Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Descent: The Road to Legend» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: 7th session down - Abandoned rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there, here's another first time AC but by players who have read tips and strategy for both sides. So who knows what will happen.... we sure made a couple mistakes (okay mostly just one huge one by me, read on). All expansions included, including SoB dungeons, rumours and even skills (just for initial draw).

Heroes
Nanok - Berserker - Player 1
Landrec - Blessing - Player 1
Grey Ker - Crack Shot - Player 2
Silhouette - Cautious - Player 2

Deadsider - Spider Queen - Ascension
-Into My Parlour
-Alric

Notes on heroes:
For this campaign, my players wanted to be able to have a couple certain characters, most notably player 1 wanted Nanok. I wanted a draw 3 pick one, but I was willing to let each player have one cherry pick after the draw, to get either a character they wanted to play or to fix their party. I don't recall each draws, but it was a good thing because Aurim and Eliam were in every draw practically. I think they got a good party, but not too strong either so its pretty fair. Player 2 wanted Runemaster Thorn originally as his pick, but settled on a local favorite Silhouette to improve the party, intended runner.

Notes on skills:
Didn't get anything too good really, I think they made the best draw choices from what was available (hate cautious, grr). I was a little worried about SoB skills at the risk of game balance, but they didn't draw any worth playing (I think Nanok got a ranged attack one, for example). For the rest of the campaign, we will only allow trainable skills to be obtained, in the case of Legendary Dungeons and such however.

Notes on Spider Queen:
I realize this might not be an appropriate choice for entry level heroes, but I've been a big fan of traps and was dying to use her soon as I saw her. If there's a restart I may choose a different Avatar but time will tell. That said, the initial upgrade was Into My Parlour. Whee! devil

Session report

Enter the Red Necromancer... with some really nasty skeletons. whistle

On the way to a dungeon, we get the Red Necromancer encounter in Box Canyon on an ambush no less. What a welcome, yikes. First time we encounter sleep of course, and it was rough going for the heroes. I believe Ker was on watch, and was taken down to 25% health in two or three shots, Nanok was woken with almost half health gone and it was starting to be a massacre. A turn or so later, I was moving the skeletons and checked the card for reference to make sure it was still 5 movement for them. I saw it said 6. I was a little shocked that they were so strong and then I looked carefully and..... Oops. Big big oops. I was playing SILVER monsters (anyone notice how silver icon doesn't really look very silver? argh...). We recounted and refunded some damage and played on and the end result was Ker dying and the heroes winning the encounter with a lot of damage. Things learned on both sides, including how bad luck can keep a hero asleep for practically an entire ambush (we may have people punch people awake next time, apparently Silhouette can sleep through anything) and the heroes are positively nervous about how strong Silver monsters will be. And I felt horribly embarrassed for using the wrong monster level.

Cold, cold reception at The Meat Locker cry
The dungeon they entered was Meat Locker (63?) from SoB. The heroes got some gold, popped a barrel for more gold and took some casualties. And by some I mean 3 deaths, including the big pointer Nanok. Ouch. No copper treasures gained but some decent cash. Had to back out and get another shop Axe for Nanok as his got Frosted off for more bad luck. Had a question about Into My Parlour though, as its not technically in my hand I assume I can't discard said cards for threat, but if I can it would be interesting. Anyway, after reminding them about the blitz strategy they decided to flee the level and call it a day.

Conquest Standings
I forgot my start of turn conquest but considering my monster mistake and casualties taken on our first time out I thought that it didn't much matter and left it as such. Heroes 3, Overlord 13.

Where to go from here:
I re-sent the Art of the Blitz link to my players, and I will encourage them to follow it more strictly and not stress about "losing dungeons". I have a good start towards my upgrade, but I was thinking of probably taking Eldritch anyway, cost 30 for the Queen. And out of mercy if the heroes have another rough go at it, I might delay the upgrade a little bit more and buy something cheap like Focused, Lawlessness or getting Big Trouble ready to deploy. I think my players successfully got their feet wet and learned some valuable things and have a capable party so I certainly don't think all is lost even if the initial play after all my excitement over finally playing RtL ended a little demoralizing for the party. But time will tell of course.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT
Should add one more thing. In the aftermath of the decision to flee the Meat Locker, I explained the rules on how to exit and flee and pointed out the proper method of visiting the Temple before bailing. One hero took a trip to the market and bought a Cloak of Deception who I believe was going to Grey Ker. I think I forgot to point out you can restock at the Alchemist as well, so I'll give the heroes the chance for a free visit there when we resume next sunday, if the heroes opt for it.

So to recap from memory without digging through the Save State boxes, I think the hero gear looks like this:

Nanok - Axe, Ring of Protection
Landrec - Immolation, Wizard's Robe
Grey Ker - Sling, Cloak of Protection
Silhouette - Iron Shield x2, Bow, Leather Armor, Ghost Armor.

Notes on gear:
Again, I might be off on some of the equipment but this was what I recall from day one. I did distinctly try to convince Player 2 how poor a choice a Bow was but I think they went with it because they were trying to be frugal in some places for bigger purchases for the Ring of Protection and Ghost Armor. And there's of course the old, "Yeah I know its bad but it can't be as bad as I remember." Then of course you consistently roll 1-2 damage only and yeah... its bad. I think he was going to replace it for a Sling at first chance. Also I think whatever potions they bought at the start was spent, a major change in gameplay right now for our group is getting used to the limited supply and not quaffing a yellow soda pop every other turn for crazy actions.

There think that's it, hopefully no more edits until next installment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: End of first session report
A good drawing rule we use is :

Each player draw 3 heros card simultaneously then each player can trade his full hand of heroes to another player. When they have all agreed, they choose one from their hand.

So the players have a choice between a 12 heroes panel and if their mix didn't suit their style they can switch with another player.

And be very afraid of Eldritch Silver monsters ! I recommand for the heroes to exit a dungeon is the Overlord is nearing the 25 XP mark, because they will really need all the stuff and exp they can get before facing Silver Master Undying Skeletons and Silver Sorcers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
They seem to have overlooked the possibility of one hero awakening the others. The hero on guard awakens the fighter, who in turn awakens the other two (using 2-3 fatigue for moving). That's three attacks, so that one can miss and be replaced, and still everybody is awaken and two heroes (ranged / magic) can begin hitting. Even a sling can one-shot a skeleton (4.9 damage average, only 4 needed), so this shouldn't have been the worst first encounter (compare with Razorwings).

The key concept here is : fatigue rejuvenates before the dungeon, whence they may spend it liberally for move and have two attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again BGG, time for another installment of our session report. My, the wind does change so easily...

Heroes (reflects end of session gear/upgrades)
Mace of Aver, Shillelagh, Ring of Protection, Belt of Strength

Immolation, Elven Robe

Grey Ker - Crack Shot - Player 2
Sling, Archer's Charm, Cloak of Deception

Silhouette - Cautious - Player 2
Falcon's Claw, Iron Shield x2, Leather Armor, Ghost Armor, Pack of Holding

-Into My Parlour
-Alric

Session Report

Playing Descent Whack-A-Mole
No encounter, party gets The Snake Charmer's Den (49). This one looked promising for the Overlord, sudden Master Naga strikes from pits from around the map. No such luck, heroes got her good and fast. This was quite a tide turning dungeon, as the last session had little treasure gains for the party. After the successful game of Whack-A-Mole, the remaining Ogre wasn't much of a threat. Oh, except for getting to play Whack-A-Mole right back with Nanok into a pit with knockback. Twice! Hoped for a third time but he didn't make it, and undying didn't kick in here. Bummer. We had a lengthy play session so I don't totally recall who died or what, but I'm sure I got a kill on Grey Ker. More on him later. Heroes got a lot of gold and two chests. Woot for them!

