Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://blog.kicktraq.com/board-games-kickstarter-a-gen-con-p...

Quote from the article:

Quote:

So, In honor of the Gen Con festivities and for all my loyal data addicts, I’ve put together some fun infographics about the massive growth of Board & Card games on Kickstarter in the past year and how it compares to last year.

The gist?

Boardgamers as a whole are willing to pay more for projects than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
That didn't seem the gist of the article at all [he posted that infographic last week on BGG, by the way].

Seemed like the point was that boardgamers spent more in 2012 on Kickstarter than they did in 2011.

There wasn't any mention at all of boardgamer spending vis-a-vis any other customer demographic.

[Unless you're counting "board gamers" as separate from "card gamers", "dice gamers," or "RPGers", which doesn't make much sense... even the last one.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
That didn't seem the gist of the article at all [he posted that infographic last week on BGG, by the way].

Seemed like the point was that boardgamers spent more in 2012 on Kickstarter than they did in 2011.

There wasn't any mention at all of boardgamer spending vis-a-vis any other customer demographic.

[Unless you're counting "board gamers" as separate from "card gamers", "dice gamers," or "RPGers", which doesn't make much sense... even the last one.]

Ah so he did. I did read that wrong as well. It's just more than last year, not more than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he missed an opportunity to separate out miniatures gamers, which are at least as far removed from board / card gamers as are RPGers. All three of those projects that he uses to make his case that Kickstarter has exploded are essentially miniatures games. Funding for stuff like Tammany Hall, Ground Floor, etc, has certainly been impressive, but nowhere near on this scale... it's just not the same market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
I think he missed an opportunity to separate out miniatures gamers, which are at least as far removed from board / card gamers as are RPGers. All three of those projects that he uses to make his case that Kickstarter has exploded are essentially miniatures games. Funding for stuff like Tammany Hall, Ground Floor, etc, has certainly been impressive, but nowhere near on this scale... it's just not the same market.

Agree. They are included on this Geeklist as well: Top 10 Funded Boardgame Kickstarter Projects.

Outside of Ogre, the top four seem to have received a giant spike in cash due mostly(in part?) because people are buying them just for the minis. It's hard to quantify "why" people fund a project, but I've read enough anecdotes (specifically with Sedition Wars and Zpocalypse) where people are getting them mostly for the components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.