Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks ago, my roommate got me back into MTG (after a 12 year hiatus). He's never played before and I haven't played since 7th grade, so we opted for the M13 intro decks. I grabbed the Sole Domination deck, which is an exalted themed deck, and he picked up Depths of Power, Since then he's accumulated about 1000 cards across 6 or 7 decks, meanwhile I've been refining my two B/W decks.

Below is my current "sole domination" deck:

Creatures:
Black Knight x 1
Akrasan Squire x 2
Aven Squire x 2
Knight of Glory x 2
Duskmantle Prowler x 2
Duty-Bound Dead x 3
Knight of Infamy x 4
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis x 2
Tormented Soul x 3
Vampire Nighthawk x 3

Enchantments:
Angelic Benediction x 2
Oblivion Ring x 2

Artifacts:
Ring of Xathrid x 1

Spells:
Castigate x 4
Unmake x 3

Land:
Vault of the Archangel x 1
Cathedral of War x 1
Evolving Wilds x 1
Plains x 8
Swamp x 15

Sideboard:
Undying Evil x 4
Builder's Blessing x 1
Unmake x 1
Cower in Fear x 4
Revoke Existence x 4
Dark Ritual x 1

This deck wins more than it loses, but it struggles against suicidal goblins and/or burns. Most of the creatures have less than 3 toughness, so a single Flames of the Firebrand can sweep me of my knights and such. I plan on adding more Builder's Blessings to my sideboard, since I'm generally only attacking with 1 creature at a time, it should improve my staying power vs burns. I opted for Unmake instead of Murder/Go For the Throat/Terror/Doom Blade because my roommate has a mean Undying deck and many of his creatures in his Goblin suicide deck trigger burn effects when they are killed (he also has Firewing Phoenix).

Since I've been out of the loop for a while, do you folks see anything I can switch out that or more effective/efficient for their roles? We don't play any particular format, but prefer modern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer to undying is not to exile things but to have more removal. 1 Exile is usless. This deck is a bit spread too. Of course the amount of cards you acctually have might be a problem.

I started building a new standard deck along the same lines. The very early prototype is:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/angelic-torment/

although I already have some planned changes (1 more Cathedral of War, a planar cleansing and another Nefarox)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
The answer to undying is not to exile things but to have more removal. 1 Exile is usless. This deck is a bit spread too. Of course the amount of cards you acctually have might be a problem.

I don't understand. If you Murder, Divine Verdict, etc. an Undying creature, it will just bounce back. So loading-up on removal in that sense is a uphill battle. Hand removal (e.g. Castigate) and exiling cards don't trigger Undying abilities, which works for me.

Yeah my spells are a little spread out because I chose 1 or 2 of each just for the sake of filling out the 60-card criteria, but it's not representative of what I actually bring to the duel, ergo my sideboard. So no, I wouldn't bring 1 exile to a duel... My roomie has like 6 decks, so my spell load-out varies from game-to-game. I'm more likely to use 4 x Castigate and 2 x O-ring if I'm going in blind. In any case, I edited the OP to better represent a spell load-out I'd actually use on one of his decks.

I'm basically looking for a little more flexibility/efficiency. For instance, I recently made the switch from Murder to Unmake to avoid Undying abilities and triggering his goblin burn effects; this is a win-win for me because I don't play anything out of the graveyard anyway, and my opponent usually does. Also dumped 2x Pacifism for 2x O-Ring.

Quote:
I started building a new standard deck along the same lines. The very early prototype is:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/angelic-torment/

although I already have some planned changes (1 more Cathedral of War, a planar cleansing and another Nefarox)

Looking at your deck, I'd like to ask why you chose 2 x Divine Verdict instead of black removal (same with Essence Drain)? IMO, 4cmc is a bit much for a removal with those casting prerequisites. I also see your deck struggling against my roommate's UB Hexproof deck; he uses soulbond abilities, Invisible Stalker, artifacts, and auras to pump up/create beastly hexproof creatures. Without deathtouch from Vampire Nighthawk and/or Castigate, I'd be folding more often than not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would consider Pacifism as a 2-mana cost removal spell against undying. If he isn't playing black or red, he won't have a way to get rid of an enchantment, and there aren't a whole lot of undying creatures with other abilities that you want to get rid of. I would also replace the Black Knight and Duskmantle Prowlers with more Knights of Glory and Infamy. Also check out Battlegrace Angel if you want a bigger topend threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:

Since I've been out of the loop for a while, do you folks see anything I can switch out that or more effective/efficient for their roles? We don't play any particular format, but prefer modern.
What sort of budget are we talking about here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
I would consider Pacifism as a 2-mana cost removal spell against undying. If he isn't playing black or red, he won't have a way to get rid of an enchantment, and there aren't a whole lot of undying creatures with other abilities that you want to get rid of.

