Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just set a new personal best in my 4th solo game.
I played with Tovak. Dummy player was Goldyx.

It is not a detailed turn by turn report, but a summary of my score calculation and an analysis. Here's a pic of the final map and my path:

I may or may not have stopped by the village near the 2nd monastery to recruit a unit, but I think I allready had all slots taken and didn't want to replace any. And I certainly didn't want to plunder it since I had allready burned a monastery and taken control of a couple of keeps and a mage tower.

It felt like I was wasting time in the beginning and didn't explore a single new tile the first day, but by the end of the first night I got my butt in gear and went exploring.

At the end of the 3rd day I had taken control of the white city. I spent some influence there the following night to get some elite units before moving on to find the last city. I felt lucky to get the green city as my last as it only have orcs nearby. So, the last few turns I spent killing these orcs and conquering the city with one forced withdrawal.

Here's how I scored:

Fame at end of last turn: 107
Greatest Knowledge: 10 (1 spells, 8 advanced actions)
Greatest Loot: 4 (2 arftifacts)
Greatest Leader: 10 (2+3+4+2 (one wounded lvl 2))
Greatest Conqueror: 10 (1 mage tower, 3 keeps, 1 monastery)
Greatest Adventurer: 4 (1 ancient ruins, 1 monster den)
Greatest Beating: -6 (3 wounds in my deck)
Cities conquered: 20 (white lvl 5 and green lvl 8)
All cities conquered: 15
Cards left in dummy deck: 3
End of round not announced: 5

Total: 182 points

Skills at the end in the order i got them: I Feel No Pain, Shield Mastery, Who Needs Magic, Cold Swordsmanship, Motivation

My reputation ended at -5 (influence modifier of -3)

After this I must say I'm impressed with how people manage to get over 300 points. Two of my keeps should have been adventure sites instead for some extra good cards in my deck. That might have taken me over 200. Still 100 points to go. I will have to try a bit more and turn up city levels once I get consistant wins, but I still find it challenging enough at the standard setting listed in the scenario.

With my first victory I played Arythea and found it easy because of her Power of Pain skill. This time I had to manage the wounds more, but again I got lucky and drew 'I Feel No Pain' as my first skill. This made it bareable and I didn't have to purchase healing from villages or monasteries once. I used my healing skills whenever I could and even got Golden Grail as an extra bonus.

Spells I could have been better on. I only got one (Underground Travel) but I never used it. I should have chosen differently when selecting my reward from the first mage tower. But then again, how should I have known my path would mostly take me over plains?

The tomb up near the cities was also a missed opportunity, but I really didn't have the time to go there at that point. Sad really since it would have gained me more than a +10 point bonus, which alone would have helped me get awfully close to the 200 mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
From your words in another thread,

postm wrote:
For my next game I used Tovak and got his ability to discard one wound per turn. That too was very powerful, but at the end I still got rid of most of my wounds and ended up with only three of them. That's a HUGE improvement from 23.

and

postm wrote:
With my first victory I played Arythea and found it easy because of her Power of Pain skill. This time I had to manage the wounds more, but again I got lucky and drew 'I Feel No Pain' as my first skill. This made it bareable and I didn't have to purchase healing from villages or monasteries once. I used my healing skills whenever I could and even got Golden Grail as an extra bonus]

It seems to me that you think Tovak's "I Feel No Pain" allows you to throw away one Wound (and draw a card) per turn. That would be incorrect. It allows you to discard one Wound from your hand per turn. You would still have to find a way to Heal your Wounds.

Throw: Remove the card totally from play.
Discard: Put the card into your discard pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, I played correctly and discarded them into the discard pile like I should.

I meant it was powerful because you get to replace one of the wound cards with a potential useful card from the deck. The wounds still get recycled into my deck at the next round.

If you read the quotes you made again, you can see that I, like you, used the word "discard" and not "throw away".

The reason I didn't have to heal in villages and monasteries was simply because I was better at blocking in combat and keeping the number of wounds low enough to handle by other means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.