Exploding sacks of magic meat
This time also reaching the dungeon with no encounter, we pull The Mortician's Parlor (53). The most notable thing here was for every LOS normal sorcerer to the boss sorcerer, they explode on the party for some damage. None got hit by it, but everyone was having a lot of fun imagining the SPLORT from each corpse. Player 1 hoped to trigger a cascade of SPLORTING death when the creatures all jumbled up together, but alas- the damage was heroes only. Actually they did really well here, scoring gold and treasure and no deaths at this point. Infact they had just cleared the boss and were about to head up to leave with no trouble overall, when I had him die in a spot that gave a nearby hiding spawn site. What should appear? A beastmen war party who ran around a corner and killed Grey Ker in a single round from full health. Go beasties! devil

A really, really overgrown backyard
By this time, the heroes are hoping to get some cash as they've been padding the party upgrades properly. The Staff of the Wild was purchased, and after stopping in Riverwatch for some market time, they ran off to another dungeon. Still no encounter, and we drew The Secret Garden (42). Ouch, quite a tough map for them. The heroes felt they had no chance here, so it was a sacrifice play through killer trees and angry shades, to just send runner Silhouette out into the wild to try and score what she could. The rest of the group hung back and waited to poke some Dark Priests and eventual Blood Apes, doing well in the process. But not all was well for dear Silhouette, oh no. A pair of crushing blocks and being attacked constantly by a pitiful little Shade was doing just enough to delay her. Actually I nearly got a kill on her but wound up coming up one or two wounds short. The party basically said screw this and left, denying me free conquest. I'll get you next time gadget, next time. angry

I heard it was a good video game too
Drew Dragon's Lair (3) and still no encounters, blanked for this session in that respect. This was a pretty epic effort, as initially the heroes felt that there wasn't a chance to take on a boss Dragon, but then realized it wasn't all that hard compared to some. Anyway, Silhouette went on a run to get a glyph that was in dangerously close proximity to both a Troll and the boss Dragon, right between them in fact. She got greedy trying to see if she could sneak by to get more loot in a corner, and got stuck with nowhere to run from the Troll and Dragon in a pincer. Ow! Meanwhile, the rest of the party basically ran up, engaged some lesser mobs like a hellhound and then backed off and ran out from the starting glyph. While waiting for it to trigger, Nanok got bored and smashed Grey Ker in the face with a mace (hey that rhymed) for a kill. Or, he was just Dark Charmed. I prefer the former. Also, our Grey Ker player was convinced he is actually Kenny from South Park in disguise, he dies all the time and produces... well, nothing to the show (game in this case). As the main group loitered in town leaving Silhouette to die, she made an epic last stand. Doing what she could to take on both a boss and a Troll, she went hard at the Troll. Infact, she brought it almost down in the first Battle action, surviving with only 3 or so wounds left. She started being trapped by the two with near or full health, and while the Troll's Bash missed (not by power die, by red die. Figures...) the Dragon was doing a consistent 6 damage with Burn. Which he kept doing and kept doing... Before long, she was sitting with 3 wound and 3 burn tokens, when after planning on leaving her to die the rest of the poser heroes decided to actually become heroes and came rushing to her aid and popped out of a glyph behind the Troll and near the Dragon. Troll went down, and everyone heaped on the Dragon. Grey Ker finally got some hits in and nearly downed the Dragon with a huge contribution (his best in the campaign by far, whatta shot), but it was finished off by Silhouette. Who I might add, wore off two Burns of three just before she would have died. She may be a T-1000 Terminator, I`ll check the errata later. At the end Nanok rushes for a chest and the party successfully flees again, but not before old man Landrec buys a boat from the shop. Son of a submariner.

Conquest Standings
Forgive me for not doing a play by play of deaths, there was a lot going on to remember. However compared to last week of heroes 3, OL 13, there was a considerable jump in CT for team goody two shoes. Ended at Heroes 26, Overlord 25. Great job heroes! yuk

Where to go from here:

Well as those who have been following me along might recall I was debating on going a little easier on the heroes incase they had another rough go of it like last time. But this time strict adherence to the Rules of Blitz coupled with much better luck, draws and actually drawing some bleeping treasures, made a huge jump for them. As a result, I think I may have to take the kid gloves off and go hard now as an Overlord. They have the primary party upgrades in Staff of the Wild and the Boat, so now it will mostly be saving for upgrades and I know they are positively itching to get Secret Training at Olmric`s Hut done soon as their XP reaches 40 (saves them a return trip of course). As a result I had originally thought to get a silver eldritch upgrade at approximately 35 CT, buying something cheap in the meantime. Right now, I don`t think that`s a good idea anymore. I`ll be looking to hit 30 and upgrade I think, and Alric is about to begin rolls for a raze of Frostgate at the start of the next session. I`m playing Ascension, so if he succeeds that would be my upgrade right there. After that, I think I need another LT as I need to start applying map pressure and making them plan some destinations, and probably Treachery right after that. I am unsure of which though, 20 is the cost for good ol` Crushing Blow, however I think I could do some solid damage if I took traps instead for my cheap treachery. However, the event treachery might be better spent on other tricks like Rage and Quick Shot for the LT, hmm. Decisions decisions. Also come silver campaign level, I`m unsure if I should boost Beasts to Gold or Eldritch, as it seems like a Spider Queen should have some effective spiders at some point. And while its costly, I think I`d like her Spider Upgrade for Pierce 2 and Burn, its just ridiculously overpriced at 20. Siege Engines probably a better choice, but I don`t know... fiery spiders seem great when Slaggorath hits the board. Opinions?

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: End of session 2!
Player 2 here. Just as a note, Grey Ker has died more often than the rest of the party combined at this point, and is completely deserving of the name Kenney.

Also, Silhouette is apparently immortal as she managed to mortally wound a troll and take out a dragon while ON FIRE. She has previously KO'd the final boss of in Vanilla Descent with something like 1 HP remaining and a zillion poison markers despite having a door explode in her face and about 78 other encounters that should have killed her.

Ker, on the other hand, has, I believed, survived exactly one dungeon without dying.

Ker is a red shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last couple weeks we had some gameday delays including a player on holidays and now a player in the hospital after getting run down by an SUV. When we resume, there will once again be updates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
I am unsure of which though, 20 is the cost for good ol` Crushing Blow, however I think I could do some solid damage if I took traps instead for my cheap treachery. However, the event treachery might be better spent on other tricks like Rage and Quick Shot for the LT, hmm. Decisions decisions. Also come silver campaign level, I`m unsure if I should boost Beasts to Gold or Eldritch, as it seems like a Spider Queen should have some effective spiders at some point. And while its costly, I think I`d like her Spider Upgrade for Pierce 2 and Burn, its just ridiculously overpriced at 20. Siege Engines probably a better choice, but I don`t know... fiery spiders seem great when Slaggorath hits the board. Opinions?

Thanks for reading!

You don't have to pick crushing blow with your event treachery all the time - you repick your treachery every new dungeon or encounter.

Beast should be your choice to upgrade to gold even if you upgraded Eldritch is copper level. The Eldritch silver->gold upgrade is realtively weak, and the Beast one relatively strong (eg many beasts get a second green dice) + beasts are generally tougher and get more out of the wound/armour boosts.
Also Lt encounters are starting to become more important by silver campaign and between Slaggorath and Eliza Farrow, and even Alric, you have a lot of beasts supporting your Lts.

But IMO, when you have Into My Parlour already (right?) the first treachery should always be trap.
You can put the crushing block/scything blades combo into the parlour and there is nothing they can do about it (outside feast like disarm).

ABCD

First hero moves down a corridor. When he gets to 2 (or B), you play the blades covering 2-3 (or B-C). He suffers that then moves out of the blades from 2->C or (B->3), whereupon you drop the block on him and place him back on 2 (or B), suffering the blades again. He still needs to move through 3 (or C) again to get around the block too. And all the following heroes need to move through the blades as well to get past the block.

How could anyone possibly not choose this as their first really cool trick with treachery?
Heck, you only need to do it once and they will be totally shitting themselves every time they move down a corridor while you have your IMP cards unused...

Section_8 wrote:
Player 2 here. Just as a note, Grey Ker has died more often than the rest of the party combined at this point, and is completely deserving of the name Kenney.

Also, Silhouette is apparently immortal as she managed to mortally wound a troll and take out a dragon while ON FIRE. She has previously KO'd the final boss of in Vanilla Descent with something like 1 HP remaining and a zillion poison markers despite having a door explode in her face and about 78 other encounters that should have killed her.

Ker, on the other hand, has, I believed, survived exactly one dungeon without dying.

Ker is a red shirt.

That is entirely normal and expected. Its a team game, and the heroes win or lose as a team. One hero will be the easiest or most efficient to kill for the OL due to role, kit, stats etc, and so will be targeted. But that doesn't make that hero any less a valuable part of the team, or necessarily weaker than the other heroes. That hero usually has a significant other strength (like speed, or hard hitting) at which it is better than the other heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: Concludes 3rd session!
Hello again BGG! After a few real world delays including holidays and a player being run over by an SUV (hello Section_8!) we're back for another installment.

Mace of Aver, Shillelagh, Ring of Protection, Belt of Strength

Immolation, Elven Robe

Grey Ker - Crack Shot - Section_8
Falcon's Claw, Archer's Charm, Cloak of Deception

Silhouette - Cautious - Section_8
Sling, Iron Shield x2, Leather Armor, Ghost Armor, Pack of Holding

-Into My Parlour
-Alric

Session Report

The first big dungeon push
Heroes have decided they are going to prepare 40CT and 2500 gold to take to a first trip to Olmric's, and with a broke party coffer and the overlord on the verge of 30CT to take an Eldritch upgrade, the consensus was to push a little harder and go a dungeon deeper unless things go really badly. With Alric failing a raze roll at Frostgate there was no upgrade, so away we went.

Nothing but net
Drawing The Gallows (57) with a boss Giant with Knockback and a rule for damage when knocking back against a wall, the heroes ultimately had little trouble. The giant proved too slow despite reach to get to heroes before they felled him. At one point there was a good shot on Nanok to bounce him off the walls with knockback for 3 damage plus into a pit for 2, but a well timed Blocked feat prevented it. Feeling strong despite Trapmaster being put into play and probably bolstered by punching bag Grey Ker not dying, they ventured ever onward. However on the way to the next level, traps spelt the death of Ker anyway, thus meaning the monster upgrade will occur at the next turn. Feeling some pressure to attack the Overlord while his monsters are at their weakest, they pressed on.

Does it smell like burnt Ker in here?
This time it would be Eternal Prisoner (24), which has a captive boss demon that has an automatic spawn of a lone Razorwing. Freeing the creature would unlock the runedoor and allow it to move, otherwise you may kill it by picking it apart at a distance. Confidence and a real world time limit would prove to be difficult issues for them to deal with. Originally the tactic of whittling out lowly minions such as kobolds, skeletons and the spawning razorwings, while taking pot shots at the captive demon was working well. However time was becoming an issue and that began to force mistakes on both sides. For myself, I missed an opportunity to kill runner Silhoutte on a great run triggering a glyph, chest and gold pile (Trapmastered exploding chest missed.... arg), while the heroes in an effort to push through to Save State at dungeon level 3 took an extra casualty in Grey Ker and a cursed Landrec. Ultimately the demon proved too durable to kill, the ranged attackers couldn't do enough to fight armor 6 and fear 2 and the slow trickle of monsters coming in the firing lines ate up time. As a result of the time this level took, I not only decked the OL cards for 3CT, got Doom! in play for the later half. They did manage to advance to the next level to Save State, but there is some dissention as to whether they should push a little farther on level 3 or abandon all hope (to ye who enters). What pains the heroes is about 4CT and 400 gold away from making the very valuable secret training plus a skill trip (most likely the rapid fire skill).

Conquest Standings
Heroes pulled ahead early in the session, but I brought it back with some added real time pressure. Heroes 36, Overlord 38.

Where to go from here:
Our group has not had much success in even seeing outdoor encounters, we`ve only had one so far (despite taking a Red danger path today to try to force one). This means it feels like the only way to get the precious little more resources the heroes need seems to be dungeon delving. If they continue through level 3, I will still have copper creatures. If they back out now, they will be short their goal and I`ll upgrade and be in prime position to buy a treachery the following turn. I think they are going to scout it out and see what we draw, perhaps a good run getting a glyph and a gold pile would be enough to help them out. Otherwise if they get some encounter luck as well. However I`m pretty loaded for level 3, a full hand of cards plus Trapmaster and Doom! in play (not to mention refreshing Into My Parlour), and IIRC about 30-ish treachery. Any heroes that play on dungeon level 3 will have to tread very carefully indeed. Nonetheless, it will be great fun to see both sides gain our first AC upgrades next session.

Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: Concludes 3rd session!
Deadsider wrote:
If they continue through level 3, I will still have copper creatures. If they back out now, they will be short their goal and I`ll upgrade and be in prime position to buy a treachery the following turn.

This is the key.
Yes, you are powered up, but next dungeon you will have silver monsters. Thats a much bigger powerup usually (especially Eldritch - there are very very few dungeon levels without a large eldritch contingent available).
Sure, they should see what the level is before committing (we always draw the next level so heroes can think about whether to run it or not and the home player can set up in advance).

Quote:
(not to mention refreshing Into My Parlour),

What makes you think it refreshes?
At the start of each dungeon, you may search through your Overlord deck for up to two trap cards and place them facedown on this card. These traps may be played as though they were in your hand, but do not count against your hand limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Real life time pressure kills are lame. Grey Ker is lamer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Section_8 wrote:
Real life time pressure kills are lame. Grey Ker is lamer.

Time pressure is something for the player to absorb. Its a gaming skill, just as its a real life skill

Grey Kerr is a decent runner-ranger. He has concentrated dice and can wear chain-mail without an effective penalty. He allows unusual flexibility, which is excellent for a runner.

There will always be one hero that gets targeted. That doesn't make that hero lame.

Your biggest problem with the party is that you have two runner-rangers, and ranged is the weakest damage dealing attack type (especially if you fail to draw a real combat boosting skill, which Crack Shot is not). So you are splitting your resources (treasures and skill) in what is already the weakest area for combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Quote:

What makes you think it refreshes?
At the start of each dungeon, you may search through your Overlord deck for up to two trap cards and place them facedown on this card. These traps may be played as though they were in your hand, but do not count against your hand limit.

Maybe I misunderstood, but each dungeon is equal to each dungeon card?

Quote:
RtL rules, pg17:
Each level is generated separately from the others

Quote:
Into My Parlour
At the start of each dungeon, you may search through your Overlord deck

I see the logic in one "dungeon" being the same location (ie Bitter Downs as a solitary dungeon), but it seemed to me the rules indicate multiple start of dungeon cards being the trigger for Parlour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:
corbon wrote:
Quote:

What makes you think it refreshes? :what:

Maybe I misunderstood, but each dungeon is equal to each dungeon card?

Quote:
RtL rules, pg17:
Each level is generated separately from the others

Quote:
Into My Parlour
At the start of each dungeon, you may search through your Overlord deck

I see the logic in one "dungeon" being the same location (ie Bitter Downs as a solitary dungeon), but it seemed to me the rules indicate multiple start of dungeon cards being the trigger for Parlour.

Not in the slightest. A level is one card or rumour/legendary/keep map. A dungeon is at a location and has 3 levels (4 for legendary dungeons, 5 for Keep).

Even your quote above says each level is generated separated, which it is, but it is still part of the same dungeon.

RtL pg6
Dungeons
Dungeons are quests of three levels each. Their levels are drawn randomly from the Dungeon Level deck, and joined to each other by portals. The monsters populating a given dungeon level are usually headed by a named leader.

RtL pg17
Each dungeon consists of three levels, which are linked together by portals. Each level is generated separately from the others, when the heroes enter it, and each dungeon’s levels are explored sequentially, one at a time.

Note that the Dungeon Level Setup section on pg17 has a bad flaw where it confuses and mixes the setup at the start of the dungeon and the setup at the start of each level. This is covered in the FAQ (pg19)

At the start of a dungeon you set up the deck, start with 3 cards, set up IMP and similar stuff, then set up the first level. At the start of the second/third level you keep the cards and threat etc as they were at the end of the previous level, and set up the new level (only thing changes is the reinforcement eyes flip back to open).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake, will be corrected next session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
I'll have to keep the chain mail in mind. Other than setting him up with say Rapid Fire, any other suggestions on how to make him more offensive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Section_8 wrote:
I'll have to keep the chain mail in mind. Other than setting him up with say Rapid Fire, any other suggestions on how to make him more offensive?

Chain mail as a runner is one of his strengths (especiually with your party not having any other heavy armour users) - he's slower than most runners, but not by much and has high fatigue.

Yes, Rapid Fire is the obvious combat skill, especially with his high fatigue. Then/otherwise you can target Eagle Eye (Pierce 2 is close to +2 damage much of the time, +1 range and the better damage kit like crossbows etc are often shorter ranged), Inner Fire (+2R+1D), Blessing and Master Archer (2~).

Blessing is a brilliant early skill because it can boost the whole party and add up to +5 or more damage in a single turn. A lot of people don't rate it because it doesn't grow with campaign level - my answer is that copper level is when you really need the boosts (later in its either overkill or underkill), not not mention Rapid Firing can make even a +1D boost quite significant, or that its not just boosting one hero.
I'm not a huge fan of Master Archer early on, because the best copper ranged weapon by far is the Ripper, which doesn't use surges anyway (but is still the best copper weapon for Ranged).

Consider Chainmail, a Crystal Shield, Archers Charm, Bracers of protection, Ripper and Blessing, for example and you are rolling BGYbbbb (add a die with fatigue because you will probably earn it back) Pierce 3 +2R, +1D, rerolling one die (X if you miss, 1D green or a blank or surge power dice) and surges all (2, but any more are wasted) are spent on +1F recovery. You have armour 3 and shield the first two wounds.
Thats only one upgrade, and a few pieces of kit.
Add RoP too if you are the one most often targeted by the OL Thats situational, but makes sense for the party to put it wherever the OL judges the vulnerable spot to be).

Edit: + of course, adding dice upgrades boosts combat effectiveness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again BGG, another week another session update.

Bone Blade, Mace of Aver, Shillelagh, Ring of Protection, Belt of Strength
+1 Black Die
+2 Fatigue

Immolation, Elven Robe
+1 Black Die
+4 Wounds

Falcon's Claw, Archer's Charm, Chainmail
+1 Black Die
+2 Fatigue

Silhouette - Cautious - Section_8
Sling, Iron Shield x2, Cloak of Deception, Ghost Armor, Pack of Holding
+2 Fatigue

-Fire Temple
-Into My Parlour
-Alric
-2 Trap Treachery
-Silver Eldritch

Session Report

Slow pitch with a Giant

So our intrepid heroes decided to push on through dungeon level 3 despite a set up OL with Trapmaster/Doom! a 30+ wad of threat and a full hand. They knew that it was up to the third and final level to get some gains before Eldritch upgrade hit and away we went. We drew Throwing Stones (38) and it comes with a few one space piles of rubble and an angry Giant that can toss them with yellow dice instead of his attack. If the thrown rubble goes through a target its minor damage, but if the rubble lands directly on a figure they have a small chance to get out of the way or be insta-killed. Who would ever think that would happen hmm? Well, first round the Giant moved up to the party and there was a lot of figures in the area (8 actually), and despite all the attacks by the heroes AND Overlord... every single one was a crit miss with a big ol' X. Little did we know this would set a standard for a weird day for dice. The next turn wasn't so great for the OL as most figures dropped from battle actions, but the Giant decided to toss a rubble, and sure enough it landed squarely on a terrified Landrec and crushed him from full health. Huh, what a way to go... especially after all the X's. The rest of the dungeon wasn't too eventful as X's kept getting rolled, but also Silhouette converting a trapped exploding chest (with trapmaster and SQ bonus) to one point of damage. She may indeed be a terminator. However, the heroes still took a few casualties but did manage to thwart the rock tosser and then wrap it up. They were a little short cash for the intended Secret Training plus 3 dice upgrades but hoped to get an Encounter on the way to push them to get it. Crit miss X count: At least 25.

Hitting the open road

Heading south to Olmric's Hut, the party finally had our second outdoor encounter. And it turned out to be the free treasure one (I forget the name sorry), so they got the cash they needed for a spread of dice. So once again, our gaming group's experience was only one encounter on day one. On the way there, I upgrade to Silver Eldritch and get lucky on my raze roll and Frostgate falls. Good stuff. They spend another turn to up some dice and I take a trap treachery while Alric trudges off to find a new target. Alric soon begins the razing of Greyhaven and the plucky heroes decide to beat feet and head him off before it falls (no Wind Pact yet!). Oh, and I pick up another Trap Treachery.

Snakes without a ladder

On the way back to Greyhaven we finally get an honest-to-goodness outdoor encounter. We pull Frozen Pass with an alone Medusa with regeneration and a nasty trick- If it lands two hits on the same target on the same turn, roll a power die and if its blank its an instant kill. I'm sure that'll never happen on weird dice day.... right? Well, the Medusa fought this by starting near the camp and kiting the group backwards all the way to the exit. The ranged attacks weren't doing too much against the regeneration and stopping in trees along the way. Often the critical hero would slip on the ice and the Medusa only did once at a time that didn't matter. Silhouette broke the laws of probability by starting with only 4 wounds and managed to cheat death from 2 crushing blocks and Medusa shots, surviving the Encounter on a single remaining wound. Grr. Landrec however wasn't as lucky as the Medusa turned him to stone and insta-killed him with the special powers. Such a day for dice. Desperately fending off attacks while trapped in a tree, the Medusa couldn't stun enough targets and was finally worn down. In total probably took 60+ wounds though, crazy. Crit miss X count: At least 15. Weird.

Conquest Standings

At the end of the session the heroes walked away with a beating but made some good strong personal gains. Heroes 47, Overlord 69.

