Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, folks, PBF #2 is over. Much fun was had by your moderator watching this game come together. I learned a lot just by sitting back and watching.

That said, I'd love to hear from the players about their in-game strategies, their plans, and how their plans altered as the game changed. I'd love to hear what your initial strategies were, and how they evolved over time.

I'd also love to hear about "Oh, krep!" moments. When did things go poorly for you? And what could you do better?

Thanks again everyone,

Your moderator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
My original plan was to take Rhea(V), then swing back and take Kraken Mare(V), decommission, then with the metastable, fly to Mercury(V) for space tourism, and a return from mercury for 3vp...I would have got away with it, if I was able to get my free electron laser to "fit", as it was I had to take too many hydrations with my rocket to land on them. With the metastable and my crew, I think I could have made the attempt at a factory on Mercury as well.

But my boat was just too slow in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
That said, I'd love to hear from the players about their in-game strategies, their plans, and how their plans altered as the game changed. I'd love to hear what your initial strategies were, and how they evolved over time.
You'll no doubt hear this countless times over, but thanks a ton for moderating this! It was a lot of fun.

Also thanks for giving me the opportunity to hop in halfway through as a replacement. I'm looking forward to another chance to start from the beginning.

Quote:
I'd also love to hear about "Oh, krep!" moments. When did things go poorly for you? And what could you do better?
I had a great set of cards, but compared to where everyone else was I was pretty much hosed from the start when I took over. It took so long just to get the damn thing boosted properly so that it could actually leave LEO that I was happy just to get something on the board before Shimizu ran away with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammond
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed thanks for modding! I like how our "relaxed pace" game turned into a blazing fast endeavor!

PRC, I wish I had your excuse of having to come in halfway through the game. I spent my whole game attempting to get the "perfect" set of cards rather than just boosting stuff that was incomplete and doing it in stages.

In a 2 player game, you can really pace yourself like that, and do sanity checks to make sure you aren't falling behind. I guess that isn't possible in a 5 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:

Most of that stuff I already posted here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9816264#9816264

One thing I didn't mention though is that my plan in the beginning was to generate as much wealth and keep my options open. I figured my best options were either (a) do the venture blitz on Jupiter+Saturn to reduce the risk of claimjumps. This would have required 5 hazard rolls, so I wanted to make sure I had a lot of WT to spare (5x4=20 ideally!); (b) collect WT and cards while waiting for a good factory-making combo to click.

Once I saw how quickly ESA could get to 3 factories though (basically when he landed on Lutetia), I knew I had to move faster, so I went with the more risky but faster venture blitz. Glad it worked!

When did people realize I was going for the venture blitz?

robbbbbb wrote:

#1. ESA landing on Lutetia and me realizing that ESA can get to 3 factories by turn ~ 26.
#2. Realizing I can't refuel on Eichsfeldia (size 4 Vestoid asteroids, I was one acceleration point too low from direct landing), which caused me to lose several turns while I went to refuel at Hertha.
#3. Selling the Callisto subsurface ocean claim, which caused me to end with 26 points whereas I could have ended with 28. I thought I needed to sell a non-V-or-S claim to have enough disks for the venture blitz, but of course I could have just sold a non-science V claim after claiming space tourism. Duh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Congratulations, Robb, for organizing the PBF. And the secret CEO of Shimizu congratulates Rus-San for his victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.