Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in picking up one of these two games. In fact, I'll likely get Memoir regardless. I guess the question is whether BattleLore is unique and fun enough to merit a buy. Any thoughts? I know I'm running short of time to get the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Gleason
United States
Bowdoinham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore. I have BL and my friend had Mem44. After a few plays of BL, Mem44 was sold.

I guess it all comes down to thematic preference but the BL Lore cards are rad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with the theme that appeals to you most. I assume you're also aware of the other C&C systems: Commands & Colors: Ancients Series, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics and Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkstarDL wrote:
I am very interested in picking up one of these two games. In fact, I'll likely get Memoir regardless. I guess the question is whether BattleLore is unique and fun enough to merit a buy. Any thoughts? I know I'm running short of time to get the game.

Considering that you're posting (also?) in the BL forums, no surprise if I suggest BL. I understand your wish to buy M44 too and I will of course not try to discourage you.

I have not played M44 with many expansion, but as far as the basic games are concerned, variety in BL is hugely superior. Every unit is significantly different, with (out of the box) 7 different non-ranged infantry types, 3 different ranged infantries, 3 different cavalries and 1 monster, each with its different sculptures.
This provides an extreme replayability and fun, more than I found in M44.

This said, are you aware of Battles of Westeros?

I never had the chance to play it or even meet it in person (or in plastic, depending if you focus on me or on the game ), yet it is the reimplement of BL and thus the more recent (and supposedly more carefully developed, having learned from previous games) of the three games.

Best
Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I have played most of the series and I like Battlelore the best, mostly because of the theme. On the other hand, it is the hardest to get now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo Ed's points and add that Memoir:'44 is available and, now, quite varied. I also prefer BattleLore—but the classic version and expansions are pretty scarce at near-retail prices. Be prepared to pay well-above retail if you decide to pursue classic BattleLore. (But, if you have an inside track to low-cost, used items, carry on!)

Battles of Westeros, which is a BattleLore-brand game, has it's own fans, but is not the classic BattleLore experience. It is abundantly available and you may enjoy it. Personally, in that case, I'd take Memoir:'44 over Battles of Westeros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkstarDL wrote:

I enjoy Memoir 44, but I think Battlelore is the superior game. It has a lot of options to customize the games the way you prefer to play. Play with magic or medieval lore depending on your preferences. Play with different races or just the human race depending on your preferences. Play with or without awesome game changing creatures. Play with a randomized setup with Call to Arms. The variety is hard to beat. The Battleback and Lore card mechanics alone make it worth a pick-up in my opinion regardless of whether or not you purchase Memoir 44. Pick it up and enjoy. If you play via Vassal, send me a PM and I can show you the basics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At their cores, these two are the same game. To me, your choice comes down to two concerns:

1. Theme: Which theme do you enjoy more - fantasy pre-gunpowder, or World War Two?

2. Availability: M44 has the distinct advantage of being in print, although some of the expansion modules may not be currently in print. BL on the other hand is essentially a dead game, with FFG having ceased production and no firm plans appear to be on the horizon for a base game reprint. You will definitely find it easier and less expensive to acquire M44.

Me, I went M44, and then expanded into Commands & Colors Ancients for my pre-gunpowder choice. I've played BL and C&C:A, and to me, C&C:A is the much stronger game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the great input. I'm a WW2 buff (grandpa was a B-24 pilot), so Memoir is attractive. Given its availability and much lower price, I'll likely add it to my collection at some point regardless.

That said, the reviews and videos I've seen about BattleLore make it seem like a bigger, better version. I also like the theme, though I would probably like it more if it lacked the fantasy elements. Nothing against fantasy, but a pure medieval theme seems more interesting. I guess the real question is whether I need this game if I got M44, or if the two would be too similar in terms of mechanics to make it worthwhile. The only copies (of which there are very few) of the base set I've found are repurposed French editions for $80. Should I jump on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I should also mention I have heard of Battles of Westeros. It's tempting because I love the ASOIAF universe. From what I've read, it's quite different from (and maybe inferior to?) the standard BL game. I don't know though as I've not played either game. I'd love to read more opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkstarDL wrote:
Thank you all for the great input. I'm a WW2 buff (grandpa was a B-24 pilot), so Memoir is attractive. Given its availability and much lower price, I'll likely add it to my collection at some point regardless.

