Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Android but have really like the plays I've gotten in so far. One issue that we've run into during playing the game is losing sight of the forest for the trees. Not always considering the big picture. There are so many little rules and modifiers to keep track of, we sometimes forget that the winner will be the one who has the most points at the end. Winning the game isn't necessarily the point of the game, as you can still have an enjoyable experience without winning, but I am hoping the game will just run more smoothly if all players have an end goal in mind. So, I've made the following list of ways to score vps in Android:

How to score VPs during the game:
1. Haas-Bioroid Tokens
2. Jinteki Tokens
3. Conspiracy Tokens
4. Plot Resolutions
5. Removal of trauma

How to score VPs at the end of the game:
1. Guilty Hunch
2. Innocent Hunch
3. Plot Resolutions
4. Conspiracy Links
5. Character specific points (Like Rachel's $$)

For the Android veterans, does this list cover all the available options to score vps?

edit1: added removal of trauma and moved plot resolutions to "during the game" as suggested by Wes and Stanley below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
When I teach this game, I simplify the basic strategy of the game by reminding people to concentrate on three things;

1) The murder
2) The conspiracy
3) Their plots

When mentioning the murder, I refer to guilty and innocent hunches. When going over the conspiracy, I refer to completing rows and columns as well as drawing links to the center ("number of sides on which you can enter the center = links").

This really brings a sense of clarity to players and let's the focus on the issues at hand.

To further enhance this clarity, I remind everyone that on your turn, on each time, you should be doing 1 of 2 things;

1) Following a lead or moving to a place with a lead to follow
2) Working on your plot

I always say "if you don't know what to do, go to the nearest evidence, follow it up." - that's the fundamental action of the game that feeds directly into the murder or the conspiracy... and often tangentially into plots too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
For completeness, you could also add "remove trauma" to your list, since that's a net gain in VP.

But cosine is right: hunches, plots, and conspiracy links are far and away the biggest VP sources. Everything else is incidental--good to have, but not worth going out of your way for.

If you're worried about losing the big picture, you should probably just keep those three in sight and let the other opportunities for points be happy surprises along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For plots, don't forget that for most characters they gain VP for those every week, not just at the end of the game. And really, you should be focusing on resolving each crossroad for the best endgame outcome (if you're aware of what that would be). With this in mind, I'd move plot-based VPs off your "end of the game" list and put them in the "during the game" list: every three turns, unless you're playing with Raymond or Caprice's week 2, you should be seeing an outcome, whether it's from good baggage you placed on yourself or bad baggage you placed on someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
When I teach this game, I simplify the basic strategy of the game by reminding people to concentrate on three things;

1) The murder
2) The conspiracy
3) Their plots

To further enhance this clarity, I remind everyone that on your turn, on each time, you should be doing 1 of 2 things;

1) Following a lead or moving to a place with a lead to follow
2) Working on your plot

I like these two lists. Those three things (murder, conspiracy and plots) cover most of the scoring opportunities. The main other ways to score points are the Jinteki and Haas-Bioroid tokens. Is it generally the case that these tokens are not worth the trouble to obtain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochebeth Cendanawangi

Blaine
Washington
msg tools
I havent exhaustively played all characters but it seems to me that, outside of special circumstances, those VPs are only worth getting if you are playing Floyd or Caprice.

Specifically, I have seen Caprice rack up favours(Jason?, Michael?, Whatshisname?) at the University and unload them at Jinteki for a ton of VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Karat
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jomblo69 wrote:
I havent exhaustively played all characters but it seems to me that, outside of special circumstances, those VPs are only worth getting if you are playing Floyd or Caprice.

Specifically, I have seen Caprice rack up favours(Jason?, Michael?, Whatshisname?) at the University and unload them at Jinteki for a ton of VPs.

Every game I have seen where Floyd or Caprice concentrates on Haas/Jinteki tokens, one of them wins. The only way to stop them is to take away their warrants.

The second most important set of points are for the plots.

Conspiracy is worth points, but it requres timing and luck. When you get the chance, take it, but it's hard to plan for these.

The murder is just way too hard to control to rely on. Even when you're the only player who cares about the murder and nail it precisely, the points are high enough to compete. Yes, I've had a game where I was that person, and my final score was middling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.