Subject: Another LoS question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Can you range attack an enemy that is directly behind another unit enemy unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming all three minis in question are medium size (take up 1 square) and they're in a direct line with each other, then yes, you can, although the target will have cover since it would be impossible to draw a line to all four corners of the target's square from a single corner of the attacker's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Asmor wrote:
Assuming all three minis in question are medium size (take up 1 square) and they're in a direct line with each other, then yes, you can, although the target will have cover since it would be impossible to draw a line to all four corners of the target's square from a single corner of the attacker's.

The enemy unit blocking LoS acts as a wall then?

And should the enemy in back decide to take cover, does the enemy in front take any damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Squares occupied by enemies block line of sight; but just as you could draw a line along a wall to have LOS, you can draw a line across an enemy's square.

At least, that's how I'd interpret it.

And no, the enemy in front wouldn't take damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a related question, what if the attack was an Area-of-Effect, like the explosive bolts from the orc guy or the acid breath of the copper dragon, if the character in the back takes cover, does the guy in the front still get hit with the area-of-effect part, or does the whole attack miss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole attack would miss, it's like you never made the attack at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pôl Jackson
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EncyclopediusRex wrote:
Squares occupied by a wall block LOS. You cannot use the outside line of the square to draw LOS, in the situation of A|W|B where A and B are opposing figures. Enemy figures work the same way. The outline of a square is still part of the square.

To be precise, the rulebook states that walls block line of sight, but nowhere does it state that "squares occupied by a wall block LOS". Many outdoor walls have rounded corners, and thus don't take up the entire square. The rules seem to allow tracing line of sight through squares containing wall terrain, as long as the line doesn't actually cross a line representing a wall. (The "Line of Sight" illustration on page 13 of the rulebook seems to support this, although I'll grant that the illustration has errors that make it less certain.)

Also, the rulebook is vague about what "crossing" a wall or a square means. It could very well be the case that you can trace line of sight along the edge of a wall. (If 'the outline of the square is still part of the square', then can't I choose to use the outline of the adjacent, non-wall square?) It's easy to imagine two combatants, each hiding behind pillars, leaning out and taking shots at each other.

For both questions, I don't think we have enough information to know what the 'official' answer is. We'll just have to wait for Peter & co. to get back from GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[no use for a name]
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
The whole attack would miss, it's like you never made the attack at all.

According the designer of the game: "if the target of the attack could dodge it, the splash would still happen since the splash is not contingent on the target taking damage from the attack, it's just automatic damage flying out from the adjacent square".

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29230663/D...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.