Subject: Non-Registered Term for LCG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR! (Or ask me about it)
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a term that is used to define a "Living Card Game" -- such that the game is not collectable and has pre-set expansion packs that add to the game -- but is a term not owned by Fantasy Flight Games?

Pretty sure FFG only owns the rights to the name and not to the concept... so maybe: Expandable Card Game?

Or is there something that is commonly used outside of LCG that I'm missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I was thinking Expandable Card Game too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lucero
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Expandable Card Game is a fitting term as it seems to cover any card game that is expanded by expansion sets. I would see Dominion as an Expandable Card Game, yet it is definitely not the type of game you are talking about. I think a generic term like Customizable Card Game might be more accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Osbourn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I think I like "Customizable Card Game", except when it is shortened "CCG" could get confusing to some people. For example, The Spoils calls itself a "TCG", but it doesn't call itself a "Trading Card Game", it is a "Tournament Card Game". I would like something that has at the very least an extra letter. "Custom Deck Card Game" (CDCG)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Watson
United States
Belle Plaine
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Standardized Distribution Card Game?
Fixed Distribution Card Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Lemay
Canada
Montréal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:
What is a term that is used to define a "Living Card Game" -- such that the game is not collectable and has pre-set expansion packs that add to the game -- but is a term not owned by Fantasy Flight Games?

Pretty sure FFG only owns the rights to the name and not to the concept... so maybe: Expandable Card Game?

Or is there something that is commonly used outside of LCG that I'm missing?

Good question.

Is there any other game (not published by FFG) that use a similar marketing?

Comet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comet wrote:
Is there any other game (not published by FFG) that use a similar marketing?

There will be one soon: Doomtown: Reloaded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Kern
United States
Florence
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars, too. I believe it markets itself as "The Customizable Card Game of Dueling Mages." I think the upcoming VS System reboot is being sold as an LCG, and it seems like they've just straight up used the term LCG without licensing it from FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.