Subject: Limit x times per phase or round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fishiste Fishiste
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Unresolved question on french forum:

New Protector of Lorien has now an action limited 3 times per phase. This kind of limit does exist already but on unique cards : Landroval and knowledge Aragorn, both limited to once per game. Eowyn has a limit of once per round and per player.

How do these limits count?

For Landroval and Aragorn, it seems that the rule is once per game for all exemplars of cards and all players. If my partner uses Landroval's ability and then I play my own Landroval, I won't be able to trigger its action.
I'm concluding to an aplication for all players because of Eowyn's ability, which has a limitation per player.

If I apply the same logic to Protector of Lorien, then the limit would apply to the action and not to the card. So all players would only be able to trigger the action of all Protector of Lorien in play 3 times and no more, whatever the number of copies of Protector of Lorien are in play.
This would mean that if my partner and I have both a hero engaged in quest, his with one protector and mine with 2 protectors, we will only be able to trigger the action 3 times, deciding together who will sacrifice cards.

Am I correct? Or does the limit apply per card (then in my example would we have the opportunity to discard 9 cards)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Landroval is unique, so only one can be in play in the entire game (not one per Hero). I think for Protector of Lorien, the limit applies to a single copy. So if 3 were in the game then a total of 9 cards could be discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougtempel wrote:
Landroval is unique, so only can be in play in the entire game (not one per Hero).

Yes, but Landroval leaves play when his ability is used, so another player could use a different copy at that time. However, I believe Fish is correct that "once per game" abilities affect all players.

I think PoL is per card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I'm pretty sure the intention is to limit the usage per card for Protector of Lorien.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
Landroval is limited to once per game per player. Here's Nate French's response to this question (from the consolidated thread over at cardgamedb http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1702-offic...):

Nate French wrote:
Question Submitted by "Booored" @ FFG

Q: - Landroval's ability, is it limited once a game per player? Or is it limited to once a game per-card? As in if you run 3 cards, can you use that ability 3 times, one for each card.
Also, if 2 players use Landroval, then can both players can activate their Landroval cards separately? I know you can only have 1 on the table at a time, but dose the "once per game" thing cover ALL players or only the player that controls the card. Lastly, we know that going into your hand dose not reset the "once per game" rule, but dose playing the card form your gravyard also not reset the ability? Thanks as always for giving us a defiant answer.

A: - Limits are player specific, each player can reach the limit.

"Per game" limits are not card specific, they refer to any copy of the effect under that player's control. If you have reached the "per game" limit, you cannot trigger that effect again, with another copy of the card in your deck, a copy of the card you gained control of from another player, or from the same card that has left play and re-entered the game.

As for PoL, that limit is indeed per card. If you have three copies of PoL in play, you can generate a total of +9 willpower/defense per round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fishiste Fishiste
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for your answers

The official answer for Landroval makes us conclude to a limit per card for the protector.

I don't think it's the logical choice : you want to limit an effect not the card this effect is written on. Also, create more limits for multiple players participates to an adjustment of the difficulty of the game (which is kinda easy for 4 players).

At least our debate is closed. Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls