Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1-10 scale with 1 being extremely easy and 10 being insanely difficult. Rate the two base game boards, and Urban Structures boards if you've played it. I know there's a lot of randomness and the game is different every time, so just provide your best guess at a number.

I've only played the base game:

Easier side with 4 doors - 4
Harder side - 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Marlow
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Easy - 4.1
Hard - 4.5

Without any of the additional challenges, they're pretty close in difficulty. I counted the number of walls on each side. The easier side is easier due to more doors which means it can theoretically withstand more damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that the doors don't just allow the building to sustain more damage, but the outside doors in particular make things much easier.

If you have a POI near the back on the harder board, you're either going to have to cut through the wall or run the long way. Cutting through takes a long time and damages the building. I find this to have a huge effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group tends to think that the "big kitchen" side is easier that the "long hallway" side. 4 points of entry into the house is much easier, & that cramped little hallway on the other map gives opportunity to drop many damage cubes in a short span.

Haven't played Urban Structures yet, but it's on its way right now! I'd be interested to hear opinions about those2 maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
explosions make the long hallway more difficult. Also having doors on two sides of the building makes rescue a longer trip or more damage to the building to cut through. Ultimately, the beach house tends to collapse from damage more often than the basic house.

The apartments would be the next hardest board since there are unbreachable walls on two sides of the board and a firewall down the middle.

The office is by far the most difficult board with cube walls that burn like paper and only one entrance/exit to the building without cutting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting discussion. I initially agreed that the base game board with the long hallway and only two doors to the outside is more difficult.

However, I started thinking back at my game sessions. I remembered that when we increased the difficulty on the "easier" side, we lost due to the building collapsing. Out of 6 games: 4 ended with building collapse, and 2 victories. On the other "harder" side, we lost from victim deaths. Out of 4 games: 2 ended with victim death, and 2 victories.

I definately think (as other users have mentioned), it takes much longer to move victims to outside doors unless you just bash a wall on the "harder" board.

There seems to be a correlation, but I'm not that much of an analyst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the reverse (2 exterior door) side of the board is only marginally harder than the side with 4 exterior doors. Perhaps it's just the games that I've played so far, but I feel like the slightly more open layout of the reverse board mostly offsets the fewer number of doors. As long as you're not willing to chop a couple of walls (kitchen -> bedroom is a must, and the exterior wall from master bedroom -> ambulance space is nice), mobility is actually quite easy on that board.

I'd say Easy side: 5
Hard side: 5.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably way off mark here, but I'm wondering if re-playability is limited since there are only two maps. Any merit to that?

Besides the comments made in this thread about difficulty, I saw in one of the video reviews that the game is not very challenging. How do the rest of you feel about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
I'm probably way off mark here, but I'm wondering if re-playability is limited since there are only two maps. Any merit to that?

Besides the comments made in this thread about difficulty, I saw in one of the video reviews that the game is not very challenging. How do the rest of you feel about it?

Heh, I think the game is challenging. I'd be surprised if anyone could beat it on Heroic difficulty within their first 20 plays.

I also think replayability is about normal for this type of game. The way fires spread, victims pop up in different spots, and the challenges of Flashovers/Hotspots/etc. make each game different. It's not wildly different, but it's about as different as Pandemic. I'd argue it's actually more replayable than Pandemic as once you get good at solving the puzzle at Pandemic's core, the game plays out with the same strategy every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, Charles.

Speaking of Pandemic, the couple times I played it was dominated by an alpha personality telling everybody what to do. I know it can happen in any co-op game. But it seemed really loud and notable in Pandemic. Would you say FPFR is just as susceptible? Or is it just like other co-ops, in that it all depends on the mix of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, Charles.

Speaking of Pandemic, the couple times I played it was dominated by an alpha personality telling everybody what to do. I know it can happen in any co-op game. But it seemed really loud and notable in Pandemic. Would you say FPFR is just as susceptible? Or is it just like other co-ops, in that it all depends on the mix of players?

Like most coops, there's not really much in Flash Point keeping others from telling you what to do. I'm lucky enough to have an intelligent group that works well together.

The only games I've seen really deal with this issue are Gears of War (your action cards are unknown to the other players) and Space Alert (not enough time to take control).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, by the way - if you end up picking this up and you're looking to extend replayability further, check out my Ladder 11 campaign variant in the downloads section. There's also a thread discussing it in the variant forums. I've found this add a great deal more variability and tension to our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.