Popular Tags: [View All]
David Marie
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rage is a 2-8 player trick-taking game from Fundex. You may have seen this game for sale in mainstream retailers such as Target and Wal-Mart right next to the copies of Uno and Phase 10.

In the box you get:

110 cards:

-6 suits (colors) each numbered 1-15

-14 action cards

Gameplay:

The game is played over ten rounds. In each round you will play multiple tricks depending on how many cards you have. So for instance you play ten tricks in round one, nine in round two, eight in round three and so on until you get to round ten where you'll only play one trick.

Each round has these steps:

1. Deal cards
2. Turn top card in draw pile to show trump
3. Write down how many tricks you think you will win this round
4. Play cards (one trick at a time)
5. Count your score

At the end of the tenth round the player with the highest combined score wins.

*Trick: Each player plays one card in turn order. The group of cards played when everyone is finished is called a trick.
example:
For 3-players: A Trick = 3 cards played
For 5-players: A Trick = 5 cards played

*Trick-taking games generally require you to follow suit. For example if someone plays a red card, if you have one, you must also play a red card.

Thoughts:

I've played Rage with two, three and five. It's kind of uneventful for two until you start getting to the later rounds where you have three or less cards. And if one player has an advantage the other player may find it hard to stay motivated until the end of all ten rounds. Especially since there is no penalty for not meeting your bid. So while it technically works with two, I would really only recommend you try Rage if you're able to get at least three to play. There are so many other great two player games out there. So if you only play with two, you can probably give Rage a pass. It certainly won't replace Blue Moon, Hemloch or any other two 2-player favorites in my group. Another issue is that the cards don't have any special markings for the colors so if you are colorblind you may not be able to play Rage at all which is unfortunate. I do have an older copy so hopefully when a reprint is released they'll have that worked out.

If you have a big game group though, Rage can play up to eight and It is very easy to teach new gamers. If you can see the card colors and count to fifteen you can play Rage. Seriously, I even played a few rounds with my mother who would rather do almost anything else besides sit down and play games with me. The easy game play and game altering action cards add just enough to make it a bit more eventful than trick-taking with a standard deck of cards. While there is fun to be had with Rage it will probably never get to the table with my normal game group. And it's not something I'm going to recommend over much better trick-taking games out there.

Geeklist:The Card Gamer's reviews
Geeklist 2:The Card Gamers Written Reviews
Blog: The Card Gamer Blog
Twitter: http://twitter.com/thecardgamer
Email: thecardgamer2000@gmail.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there biblios pictures in the review? Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Furman
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spacedogg wrote:
Especially since there is no penalty for not meeting your bid. So while it technically works with two, I would really only recommend you try Rage if you're able to get at least three to play.

In the edition I have, there is a -5 point penalty for not meeting your bid (and a +10 bonus for meeting your bid). That said, I agree with your point that it is hard to catch up in a 2 player game. The game plays much better with 3 or more.

Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.