Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this seems like a ridiculous statement but I've had a hard time figuring out how to use this class effectively. Maybe I just suck...I dunno. Anyways, I've played through quite a bit of the campaign and I'm finding a lot the class abilities to be either too situational to almost useless. Maybe I need to concentrate on the utility the class brings as opposed to the damage. They have great defensive abilities too but I'm usually attacking from range so it's not usually a big issue. Anyways, I would love to get some other opinions on this. Maybe the Wildlander might be more my bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Use Greed to get those Search tokens! The Quests only reward 25 gold per player, if any gold at all. You will need that gold from Act I to buy the Act II weapons!

Wildlander is fine, too. He ability to soak damage as Fatigue keeps the OL from trying to kill her. OTOH, for many Quests, killing heroes is unnecessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I think I'm trying to play the thief more as a sneaky damage dealer. A lot of the encounters so far have made it extremely risky to waste actions searching. I usually only get the bonus from sneaky on my very first turn. The other half is only needed if there are doors. Dirty tricks is cool but it requires a blade weapon which means a melee weapon. Well the thief seems better off attacking from ranged and later weapons usually have a stun effect anyways. I'd almost rather just give a bow to the thief. That made me think maybe Wildlander is what I should be playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have an odd strategy; odd in that our Theif really roleplays his character.

3 of us attack monsters and consentrate on the quest. He helps when he can, but will make his priority to sneak by monsters; avoid combat; and go for any and all searches/treasures.

We have not lost a quest, yet, but even if we do, at least we will have the "concilation prize" of getting all the searches we could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbarchuk wrote:
Yea I think I'm trying to play the thief more as a sneaky damage dealer. A lot of the encounters so far have made it extremely risky to waste actions searching. I usually only get the bonus from sneaky on my very first turn. The other half is only needed if there are doors. Dirty tricks is cool but it requires a blade weapon which means a melee weapon. Well the thief seems better off attacking from ranged and later weapons usually have a stun effect anyways. I'd almost rather just give a bow to the thief. That made me think maybe Wildlander is what I should be playing.

Obviously the thief has a weapon to start with that is a ranged blade weapon in the throwing knives. I can't think off the top of my head if there are any town items that are similar to improve that tactic.

If you have the ability that allows you to use another adjacent players defense pool then in the early games that is as strong as an Act 1 Ettin and can only get better. You could fatigue move next to a hero double attack and the overlord is likely to hit the other guy anyway knowing your defense is higher. So melee weapons can be effective for the thief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Puldon
United States
Miller Place
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I have been using tomble as a thief for up to the interlude now in a 3 hero game. I've been mostly playing him as a sneak attacker. Though with greedy I'm ususally the one that goes out of my way to get the search items.

Basically, I got bushwhack(great for big monster groups) and the ability that lets me open doors for free/get defense dice from adjacent heroes. I start every quest in the tile behind the other 2 heroes so I never start with line of sight and with the crossbow(great thief weapon) I can do lots of damage with the potential to move monsters in the way of others such that I get to do bushwhack sometimes.

And since I try to stay near our tank I almost always have 5 defense dice to roll if I'm ever attacked. I don't know what the act II quests will bring but we'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tumble is also a great Theif skill. In some quests it is awesome. I also like Bushwack and the open door skill. Dirty tricks can be nice as well.

But Bushwack is probably the best. It is great against the big monsters in 2-3 hero games. Probably a little less useful in a 4 hero game I would guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Barchuk
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips guys. I really appreciate it. I'm also big into roleplaying the character too and I think that has been a stumbling block for me in terms of how to play this character. I definitely picture a thief (as far as combat goes) either backstabbing with daggers or using crossbows or bows. Starting weapon was very thematic. There isn't any ACT1 or 2 daggers and I have a hard time picturing my thief running around with a hammer, pick, or sword. I agree about the crossbow. Very cool weapon. But then came time for me to get an ACT2 weapon. Only options really were dwarven firebombs or the bow.(can't remember its name) Dwarven firebombs are awesome but, again, I have time seeing my thief running around, silently, throwing hand grenades. The only other option is the bow. Is it worth giving a thief a bow? I figured those were primarily for Wildlanders to use. So I think these issues have prevented me from roleplaying which I have to do to truly enjoy the class and experience. I know, I know. I need to get over it...lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbarchuk wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys. I really appreciate it. I'm also big into roleplaying the character too and I think that has been a stumbling block for me in terms of how to play this character. I definitely picture a thief (as far as combat goes) either backstabbing with daggers or using crossbows or bows. Starting weapon was very thematic. There isn't any ACT1 or 2 daggers and I have a hard time picturing my thief running around with a hammer, pick, or sword. I agree about the crossbow. Very cool weapon. But then came time for me to get an ACT2 weapon. Only options really were dwarven firebombs or the bow.(can't remember its name) Dwarven firebombs are awesome but, again, I have time seeing my thief running around, silently, throwing hand grenades. The only other option is the bow. Is it worth giving a thief a bow? I figured those were primarily for Wildlanders to use. So I think these issues have prevented me from roleplaying which I have to do to truly enjoy the class and experience. I know, I know. I need to get over it...lol.

