced" boards and they were more than intimidating! zombie

We were also all on a learning curve for Galaxy's Edge too. It's a more subtle game than it first looks, and we quickly learned that the alliances (for which I alas had none cry ) play a huge factor in winning the game. It also appears like a human alliance, if done right, can really rack up the points as well (which, personally speaking is only fair I would think laugh )

Then we filled in what little time was left with two quick rounds of No Thanks! which once again was a great and easy time filler.

A great turnout and some great games were played - here's to some more in two weeks! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.