Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
As most of you may know, Valley is sold out at their level on DDD. So a reprint is in order. While we tried to be as clear as possible in the rules, I know that there are some questions still hanging out there.

We would like to make minor modifications to the rules to clear up any potential misunderstandings. The intent is just to be as clear as possible since this has been a community driven game from the beginning and Valley appreciates all the support we have gotten here on BGG.

What items do you feel are unclear in the rules or (gasp) just wrong! We have a small list going now and I will try to scrub through the rest of the rule forums to make sure we didn't miss anything. But if you have a thought, please post it below.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely didn't like learning from the D-Day Dice Rules, but it was mainly because there are zero illustrations except for showing the specific components. I didn't understand where the starting resources were or exactly what even to do on the map. I get pictures of the components then a bunch of text with thematic images on the rules but no practical images. Fortunately there was a starter video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
In the setup section, IIRC, it says that the only items available are listed in the scenario description. The scenarios only list special items.

Well... it is under the ITEMS rules section that it says that you always have regular items available in all scenarios. This should have been included in the setup section.

EDIT: Yes, I got utterly destroyed 2/3 of the way to the bunker in map 3, without my regular items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest turning your die (to show advancement) be listed as its own step. It's easy to forget to do that after collecting your goodies from the tally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be clarified that the bunker isn't considered entered until the end of the turn after damage is taken. It should also be noted that you still suffer a skull result when you roll a straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something separating the Award from the RWB bonuses in the chart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found dozens of spelling, grammatical, and word omission errors; particularly in the scenario descriptions. If desired, I can comb through and see what all I find (specifically).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Special Find

I was unsure what was meant by a face-down item in the rules, but I understood it when I looked at the summary sheet where it was referred to as a used item. I think that makes more sense. You should also specify that this is instead of normal find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i agree with all the things said here, i had the same problems and questions !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't effect game play, but I thought it would be cool if there was a little more historical fluff for each scenario. Kind of like what Memoir44 does. I think it was an opportunity missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
turtleback wrote:
This doesn't effect game play, but I thought it would be cool if there was a little more historical fluff for each scenario. Kind of like what Memoir44 does. I think it was an opportunity missed.

Problem is we didn't anticipate the number of backers and had to add many more rule pages just to accommodate those names. So we really didn't have consistent space in each scenario and when we did opted to just go with an image that was appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
drasher25 wrote:
I would suggest turning your die (to show advancement) be listed as its own step. It's easy to forget to do that after collecting your goodies from the tally.

I consider this more than a minor change. If we added another phase, that changes all phases subsequent to that. So it would be confusing between editions. I can see about making it more evident within the that phase but it will have to remain under its current phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
3dicebombers wrote:
I have found dozens of spelling, grammatical, and word omission errors; particularly in the scenario descriptions. If desired, I can comb through and see what all I find (specifically).

If you want. I am surprised to hear there are dozens. But after 48 revisions to the rule book,we all became numb to catching errors. I know of a couple where we switched "role" for "roll" by mistake and one mis-numbered map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
I definitely didn't like learning from the D-Day Dice Rules, but it was mainly because there are zero illustrations except for showing the specific components. I didn't understand where the starting resources were or exactly what even to do on the map. I get pictures of the components then a bunch of text with thematic images on the rules but no practical images. Fortunately there was a starter video.

I'm still figuring out the starting resources on the battle map as well. Are these the 4 soldier-icons (meaning you have to put your counter on 04)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
neo.colpaert wrote:
Spielguy wrote:

I'm still figuring out the starting resources on the battle map as well. Are these the 4 soldier-icons (meaning you have to put your counter on 04)?

Yes. The resources are printed in the sector with the "S" - sometimes it is 4 soldiers, sometimes other resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest an "online" card database on the Valley Games website, where you can easily update rule FAQ's for each card, without having to create new rule books. It would also be easy to add new card FAQ's for the expansions.

Although there are also one or two basic rules that could be clarified if you are going to revise the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only confusion we've had was whether the tank stopped *all* MG damage, or just "special". The former made logical sense, but I think the intent was the latter.

But it's still unclear whether a 6 with no listed special damage is affected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And while I'm at it...

In a four-player game with the lieutenant, it appears that two dice trades can be made. But that should be clearly stated in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
th3tick wrote:
And while I'm at it...

In a four-player game with the lieutenant, it appears that two dice trades can be made. But that should be clearly stated in the rules.

Hmm. We thought it was clear that 2 dice trades can be made as long as every one is paired up. That is why we overemphasized in 3 player games, some is left out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ukdane wrote:
I would suggest an "online" card database on the Valley Games website, where you can easily update rule FAQ's for each card, without having to create new rule books. It would also be easy to add new card FAQ's for the expansions.

Although there are also one or two basic rules that could be clarified if you are going to revise the rule book.

I don't know if Valley has the ability or resources to keep this up to date in this format. I'll suggest to Emmanuel what is being done on Nightfall and other games with lots of cards by creating an official Geeklist.

For example: Official Nightfall Card & Rule FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Connor
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Hmm. We thought it was clear that 2 dice trades can be made as long as every one is paired up. That is why we overemphasized in 3 player games, some is left out.

I will re-read and trust your judgement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mont
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
- State whether or not the "Special Find" RWB gives you an additional item find that turn (i.e. you can find one item from the Special Find and one for your normal find) or whether you can still only find one item (it's just that it can now be a face down item)

- Clarify that when a card (like some awards) gives you a specific RWB, that that means just the bonus, not the normal effects of the dice. (e.g. the Signaling Lamp card that says "gain a Fresh Troops RWB" gives you 6 troops, not 12.)

- Clarify that item cards that reduce defense only reduce it for one turn, but that they reduce it for everyone in the sector (is that correct)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian,

Here are two methods that are especially worthwhile for proofreading:

1) double-proofing: where one person reads the copy verbally, speaking the words as well as the punctuation. Both people have a copy of the manual, and one reads to the other. It's very effective for catching context errors and missing words.

This sentence, for example:
Roll the dice, until you have rolled three times total.

Would be spoken by the proofreader as
"cap R Roll the dice comma until you have rolled three times total period."

2) Read it backwards. My favorite since more often than not you're proofing alone. Seriously, read it word for word in reverse order. You'll be amazed at how many things you catch, because your brain is unable to "skim ahead" and "fill in," so you miss fewer errors.

It's most effective for catching true typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jhebert wrote:
Hey Brian,

1) double-proofing: where one person reads the copy verbally, speaking the words as well as the punctuation. Both people have a copy of the manual, and one reads to the other. It's very effective for catching context errors and missing words.

That is an awesome suggestion. The problem is, Rik and Emmanuel speak Canadian and it takes all my concentration to understand them. I am afraid the rulebook would be 10% bigger with all the "comma eh's" added in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Hey Brian,

This sentence, for example:
Roll the dice, until you have rolled three times total.

Would be spoken by the proofreader as
"cap R Roll the dice comma until you have rolled three times total period."

2) Read it backwards. My favorite since more often than not you're proofing alone. Seriously, read it word for word in reverse order. You'll be amazed at how many things you catch, because your brain is unable to "skim ahead" and "fill in," so you miss fewer errors.

It's most effective for catching true typos.

I used to work at a menu printing company, "back in the day." (Actually, at one time, it was the largest in the US...) And of course, we also printed menus in languages other than English. The proofreaders were some older ladies who had been working there for a very long time, and they were very good at their job. But they told me the worst menus by far to proofread were the ones with Chinese characters. Once, some menus were shipped out but soon returned....the Chinese characters had all been printed upside down!

I loved working at that place...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.