Popular Tags: [View All]
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter brought home a fundraiser for her school and it has this in it! It even has the correct over/under lines.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10107003/scan113.jpg

If that's not an eldersign, I'll bite your bum!

I guess they need to keep the school safe from budget cuts made by the deep ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all,
Phil of Mars wrote:

If that's not an eldersign, I'll bite your bum!

I really hope that's an elder sign!

Second of all, that's awesome. There should be a whole series of Lovecraftian jewelry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovecraft described elder signs looking like a swastika in Shadow Over Innsmouth. It was Derleth that described them as a warped star. The Rpg used Derleth's version as well. Considering that the swastika became associated with Nazi Germany, you can't blame them. Though, if I remember correctly, the swastika was a popular good luck charm in the 20s, used in Hinduism, and the shape of a level in the original Legend of Zelda game.

The necklace does look like the Derleth version.

That, and man I am a geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Laudwic wrote:
Lovecraft described elder signs looking like a swastika in Shadow Over Innsmouth. It was Derleth that described them as a warped star. The Rpg used Derleth's version as well. Considering that the swastika became associated with Nazi Germany, you can't blame them. Though, if I remember correctly, the swastika was a popular good luck charm in the 20s, used in Hinduism, and the shape of a level in the original Legend of Zelda game.

If you are, then so am I. I was on the fence about posting much of the same, finally deciding to refrain from doing so, lest I be thought as raining on someone's parade. I don't know why, but the mingling of Lovecraft's work with Derleth's bothers me to this day. On one hand, I don't know if I would have been exposed to Lovecraft's writing were it not for Derleth's efforts after Lovecraft's death, but on the other hand, the fact that so much of Derleth's additions to the Mythos are considered canonical and confused for Lovecraft's work, rustles my jimmies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
'moi' has just now 'manufactured'/made-up a Salvador Dali-inspired "melted *star*!" 'depiction' for that too! Once, I have gotten and modified such! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel VandenBurg
United Kingdom
ISLEWORTH
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
is this why the world gonna end in 2012?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah I knew that stuff too.
I just knew you guys would be more in touch with this:

Elder Sign

Somewhere I have a book by Robert E Howard with his lovecraft stories. I'll have to dig that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Laudwic wrote:

If you are, then so am I. I was on the fence about posting much of the same, finally deciding to refrain from doing so, lest I be thought as raining on someone's parade. I don't know why, but the mingling of Lovecraft's work with Derleth's bothers me to this day. On one hand, I don't know if I would have been exposed to Lovecraft's writing were it not for Derleth's efforts after Lovecraft's death, but on the other hand, the fact that so much of Derleth's additions to the Mythos are considered canonical and confused for Lovecraft's work, rustles my jimmies.

I kinda hesitated because he was threatening to bite my bum if he was wrong, that is why I threw in the Derleth stuff. His daughter is selling Derleth elder signs not Lovecraft ones.

(this is why the flag icon is great, I figure Indiana is far enough away from Florida that my bum is safe no matter what - plus, my wife tells me she owns it anyways.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to have to clarify by saying "fantasy flight elder sign".
I don't want a line forming at gencon.
shudder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:

Somewhere I have a book by Robert E Howard with his lovecraft stories. I'll have to dig that out.

I'm a big fan of The Black Stone:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Stone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.