Sounds good, I'll add some Pacifisms to my sideboard. The only Undying creatures he has that ruins my day are Flayer of the Hatebound and Pyreheart Wolf. The wolf you see is particularly deadly against exalted weenies.

Quote:
I would also replace the Black Knight and Duskmantle Prowlers with more Knights of Glory and Infamy. Also check out Battlegrace Angel if you want a bigger topend threat.

Great idea. 4 drop haste/exalted was lame anyway. I don't have a Battlegrace Angel though; should I roll with 1 or 2?

Creatures (22)
Black Knight x 1
Akrasan Squire x 2
Aven Squire x 2
Knight of Glory x 3
Duskmantle Prowler x 2
Duty-Bound Dead x 3
Knight of Infamy x 4
Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis x 2
Tormented Soul x 3
Vampire Nighthawk x 3

Enchantments (4)
Angelic Benediction x 2
Oblivion Ring x 2

Artifacts (1)
Ring of Xathrid x 1

Spells (7)
Castigate x 4
Unmake x 3

Lands (26)
Vault of the Archangel x 1
Cathedral of War x 1
Evolving Wilds x 1
Plains x 8
Swamp x 15

Sideboard (15)
Undying Evil x 4
Builder's Blessing x 1
Unmake x 1
Cower in Fear x 3
Revoke Existence x 2
Dark Ritual x 1
Pacifism x 4

spoon wrote:
What sort of budget are we talking about here?

Ideally, I'd spend about $10 more on this deck. I'd like to avoid mythics, I don't want to be the one that brings mythics to our casual games, unless my roomie starts it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:

Ideally, I'd spend about $10 more on this deck. I'd like to avoid mythics, I don't want to be the one that brings mythics to our casual games, unless my roomie starts it first.

I'd try to get 4x of Aven Squire - his flying makes him pretty awesome for Exalted.

Since you probably want your 2-drop to be a creature, I'd maybe trade the castigates for one of the 1-cost cards that do a similar thing, like duress.

Or, in magic notation:
+2 Aven Squire
+2 Duress
-4 Castigate

For the sideboard, I'd throw in a extra Knight of Glory so you can 4x it against black. It more or less beats down mono-black by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
SPARTAN VI wrote:

I'd try to get 4x of Aven Squire - his flying makes him pretty awesome for Exalted.

Since you probably want your 2-drop to be a creature, I'd maybe trade the castigates for one of the 1-cost cards that do a similar thing, like duress.

Or, in magic notation:
+2 Aven Squire
+2 Duress
-4 Castigate

For the sideboard, I'd throw in a extra Knight of Glory so you can 4x it against black. It more or less beats down mono-black by itself.

I can experiment with that, but I'll have a hard time parting with the ability to dump his hexproof creatures.

Also considering adding a double-strike enchantment/artifact instead of Ring of Xathrid. Imagine an exalted-backed Tormented Soul with double-strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
I guess that rules out a $20 Sublime Archangel.

As long as you don't mind breaking Standard, then I agree with Ren Man that Battlegrace Angel is a nice add (and far cheaper than Sublime above!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
SPARTAN VI wrote:

As long as you don't mind breaking Standard, then I agree with Ren Man that Battlegrace Angel is a nice add (and far cheaper than Sublime above!)

We actually have 1 Sublime Angel between the two of us, but he has her wrapped up in an angel deck of his... cry

And no, I don't mind breaking standard. I believe our decks would fit the modern format at best. We don't go to FNM (yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
spoon wrote:
[q="SPARTAN VI"]
+2 Aven Squire
+2 Duress
-4 Castigate

I can experiment with that, but I'll have a hard time parting with the ability to dump his hexproof creatures.

Ok, with that in mind, how about this:

+2 Aven Squire
+4 Despise
-4 Castigate
-1 Ring of Xathrid
-1 Knight of Infamy

SIDEBOARD:
+3 Zealous Persecution
-3 Cower in Fear

+1 Knight of Infamy
+1 Knight of Glory
-1 Undying Evil
-1 Builder's Blessing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
SPARTAN VI wrote:

We actually have 1 Sublime Angel between the two of us, but he has her wrapped up in an angel deck of his... cry

And no, I don't mind breaking standard. I believe our decks would fit the modern format at best. We don't go to FNM (yet).

