Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Topic says it all. I'm looking for a good book giving a general overview of the battle, the only one I've managed to source so far is 'Fontenoy: Vol. 4' by Denis Gandilhon.

Are there any others out there? I'm willing to get something a little more detailed if necessary, and I don't mind if there aren't many (or any) illustrations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the Gandihon book, but I know that Mathew Hinkle (the designer of this game) does not recommend that book as an accurate representation of the battle - in fact he says it's full of errors.

One way to read about the battle in English (for free) is to read the section of Fortescue's History of the British Army that's dedicated to it.

http://archive.org/details/historyofbritish02fortuoft

Do you own the game? Mathew has a well-written account of the battle in the game-specific rules, and an extensive list of references. The best accounts of the battle are written in French and German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just ordered the game, and I expect it to come in the next couple of days.

As I know nothing of the battle itself (and very little of the period) apart from what I can glean from some websites, I thought it would be nice to get something to read to accompany the game. I did suspect that the game might come with a detailed overview of the battle, and it's nice to hear that I am going to get a good bibliography as well.

I'll wait for the game and see if I can source some of Mathew's sources. A bit of background history for the period and a reasonable account of the battle is what I'm looking for - and from what you say I am going to get that with the game!

Thanks for the weblink and the tip on the Gandilhon book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the better books for the period as a whole is Christopher Duffy's The Military Experience in the Age of Reason. It covers period spanned by all the games in the Battles from the Age of Reason series. It's focus is less on specific battles and campaigns and more about how the troops, officers, and armies conducted themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alasdair Campbell
Scotland
Isle of Skye
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you once again for the recommendation. I'm off to see if I can source a copy, as that's just the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_peabody wrote:
One of the better books for the period as a whole is Christopher Duffy's The Military Experience in the Age of Reason.

Excellent book, both informative and highly readable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.