That said, the reviews and videos I've seen about BattleLore make it seem like a bigger, better version. I also like the theme, though I would probably like it more if it lacked the fantasy elements. Nothing against fantasy, but a pure medieval theme seems more interesting. I guess the real question is whether I need this game if I got M44, or if the two would be too similar in terms of mechanics to make it worthwhile. The only copies (of which there are very few) of the base set I've found are repurposed French editions for $80. Should I jump on it?

You can purchase the base game in English for $50 right now on Ebay. Do a search. I see a base game auction for $50, a base game + 8 expansions auction for $150, a bunch of expansions auction for $150 right now on Ebay.

I don't think Mem 44 is that much cheaper in my opinion unless you're only intending to purchase the base game. Just about the best add-on for Mem44 in my opinion is the Campaign book volume 1. It goes for $100-$150 by itself. So, if you're intending to acquire the whole collection at some point, then they will be comparable in price.

Having said that if you're a big WWII buff and fantasy doesn't appeal to you, then you may be better off going with Mem44 as that sounds right up your ally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Go with the theme that appeals to you most. I assume you're also aware of the other C&C systems: Commands & Colors: Ancients Series, Commands & Colors: Napoleonics and Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition.

Don't forget the newest member of the family, Samurai Battles.

Looks like it has a 'Lore like' deck and an interesting system for Honour. Though it looks like it has a significant upfront time cost assembling the miniatures that Memoir or BL don't have (though Ancients does with putting sticky labels on blocks)

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122913/samurai-battles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of question is really rather pointless, because which title OTHER people prefer is largely irrelevant as it can't take into account your own personal traits and preferences.

I own both and will never trade either as they scratch different itches. If I HAD to let one go it would be Battlelore because the WW2 theme is of more interest to ME. But how that informs YOUR decision is beyond me.

What I CAN say is that they are both excellent games and they feel very different. It doesn't have to be an either/or decision IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Battlelore to M44. There's more substance to the game, at least in their respective base formats.

I'm interested in WW2 but there are far better games than M44 around if that theme grabs you.

I'm not aware of a better "100 years war with added Goblins" game than Battlelore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkstarDL wrote:
Ah, I should also mention I have heard of Battles of Westeros. It's tempting because I love the ASOIAF universe. From what I've read, it's quite different from (and maybe inferior to?) the standard BL game. I don't know though as I've not played either game. I'd love to read more opinions.

Don't bother....it's not BattleLore, its not even Command & Colors. I am not a big Memoir 44 fan, but I prefer it to BoW rubbish. I still say BattleLore stands at the top of the C&C hill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for all the input. I'm going to buy it. The French Repurposed version is good, right? I'd just need to print rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkstarDL wrote:
Thanks again for all the input. I'm going to buy it. The French Repurposed version is good, right? I'd just need to print rules?

Yes they're absolutely fine. Grab one while you still can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkstarDL wrote:

Yay! And welcome to the fold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get both games then get both. There's enough differences between the games to warrant both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizalou wrote:
If you can get both games then get both. There's enough differences between the games to warrant both games.
I would recommend trying before buying. Memoir left me dry and wanting something to wash down the bad taste. Of all the family it is my least favourite, although I do have a preference for WWII block games with more detail so that may be where the feeling of disappointment comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both and greatly prefer Battlelore. Can I have fun playing Memoir, yes, absolutely, but I find the C&C system more personally satisfying when used in pre-firearm periods.
I'll try to explain:
The C&C system in Memoir is too abstract to me. Equipment varied greatly between armies in WWII and I find it hard to get past the fact that all tanks for example are the same in Memoir offensively and defensively. I likewise have a hard time suspending reality that units with guns won't shoot back when in range.

While I'm not in any way saying that Battlelore is a historically accurate simulation of medieval warfare (even discounting the magic elements), but its easier for my head to wrap around abstractness of the C&C mechanics in conjunction with the time period such as with the relative sameness of units between sides, the battleback options, etc. and make the game experience more immersive to me in that system then I can in more modern settings as with Memoir or even Battle Cry (havent had the chance to try Napoleonics yet).

Hope that made any sense...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.