Where to go from here

Was interesting to finally play with some upgrades from both sides, although I didn't get a chance to actually see my monster upgrade in action yet. I scored two points of trap treachery so I feel I have a fair shot at self defense for the upcoming challenge to Alric, and I know the heroes feel that there isn't a ton left of upgrading to do in Copper (I'm inclined to agree) and they may be aiming for Copper's Legendary Dungeon as they know its a good cash reward to prepare for Silver age as we just passed the halfway mark. The party has felt like boosting the strong characters has been the more effective use as opposed to rounding out the group and I have to agree with how its been working so far. Of course, dice rolls were very strange today so who knows what will lie in store. As for myself, I'm probably going to look at Siege Engines and then either another LT or more treachery, it'll probably depend on what I have to work with after the Alric siege settles. After that I'll be planning on going into Silver age with a CT stockpile for some quick monster upgrades. Now here's hoping we don't keep getting crit misses all day long next time lol.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Re: Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: Updated to end of 4th session!
Yeah, we're pretty much hosed. All we can do now is a suicide run on the lieutenant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know I really enjoy writing these reports for getting clear thoughts on strategy and feedback from the community here (and maybe entertaining some of you). Not to mention being able to recap your game and realize, "yeah this part went good... but this part was a disaster." And sometimes you can use these to read what was going on and realize you goofed in the rules big time again.

Look who was too excited to have treachery and used it in a regular encounter? Yeah, this guy. Supposed to come into play in LT encounters only. My bad. I didn't get a kill with the cards but I'll refund some damage to put Silhouette back up to her four she started with. I like to play hard but fair and I'm sorry for that guys.

Section_8 wrote:
Yeah, we're pretty much hosed. All we can do now is a suicide run on the lieutenant.

I think you over estimate the "suicide run" here. You don't have to play to the point of Total Party Kill and it would be very foolish of me to risk a LT too deep in the encounter that I couldn't flee if so inclined. If it does go bad for you, it shouldn't be too hard to flee one or two off the map even if I kill a hero. Then again as long as the dice isn't against everybody....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadsider wrote:

Section_8 wrote:

I think you over estimate the "suicide run" here. You don't have to play to the point of Total Party Kill and it would be very foolish of me to risk a LT too deep in the encounter that I couldn't flee if so inclined. If it does go bad for you, it shouldn't be too hard to flee one or two off the map even if I kill a hero. Then again as long as the dice isn't against everybody....

With vaguely competent heroes, especially if they prepare properly stocking up on potions and feats, what looks like a scary-ass Lt encounter actually usually ends in either the Lt fleeing on turn 1 or dying suddenly and horribly on the hero turn 2/3 - which can be crippling for the OL.

And frankly, unless the Lt is seiging Tamalir, everything else is expendable.
I'd be looking for one more upgrade if possible first - dice for Landrec, Wind Pact for Silhouette (be aware that dice upgrades can come in pairs too which is much more efficient if you can afford it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: 5th session complete
Hello BGG, here's another update on our first AC!

Session Report

To Chase the Black Knight
For the first order of business, the heroes decided that Greyhaven was not to fall to Alric as they required some training there. After conferring with each other (and myself for coaching), they decided to prepare a little bit more for our first upcoming LT fight. Thusly they decided one attempt to dungeon delve and get some extra strength was in order, as well as power potions and some feats, was going to be the plan of attack before engaging. Seemed like a good plan thus far, as they would have time to go deep and then make a run at him before he began raze rolls. But, was it successful? Read on.

'Cause this is thriller, thriller night, and no one's gonna save you from the beast about to strike
Our group drew The Graveyard (7), which was going to be our first (legit, if you recall our first report) experience with the dreaded Silver Eldritch monsters and this map had a lot of them. Technically, infinite ones as in the graveyard there is a constant one-for-free spawn of a lone skeleton reaching out of the grave. Not to mention the boss skeleton getting an instant revive if he dies within a few spaces of a regular normal skeleton. Quite the fun hook for a trial run I had thought. Well, compared to the normal blitz strategy our group has been employing, or Grey Ker and Silhouette player Section_8 suggested to go out on offense and clear the map first before going for the loot. In the end, it was a very good call. While silver skeletons are a good deal stronger than the regular copper ones, the heroes were doing damage very well and killing most targets they Battled at. I did have a master Dark Priest in there to mess some heroes up however, and boy did he. I must say Dark Priests may be may favorite unit as those rolls with Dark Prayer are just crazy. I believe the priest knocked out the heavy hitter Landrec and wreaked some general havoc, but he was dropped by Nanok and Black Cursed for his troubles. The turning point was undoubtedly a strong play by Nanok and his knockback mace to put the boss deeper into the midst of the party and away from a sacrificial reviver skeleton. The boss fell and the heroes mopped it up with barely a loss. A little disappointing for silver eldritch I felt, but it definitely had its shining moments with the master priest. I did get to drop Doom! before the floor ended however.

Now your playing with Portals
This time we drew Reflections (34) and it looked to be a pretty fun map. Imagine one way corridors branching off with all the magic gateway portal types leading from one end to the other like a maze of loops. Valve would approve of this map. That said, the bosses were none to special in a skeleton and manticore, however both had to die to unlock the red door. The loadout for this one only had two creatures, but also had the very first ever Chaos Beast, who was a master nonetheless. The heroes felt rather intimidated at the chaos beast's 23 wounds and 7 armor rating, who with Morph for green dice coupled with sorcery hit like a truck. After a failed attempt to kill the miniboss skeleton (practically microboss, it was weak) it ran off to start the portal chase game and the heroes felt it was too dangerous to have that Chaos Beast on the loose coupled with a master manticore boss. What also didn't help was a worn down cursed Nanok getting bled out to critical by a master ferrox and falling to his death in a trap pit after surviving that skirmish. At one point all heroes but the super survivable Silhouette were in town licking their wounds, and she made a desperate attempt to flee to a glyph that was away from the heavy hitters. Alas, they hung around where she needed to be and she finally, finally went down for the first time in our campaign. Felt good man. The heroes begun buying out power potions and getting ready for the main event.

Return of the Red Necromancer from Day 1
On the way over to Alric we got an encounter. Getting a blast from the past, we encountered the same first battle in AC we ever had. Last time, I accidentally started with silver stat monsters. This time I had it legitly, and wondered how it would go. In short, uneventful. Peaceful Glade was drawn, and while the newly defeated Silhouette went down for the count again to prove the last time wasn't a fluke, the heroes managed an easy flee to bigger and better things.

Its just a flesh wound, sir!
Deciding they were as ready as they were ever going to be for Sir Alric, the heroes challenged him for control of Greyhaven. His encounter was Corrupted Forest, and he mostly spent his time hanging out in trees beside 3 possible exits. What happened here basically was all his minions fell instantly and did basically nothing (shocking, I know) while Alric decided not to flee the first turn but see what he can do in an offensive situation. Dangerous tactics indeed! At first, it seemed to go well. A Blessed Landrec was boosting a Battling Nanok who would have done an awful lot more damage if not for Alric having a Dodge order up, reducing the two attacks to around 7 wounds total. Not bad, I thought, I regenerated most of that and then had a chance to Battle on an approaching full health Grey Ker. Well, the bugger lived and came up exactly 1 wound short when it was all said and done and to make matters worse, I was totally surrounded. I realized that with having 28 wounds left I would probably live and decide to run off the board and flee safely. It seemed like a good plan, however I certainly felt how much stronger power potions can make heroes. Battle actions abounded and very soon I was 25 wounds down with Silhouette with a full turn to go. I panicked, I was out of tricks. Her first attack luckily was fairly weak, only doing a meager 3 wounds to bring him up to 28. I lived just barely, and now I needed a severely weak damage roll to survive. The second attack came and recalling our last session up comes.... a big old X for a crit miss. PHEW! I very nearly lost my first and only LT in a bad gamble to see what he could do in copper, and then debated what to do on my turn. I could have attacked while moving off the board and provided I did a single wound of damage to Grey Ker I could have killed him and safely ran away... but they had a hand of feats. Fearing some kind of guard interrupt type of feat like Backstab and how closely I came to losing my only LT I elected to declare a run and ran like hell. I never did find out if they had any such feat. Oh well.