Sorin, Lord of Innistrad is almost reasonable now... probably can get one under the $10 limit on ebay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
SPARTAN VI wrote:
spoon wrote:
[q="SPARTAN VI"]
+2 Aven Squire
+2 Duress
-4 Castigate

Ok, with that in mind, how about this:

+2 Aven Squire
+4 Despise
-4 Castigate
-1 Ring of Xathrid
-1 Knight of Infamy

SIDEBOARD:
+3 Zealous Persecution
-3 Cower in Fear

+1 Knight of Infamy
+1 Knight of Glory
-1 Undying Evil
-1 Builder's Blessing

Very nice! I'll definitely be picking these up at the LGS. Thanks man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got to the LGS today to pick up 4x Despise, 3x Zealous Persecution, 1x Knight of Glory, and 3x Glorious Anthem. The roomie picked up some more Markov Blademasters and Whispersilk Cloaks for his B/R Vampire deck:

Creatures (23)
2 x Bloodline Keeper
3 x Falkenrath Exterminator
2 x Falkenrath Noble
2 x Heirs of Stromkirk
4 x Markov Blademaster
4 x Stromkirk Captain
2 x Stromkirk Noble
4 x Vampire Nighthawk

Instants (4)
1 x Chandra's Fury
3 x Tragic Slip

Enchantments (10)
2 x Dark Favor
2 x Mark of the Vampire
2 x Predator's Gambit
2 x Skeletal Grimace
2 x Volcanic Strength

Lands (24)
10 x Mountain
14 x Swamp

Equipment (6)
4 x Whispersilk Cloak
2 x Mask of Avacyn

Went 0-2 against this before adding my purchases. Was kinda hoping my uncommons would somehow overcome his rares. Derp.

I gave in and added my new purchases. Current build looks like:

Creatures (24)
4 x Tormented Soul
2 x Duty-Bound Dead
4 x Aven Squire
4 x Knight of Glory
4 x Knight of Infamy
4 x Vampire Nighthawk
2 x Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis

Instants/Sorceries (8)
4 x Unmake
4 x Despise

Enchantments (4)
1 x Angelic Benediction
3 x Glorious Anthem

Lands (24)
10 x Plains
10 x Swamp
2 x Tainted Field
1 x Cathedral of War
1 x Vault of the Archangel

I went 4-1! Glorious Anthem stole the show. He ended up throwing out all of his Cower in Fears when he saw them. Having 8x fast exalted Knights absolutely helped and Vampire Nighthawks are an excellent deterrent. He truly despised my new "Despise" trickery; I'm sure his blood was boiling when I dumped his Bloodline Keeper and Markov Blademaster in a single turn. laugh

Alas, I'm not sure if we should keep going with this arms race between the two of us. It seems one of us comes up with a tactic that screws with the other's deck (e.g. Curse of the Nightly Hunt) in a very specific way, and we go back and forth countering that very specific tactic (e.g. loading up on O-rings/Revoke Existence to counter). I'm hoping to convince him to try the pauper format; I feel it might level the playing field while keeping the game affordable for the both of us. I already proposed making a "cube" and he's completely against it if only because he wants entire freedom to make the craziest decks he can afford. Meanwhile I'm trying to adapt my single deck to be as flexible as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPARTAN VI wrote:

Went 0-2 against this before adding my purchases. Was kinda hoping my uncommons would somehow overcome his rares. Derp.

My roomie hated the idea of setting up a cube, but hated the idea of pauper magic even more. Then this morning another $20 worth of uncommons, rares, and a couple mythics showed up in the mail. shake

Looks like it was mostly stuff for his undying deck, plus some Stuffy Doll combos. He converted his G/R Undying themed deck to B/R (complete with some 15 rares) at the expense of a top-heavy mana curve.

I whipped out my side board then -2 Nefarox (I don't want him triggering his Undying guys), -2 Knight of Infamy (didn't need protection from white), and -1 Angelic Benediction (I don't care for the 4cmc and tapping when I have 3x Glorious Anthems). Then I +4 Castigate and +1 Oblivion Ring to exile as many Undying creatures as possible. I almost brought out 4x Pacifisms, then I caught a glimpse of Demonlord of Ashmouth and Rage Thrower, which means he was planning on sac'ing his own undying creatures to burn my face.

Game 1. Nothing exciting. He was very slow to start and I foolishly kept a hand full of black creatures and 2 plains. I was only able to field 2x Aven Squires before being mana flooded by plains. He didn't have any heavy hitters, but once his Pyreheart Wolf hit, it was GG.

Game 2. It was as if I was playing a BW control deck. I had a removal-heavy draw: T1- Swamp, Despise. T2- Plains, Castigate. T3- Plains, Glorious Anthem. T4- Cathedral of War, Aven Squire, Tormented Soul. T5 and on - Vampire Nighthawk, Despise, then smooth sailing from there, and still had 20hp at the end.

Game 3. He was utterly mana screwed, but threw out some tricks with Infernal Plunge to summon Flayer of the Hatebound at turn 4. Still no match for my removal; unmake and despise all day!

The lesson of the day is, it doesn't matter how many rares you have in your deck if your mana curve is entirely screwed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
SPARTAN VI wrote:
The lesson of the day is, it doesn't matter how many rares you have in your deck if your mana curve is entirely screwed up.

Nice report and YES.

You have to have mana to cast them thar spells and summons. That $30 rare does a whole lot of good in your hand, sitting, when you have 0 mana to summon it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.