Or just hope that the first expansion contains more thief appropriate weapons!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
We have not lost a quest, yet,

Well, if that's the result of an "odd" strategy, keep at it!

I see too many people complaining that the players can't win, so definitely post your "odd strategies" in the strategy forum sometime!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
From my experience, as others have mentioned, while the thief CAN do some damage, I don't really feel that's their primary role. The intro skill "Greedy" seems to hint towards making searches your priority. In addition, one of the top tier skills for thieves involves searching. There are times to help out the group and take a swing at an enemy but you'll never do the damage of a beserker, runemaster, or necromancer.

There are actually a few missions that do reward being able to search efficiently and being able to be a fast(er) character. Being able to rush an objective with Tumble can single-handledly win a mission.

One more important note, is appraisal. It might just be me, but this can almost effectively guarantee you get a free Act I/II treasure from searching. I see too many thieves use it ONLY when they get the "Nothing!" card. Personally, I'd rather use it EVERY search to raise the chances of getting the treasure chest. After you've gotten the treasure chest, maybe only use appraisal for the "Nothing"/25-cost treasures (unless your team really needs a stamina and/or health potion, health potion for our 14 hp knight, yes please).

Lurk does about the same as appraisal as it increases the number of searches you can do in a turn, as it costs no action. The slight defensive bonus can be a perk too.

On ability checks, most thieves have high awareness which attests to their skill at avoiding traps such as tripwire and pit trap. Again, another hint towards their emphasis on mobility. The overlord will have to be pretty desperate to try to trap a thief with 4/5 awareness.

In summary, my belief is that the thief is, as some have suggested, an insurance card that even if the mission goes poorly, the team will have gold/treasure to improve via shop items rather than extra xp or relics. As well as a nimble, fast moving character meant for search/running after objectives similar to the "Runner" in many capture-the-flag type scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlstad Wildhammer
Germany
flag msg tools
My absolute favorite Thief is Grey Ker.

First turn : Bushwack (1 fatigue), dirty tricks (1 fatigue)
then let another player go
start of second turn, bushwack is no longer exhausted
bushwack again (1 fatigue), dirty tricks (1 fatigue)

4 Attacks with two stuns isn´t bad at all.

Next round the same, only instead of dirty tricks rest action, ending the first turn, and having no fatigue in the second turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jordan rhoad
United States
Clyde
Ohio
flag msg tools
Our Group:
Syndrael- Knight
Mad Carthos- Necromancer
Elder Mok- Spirit Speaker
Silhouette- Thief

We told the player that his primary goal is to search every token on the map. We are 2 quests in(just won castle Darion!) and have only missed 3 tokens. Syndrael is our tank.

Combining their heroic feats, we can get 18 movement and a search 3 spaces away on silhouette in 1 round. 3 stamina, Syndrael heroic for 5, silhouette heroic for 10 movement(while searching every one on the way).

Appraisal is our best friend. We rarely keep stamina potions and never keep health potions. We have almost everyone decked out, need only 2 more items in act I and have 275 extra gold. We are looking at going into act II with 600-900 gold depending on our searches.

As for the damage, we see the thief's damage as extra. If he can't get to a token to do a search or if it's a critical moment, he will attack. Otherwise he's moving to get to a token. The reanimate is our "4th hero" since it can be summoned for free if killed and does decent damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlstad wrote:

Next round the same, only instead of dirty tricks rest action, ending the first turn, and having no fatigue in the second turn.

You may have seen it by now in the Adam and Justin Sez thread, but Grey Ker's abilities don't refresh like this. He can take the second action of his turn later on, but his skills and items remain exhausted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Puldon
United States
Miller Place
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Karlstad wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but you should read the Justin rules thread. Grey Ker does not unexhaust skills on his 'second' turn in one round. He only gets 1 action and can fatigue, but none of the refresh stuff happens so what you said is illegal, sorry...

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.