Crisis averted, so on to bigger things... Legendary things
In the LT aftermath, the heroes tried out a couple rumor cards and found one they liked and settled it in the northwest of the map near Greyhaven. Successfully defending the city they took the time to train a couple key skills, notably Wind Pact for runner Silhouette and Prodigy for the glass cannon and primary offensive hero Landrec. I sure couldn't fault those choices to be sure. Other heroes bought out the Alchemist and traded in a Bone Blade and the semi-useful Shillelagh for a Dragontooth Hammer that was at the Market. The group decided on going for the nearby Legendary Dungeon, as we are floating around the 150 total conquest mark and may lose the chance to come out with some good cash gains. While they trained, I bought Lord Merrick Farrow and had him tag along with Alric in the direction of The Forge, and on the turn walking out to the Legendary Dungeon I built some Siege Engines as well.

Watch your step, floor looks rather sharp

For our first level we drew Two by Two (20), a map with two sections separated by ? tiles that require everyone to step on to open a rune door, which they have to do twice, and a boss naga with Ironskin. Initially the loadout with eldritch was not too good, a couple master skellies and some normal Dark Priests, which did manage to wreak some havoc and make a timely kill and some heavy damage across the party, but nothing too notable occurred here other than a lone skeleton surviving his Undying twice. Just when things looked safe for the heroes however, a sorcerer spawn caught the weaker links off guard and softened up yet another pair of targets by knocking no less than 2 Rest orders off. What I recall most was the heroes spending most of their fatigue and declaring rest actions as they began to cross a lone 2x8 corridor to the other half of the map that the boss naga was sitting at. Little did they know I was baiting for threat... As it happened, Nanok was the one I wanted to stroll down the corridor and sure enough a Scything Blades came out from being Into My Parlour. Eating the damage, he begun to explain how he was expecting a Crushing Block next, and some debate on the hero team began to occur. What eventually happened was Nanok stepped directly beside the blades and ended movement there. Eventually Silhouette would attempt a run action through the open spaces and yes, a lump of concrete fell from the ceiling on her, putting her onto the blades. This would mark the first time I managed to pull this combo on my group and I certainly hope it won't be the last. Was very amusing too, Nanok was so panicked about it he nearly charged right ahead onto the second space to avoid the Block. I definitely will have some fun with mindgames on this one next time. After every party member danced on the blades lots of wounds were had but no kills made, although the naga went down pretty easily. I suppose after getting conditioned to silver monsters a copper naga sure isn't much of a threat to stomp on. I will add that a very injured Nanok brought down the naga in a single full Berserker fury and fatigue spending attack however, was pretty awesome even if I was on the receiving end. Afterwards he was rewarded with a drop in a pit for a kill and a severely wounded Grey Ker took a Dark Charm of his own to suicide himself. Which was funny too as their Wind Pact killed my other copy of Dark Charm at the start of the map. Heh, gotta love treachery. Oh and like I always seem to do, I got Doom! out as well.

Conquest Standings

Slow but steady gains for the heroes in conquest, and I made off like a bandit for conquest as well. Heroes 62, Overlord 96.

Dragontooth Hammer, Mace of Aver, Ring of Protection, Belt of Strength, Power Potion x2
+1 Black Die
+2 Fatigue

Landrec - Blessing, Prodigy - Player 1
Immolation, Elven Robe, Power Potion x3
+1 Black Die
+4 Wounds

Falcon's Claw, Iron Shield, Archer's Charm, Chainmail
+1 Black Die
+2 Fatigue

Silhouette - Cautious, Wind Pact - Section_8
Sling, Iron Shield, Cloak of Deception, Ghost Armor, Pack of Holding, Power Potion x2, Fatigue Potion x2
+2 Fatigue

-Fire Temple
-Siege Engines
-Into My Parlour
-Alric
-Merrick
-2 Trap Treachery
-Silver Eldritch

Where to go from here

Well interestingly enough, I definitely felt the disparity between conquest totals not reflecting the game. I noticed I'm up with a decent but not runaway lead, and to be quite honest I felt the heroes were considerably stronger at least in performance. A well timed rout of Alric was very key for them as it brought in Wind Pact and a damage skill for their glass cannon, and while I finally got to play around with my first monster upgrade I didn't feel it was as strong as I had thought it might be in my head. Granted, I have Siege Engines and two LTs now which are going to make for some fun map pressure soon, but right now I can't help but feel a little disheartened in my play. I'd go so far as to say it feels like the heroes are able to get much stronger for less than what I can spend by comparison. On the other hand though, its not like a win is realistically possible in copper anyway and I can get kills for the most part. I guess all the cool stuff will come later however. As for the right now, both the heroes and myself are beginning our preparations for Silver age. I have a solid 22 unspent CT and will be holding onto it for some monster upgrades once the change hits. The heroes are planning to finish the Legendary Dungeon with realistic expectations that they may take heavy casualties, but its to get some good cash gains so that they can run to Riverwatch for silver gear right at the time change as well. Seems to me both sides have an even match plan going in, as we are at 158 right now. And if the dungeon doesn't result in the change, they will likely head over to Riverwatch and be that much more prepared for when it happens. Course though, there's another LT on the hunt now too.

Until next week, thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
Re: Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: 5th session complete
I must note that it took a master manticore and a SHOGGOTH to take down Silhouette the first time and pretty much every model on the map to do it the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: What's 2e? Here's another 1e campaign: session 6 complete
Another weekend goes by, another dungeon delved. This time, a legendary one. On to the report!

Session Report

Continuing from last week, our plucky heroes are attempting copper's Legendary Dungeon. They finished the first level, and now go further down the rabbit hole...

Master Dark Priests HURT!
Our second level was drawn and we got Shreds of Night (40). Ranged attacks get a -1 range and -1 damage unless aimed and the boss dragon got a weaker version of Crushing Blow that targets armor as well. But those two things were by far and away not the highlight of the dungeon, no sir. This time that honor would be all mine, as a spawn of Dark Priests was cleaning up shop. Well maybe not cleaning up shop, but getting huge amounts of damage and generating 4-6 threat per attack. I still can't get over how good a unit these guys are. The master would eventually go down to Grey Ker of all people (my group really sweats the Curses. I don't know why... its just banking one conquest for later, sooner or later everyone will die in my opinion.) and would later pay for it in his own blood. Nanok practically cursed himself this session by uttering the phrase, "Want to see something cool? Check this out." Soon he Battled, fatigued to move in close and ate a power potion to smack the boss. Critical miss X, of course. Silly Nanok. They did clear the level with not too much trouble, but a lot of wounds were added and I believe I stole a kill from someone. With Doom! played already I was wanting to get another power out for the dungeon and I finally did, Trapmaster hit the board. Granted, all my traps were pretty much spent, Parlour too, but I did have a deck reshuffle coming soon. Here's hoping.

