T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Have you considered card games (such as bridge)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You said the class takes only one quarter of a year. So that's like 10 weeks or so, right? If every group of kids stays 2 weeks with each game that's only 5 games.

How much time do you have per week? 45 minutes? 90? You'll have to make sure the games you choose can be completed in that amount of time. Chess for example can take much longer than that.

Also you are mixing 2 player games with multiplayer games. I'd expect that to get pretty difficult in planning. How about you just give each student a score sheet and tell them they have to play each game at least once?

I second tanik's idea of getting more card games. Standard decks are cheap to buy and should easily hold up for a quarter. That'll give you access to a lot of games.

You might also want to encourage your students to start early with their assignment so that if they make a game you don't already have you could take that into the rotation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charliethemutt wrote:
Games will be abstract strategy games
You're running an elective. I run a "club".

For the past 3 years I have had middle-schoolers in an after-school program one day a week, 1 or 2 hour sessions, for strategy games. That can include abstracts but is not exclusive.

My purpose is to allow a luck element but not let it dominate (I tell them that is why Monopoly isn't in the program). The games are really problem solving but I don't mention that. They don't feel "taught" but they are definitely learning.

As a rule, I do not use card games. Coloretto is an exception.

Blokus certainly belongs on your list.

Manhattan is the strongest, fastest demonstraton of why/how the games I show are different from what they already know.

charliethemutt wrote:
...but do not really want to bring them all into a classroom. They will get really beat up, thats just what happens at school with kids.
Sigh ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain Games offers grants that I have never pursued.
http://www.funagain.com/control/rc?p=grants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You and me...We're in this together now...None of them can stop us now...We will make it through somehow
mbmb
You might find some useful stuff in this thread: A Games "Curriculum" for Middle School Kids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.