Popular Tags: [View All]
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Shadowing is a special kind of battle avoidance open to cavalry
armies only (18.2). The rules for avoiding battle (when and where
it may happen) apply, and the die roll needed is the same.

If I'm not incorrect, there is one exception to the case:

Quote:
You may not shadow into a space with an enemy stronghold
under any circumstances.

I think this could have been also said in 12.4.

Don't take this as a rant or anything. It's just that if you have forgetten how the rules go, you will go to 12.4, see the avoid battle rules and miss the exception mentioned in 17.1. I can't remember if there some similar scatter in the rules. Otherwise, quite clearly organized and well-written rules. Index would have been great but the table of contents is good, so it helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you shadowed already? If so, how was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played KoH five times and have not yet seen Shadowing used. It seems strange to me that an army only has the possibility to shadow if it is attacked by an opposing army (and succeeds in the Avoid Battle roll). I can imagine that it may have been hard to implement "active shadowing" into the rules. But why not an alternative mechanism to simulate the harassment tactics of the muslim cavalry that doesn't utilise the attrition rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct that there is a discrepancy. I think the rule allowing battle avoidance into enemy strongholds where friendly units are present was a late addition, and nobody noticed that the wording under shadowing no longer applied. I will add this to the errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leovigild wrote:
You are correct that there is a discrepancy. I think the rule allowing battle avoidance into enemy strongholds where friendly units are present was a late addition, and nobody noticed that the wording under shadowing no longer applied. I will add this to the errata.

Great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.