The Grand Raid of Fort Knox

Drawing The Tomb of Thieves (58) as our next dungeon, we were all floored at watching the setup of the level. Something close to 12 treasure chests and some loot filled barrels scattered across the map. I felt horribly disheartened to imagine getting this much stuff on a single map, but of course everyone knows looks can be deceiving especially in Descent. Turns out each chest requires a power dice check and there's a small chance of it truly being a chest, with a chance of it being a skeleton spawn or doing damage for a wound (or trap card if I had one). Well, despite a ton of stuff out there on the board the heroes decided to rush this one a bit as once again this week we had a real world time limit and we all wanted to see the fourth and final level of the legendary dungeon. The boss was a master sorcerer who steals cash from the party for each hit he did. The heroes were rather upset over this boss, as the whole point to this dungeon was to suffer heavy losses but get a pile of coin to trigger silver age. Still on track for silver, they wanted to avoid or kill him asap. In the end, he crit missed a couple times but still took 500 gold away from them or so. Not bad but it definitely helped. Only one chest was triggered and a wound was all that came from it, but a couple well placed beastmen war party spawns took a full health Ker down not once but twice. Later on some spawned Shades wound up harassing effectively, not really doing much damage but being an annoyance for LoS and laughing at Nanok's inability to hit them (having recently sold his reach weapon). However the highlights was a power potioned Nanok throwing down against the sorcerer for a crit miss X again. I couldn't help but laugh although I could totally understand the frustration of it. Eventually the heroes got a key for a treasure room that held the red runekey to skip the level, and they very much did so. I did get to reshuffle the deck so I wound up getting my traps back in circulation. Couldn't wait to be a Trapmaster again.

Legendary Dungeon - Caverns of Thuul, Part 1

Be a Rhinestone Cowboy?

First things first, this section will of course contain spoilers for the mechanics of this dungeon. I'm guessing nobody here needs that warning but seeing as my players have not seen the entirely of this level I will not spoil things that lie ahead for one of my players reads this thread (Hi Section_8!). As such I'd appreciate keeping any comments spoiler free as well, thank you. As far as the start of the level goes, nothing special. Heroes dispatched the intro razorwings before they could strike and moved on up to encounter a Manticore. Nanok was on point to the copper creature so it stood no chance. However taking the central path which opened up to a large T intersection with some loot, the heroes were fighting in a long corridor giving me ample time to spawn some creatures. Eventually I brought in some silver sorcerers to go with some dark priests that I love oh so much. My creatures held the line and brought Landrec to 2 wounds from death and that accursed Silhouette down to a single wound, which should have been death but her Cloak of Deception that saves wounds only on a blank finally did some serious good and saved 3 wounds out of 5 on what should have been a killing shot. Hell up until today it was a joke of a piece of gear, well kinda still is, but this time came up huge. Good stuff, at least one person had luck with dice. Anyway the battered heroes finally mopped up that room but Landrec and Silhouette left for the town temple to patch up for a couple turns, while Ker and Nanok took up positions to stop spawns on this floor. Eventually Nanok touched the ? tile representing a 1000 gold in gemstones which triggered the boss to appear beside some glyphs, the Gemstone Dragon. As it was copper level it didn't hit too hard to be honest, but it was pretty resilient and doing good damage with Burn and Pierce as well. But there was something else about it too. When Landrec returned from town he declared a Battle action and ate a power potion to hit it hard at point blank... which crit missed by an X again. I'd like to remind people my Nanok player also plays Landrec so his dice luck was still 0/3 for each power potion attempt. Yuck. Anyway, the second attack by Landrec does something like 11 wounds, and then he finds out the Gemstone Dragon has a damage reflect for magic and does the same damage back to him ignoring armor. OW!! Landrec almost one shotted himself. What a way to learn what the boss does. Anyway, the rest of the fight was pretty standard except for dear old angry Nanok (and on fire from a Burn that would just not go out, hell it stayed on until we ended session) using a power potion to strike again and.... yeah you know it. Crit miss X again. 4 power potion attempts this session and every single one missed. Mind you I tried using the Breath template a couple times as well, as my group's experience is every time you try the template you always crit miss, and well, I crit missed twice. So pathetic for a Legendary Dungeon boss, bleh. Eventually it went down but some spawned skeletons came up the stairs from the previous level to harass the heroes, doing some damage and putting a Cursed Grey Ker to a critical 4 wounds again. The enemies were cleared and they walked back downstairs and Ker fell in a pit which would exactly kill him (SQ plus Trapmaster)... but he Disarmed it via a feat. Grr. So he walked two more steps and got dropped into another pit for the exact same wounds for a kill. Hehe. Gotta love the Spider Queen.

Conquest Standings
Heroes as usual were doing well at the start, but when they finally took some losses it came all in a row in a huge spurt of gains for me. Heroes 78, Overlord 125. Combined total is 203, so as expected we will be heading to the silver age once we see sunlight again.

Dragontooth Hammer, Mace of Aver, Ring of Protection, Belt of Strength
+1 Black Die
+2 Fatigue

Immolation, Elven Robe
+1 Black Die
+4 Wounds

Falcon's Claw, Iron Shield, Archer's Charm, Chainmail
+1 Black Die
+2 Fatigue

Sling, Iron Shield, Cloak of Deception, Ghost Armor, Pack of Holding
+2 Fatigue

-Fire Temple
-Siege Engines
-Into My Parlour
-Alric
-Merrick
-2 Trap Treachery
-Silver Eldritch

Where to go from here
Well as you might have noticed, I said Part 1 for the Legendary Dungeon's last floor. We ran out of time but the heroes really wanted to check out the other wings of the final level and we reached a compromise to Save State our game. As this level is separated by areas more like Vanilla Descent, we elected to keep in mind the start area is cleared out and allow them to spawn at the glyphs and resume next game, so they can at least take a peek at what else there is before making any final decisions. Seems fair I think. So Part 2 will be next session however long or brief it may be. That all said and done, not a lot of forward thinking here. As mentioned before, heroes went in trying to get a pile of cash for silver gear (and so far have gained it, I think they are around 3500-4000 right now) and may pay for dice training soon or hell, maybe even Silver's Secret Training CT permitting. As for me I got the stored CT to do some planned monster upgrades for our new age and I have Merrick and Alric creeping towards the Forge for what I'm sure will be some nefarious fun. I'm fairly sure the heroes are planning on spending a couple weeks loitering at Riverwatch for gear though, depending on LT pressure. Time will tell of course.

Until next week, thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Section Eight
msg tools
I will point out that at one point Silouette managed to survive a suicide run past a dragon and his army to tip a glyph during which she was nuked down to four health, only to fall to the last figure on the damned map (a lowly beastman) because of Nanok of the Crit Miss. Have since determined that Nanok is a recovering alcoholic that becomes completely wasted on Power potions, which are apparently Irish beer.

Also, Grey Ker sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back for another installment, and I also decided to get our campaign caught up with the times and on descentcampaigntracker. Granted its not very interesting yet as I had to rush it to bring it up to speed, but here it is now anyway.

http://www.descentcampaigntracker.com/campaigns/run/1720

Session Report

Last week our heroes had almost plumbed the total depths of the Legendary Copper Dungeon, and we instituted a method to save progress from the last session. We now bring you back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Legendary Dungeon - Caverns of Thuul, Part 2

Deja with a side of Vu

Last time our heroes cleared out the center path of a 3 fork route, beating the Gemstone Dragon into dust in the process. Taking a different path this time they found an eerie similarity to the center path, a ? tile and weak enemies nearby. After beating away the fodder they prepared for the boss spawn, and sure enough the Gemstone Dragon returned. Now prepared for the fight with knowledge of its tricks, it went much more smoothly. Highlights include a spawn of Blood Apes and Lava Beetles coming down a hallway to a cut off Landrec and not pulling off a kill. First time with Lava Beetles this campaign and yeah, they still suck. Noted for future reference. The apes didn't get close enough to get much damage and when they did, crit miss X's again. However, a beastmen war party spawn came down to harass Landrec while Commanding the Dragon, however he managed to live against the beastmen by pulling the Aura 4 feat before they got close enough. Very slick. The Dragon did damage where it could taking out Grey Ker once or twice and doing damage elsewhere before going down. They collected cash and a team meeting was called. They decided to just check out the other fork in the road then decide to run and not pop another Gemstone Dragon. On the way on the ground floor, Landrec finally met his end to my favourite Dark Priest spawns, but they played a bit more defensively and did not move up to the main group much. They advanced to the final path and cleared the junk mobs and took some gold piles, however in the midst of a retreat to town they got sandwiched by some nasty silver eldritch after a deck reshuffle, including skeletons, sorcerors and the priests that finally caught up to them from the lower level. The did escape but not without a couple more dead. In any event, mission successful in getting a lot of cash and expected casualties to bring us on to the next stage of our campaign!

Advanced Campaign moves to Silver Age

Levelling Up hardcore!

First order of business for both sides was to make use of the new change. I bought Silver Beasts while the heroes ran off to Riverwatch to spend the hard earned blood money the Legendary Dungeon granted them. To be fair I think they came in pretty successful, I think they had around 9000 gold and wound up taking a couple turns to blow it all on some Silver treasures then backing out to Tamalir to train some dice on top of it all. The feeling of euphoria for getting beefed up was palpable and shared by all, myself included.

Dark Designs for Terrinoth

My next upgrades in this levelling up spree was to bring Beasts to Gold, buy an all-important Event Treachery and I had spare change enough to buy the affections of Lady Eliza Farrow thus completing the Farrow trio. The LTs were mighty busy at this stage. Alric and Merrick continued towards the Forge in the meantime, with Merrick running past him towards Dawnsmoor. Alric stayed behind to start the siege of The Forge and Lady Eliza began catching up to Alric to join him at The Forge. The pressure was definitely being felt as Siege Engines were already in place.

Girl Power

Deciding that they had powered up enough after breaking their bankroll and not willing to let the LTs do more damage after having so many free game weeks, they decided to stop the two LTs sitting at the Forge, both Eliza and Alric. Upon viewing the silver age stats they felt driving off Eliza was the best bet and chose to pick on her first. This being our first battle in silver, and having freshly Gold promoted beasts under Lady Eliza's Command and to top it off having 3 trap treachery and 1 event treachery, it soon became apparent the heroes bite off quite a bit more than they could chew. We drew the Hedge Maze as her encounter, and figures moving through the trees take a point of damage for entering. I had a hand including Danger, Rage, Crushing Block x2, Dark Charm and a Spike Pit. I lost the Dark Charm to Wind Pact, but discarding Danger on turn one for threat to power traps was very potent. Basically the heroes thought I wouldn't walk my monsters through the painful hedge maze and they attempted to minimize damage by walking around a shortcut of sorts. What happened was the upgraded beasts caught them very off guard. With the increased movement scores, Landrec being exposed behind the main group caused his death on OL turn 1. Ouch. Landrec of course, was the main damage dealer of the group and it was a blow very strongly felt. Soon after, the Brilliant Commandered Master Naga combining his Command Boost with Eliza's boost was a deadly combination to give to even lowly Hellhounds and a Master Spider. With boosts, even the high armor of Nanok wasn't standing up to the onslaught. He couldn't find cover in time before being taken down to critical wounds of about 6 and making him run into a dead end corridor. Yikes. The heroes hoped I'd lead my minions across the encounter map to chase them down, but my group tightly packed around the Naga and Eliza and just sat around daring them to come at her. In regrouping, a Crushing Block almost killed Nanok but it threw him in a tree for an extra wound. Stepping out of the cover he fell from a pit, putting the heroes out half their team. Soon after Grey Ker fell and a stubborn Silhouette player thought he could take out the rest of the team. After impressively surviving another barrage from a vicious combo of Raging LT with Master gold Naga, decided pride was finally not worth a total party kill and managed to flee. Lady Eliza successfully beat back the hero attempt to end the siege with a resounding success!

Licking their wounds

All the wind had gone out from their sails and the emotional high they rode in on getting full silver gear plus dice upgrades was heavily ruined by Lady Eliza who proved to be very tough to deal with. On the first chance for The Forge to fall it did, and now all 3 Farrows were in striking distance of Tamalir. Fearing the dreaded early silver Tamalir rush, the heroes are feeling extreme pains to deal with the threat now. Alric and Eliza had moved near Tamalir and Merrick is beginning rolls for Dawnsmoor soon. The heroes have decided that they have a couple turns to make for some treasure and to upgrade Tamalir's defenses, so they have made a beeline to their rumor dungeon up past Nerekhall, which is The Dark Shard and a reward of +12 conquest. Using this extra bonus, they hope to raise the walls and beat back any sieges that begin on Tamalir as a possible last ditch effort. That is, if the siege even begins on Tamalir... there might have been an alternate plan in mind.

Conquest Standings
In short, the heroes got trounced in the numbers this week. Probably a dozen CT worth of death in the final level of the Legendary Dungeon and then with all the turns for training it showed. Heroes 89, Overlord 174.

Lifedrinker, Bo Stick, Mace of Aver, Ring of Protection, Belt of Strength
Copper Fatigue
3 Black
1 Silver

Drain Life, Staff of Fire, Elven Robe, Aldar's Mirror
Copper Wounds
3 Black
1 Silver

Flying Death, Skullcracker, Iron Shield, Archer's Charm, Chainmail, Scorpion Helmet
Copper Fatigue
2 Black
2 Silver

Falcon's Claw, Mirror Shield, Cloak of Deception, Ghost Armor, Pack of Holding, Iron Shield
Copper Fatigue
4 Black

Beast Level: Gold
Eldrich Level: Silver
Humanoid Level: Copper
Event: 1, Monster: 0, Trap: 2
Into My Parlour, Siege Engines
The Temple of Fire, Dreams of Power, The Temple of Earth

Where to go from here
Once again, morale is shaky. After feeling so good about the silver change and how much stronger the heroes got, getting beat back down by a LT that was perceived as weak was a wake up call. Right now Tamalir is in impending danger with Alric and Eliza on the move and Dawnsmoor is going to be rolled for very shortly via Merrick. After Eliza's excellent display I don't know what I have in mind right now, I'm thinking the best thing to do is keeping different locations under constant threat as they can't be everywhere at once. However, concentrating an effort for the early silver Tamalir raze could indeed be the game. Originally I considered getting the plot to move along to force an early Final Battle in an effort to make it exciting, but my heroes have stated to me if I ignore the opportunity to strike Tamalir they'd know I'd be going easy on them and they don't want that (personal insult I'm guessing, as well as maybe a new campaign). This is kind of what I didn't want to happen but hey, here we are. I'm not sure what I want to do as there was some things I never got to try that I wanted to with this Avatar, like try Fiery Spiders with Slaggorath. That all said, I'm not sure what my plan will be but the heroes are definitely feeling the crunch.

Thanks for reading and see you next update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.