Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: Descent 2 PBF, game I rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome to the new game of Descent, Second Edition! This game will consist of one scenario (two encounters).

We are playing an advanced quest of Descent 2e, with no conversion kit

Player list:

Moderator: Tymsham
Overlord: Ackbar117 -- for encounter 1 chooses: Elementals and Merriods for open monsters.
Purchases 1 dark Fortitude, 1 Blood Rage and 1 Bloodlust for 4 EXP.

Each hero has 3 exp to spend.
Party treasure is 600 gold, Heroes may buy any act I item.
Hero's may sell starting gear for 25 gold each item.

Hero 1: lprunk -- Jain Fairwood as Wildlander
Hero 2: slackerb -- Leoric as Runemaster
Hero 3: Titeman -- Avric as Disciple.
Hero 4: Klaxx -- Syndrael as Knight.

Scenario: The Frozen Spire

Rules:

Bold your orders! Non-bolded orders will be treated as commentary and will be ignored by me. I welcome discussion/tactical planning but I need to differentiate game moves and fluff at first glance.

No modifying orders/inserting stuff in the middle of posts once posted! Follow-ups after the rolls are fine, however, to avoid multiple-posting.

Please reread your posts before submitting. I can stand some typos but give me too many and my eyes start to hurt after a while and yes, I do enforce it.

If someone makes an illegal/invalid action (i.e. against the rules of the game), all later orders, rolls etc. become invalid and the game rewinds to that point.

Post "End turn" after your turn, or something similar. Also, the last hero posts "Heroes done". If someone doesn't end their turn, it ends automatically after 2 hours. This is simply to help me update and speed up the game.

Maximum delay is 48 hours. The timer is off on weekends and holidays. This is flexible. If you know you can't make it/have an IRL problem/have a local holiday, PM me. If you know you can't continue playing, let me know so I can find a replacement. This is OK with me, given the commitment this campaign requires. Stalling isn't.

This game (if it is still running) will be paused from November 2nd until November 12th.

Only actions taken within the last 24 hours can be rewound/interrupted. Exceptions only if you PM me beforehand. I want to avoid unnecessary slowdowns.

Any "reaction" test that won't be modified can also be rolled by the person who caused it, or the moderator, to avoid slowdowns. In case of simultaneous rolls from different people, the first one stands.
These rolls include defense rolls, attribute test and similar. They do not include "trap card, hero chooses which attribute to test" situations.

Information:

We'll use these codes, paste them as your dice in the GeekRoller:

Blue Attack Die:
1custom6{iid:1311394;iid:1311395;iid:1311396;iid:1311397;iid:1311398;iid:1311399}

Red Power Die:
1custom6{iid:1311403;iid:1311403;iid:1311403;iid:1311404;iid:1311405;iid:1311406}

Yellow Power Die:
1custom6{iid:1311411;iid:1311412;iid:1311413;iid:1311414;iid:1311415;iid:1311416}

Brown Light Armor Die:
1custom6{iid:1311400;iid:1311400;iid:1311401;iid:1311401;iid:1311401;iid:1311402}

Silver Medium Armor Die:
1custom6{iid:1311407;iid:1311407;iid:1311407;iid:1311408;iid:1311409;iid:1311410}

Black Heavy Armor Die:
1custom6{iid:1311390;iid:1311390;iid:1311390;iid:1311391;iid:1311392;iid:1311393}

Note: Roller will allow max. 3 kinds of custom dice due to character limit. If you have 4+ different dice, split them into 2 rolls.

PLEASE include a commentary (e.g. roll title) in the roll, it'll get rid of the annoying code (it's still visible beneath the post if you really need to)!

(See the recruitment/advice thread for dice examples/link to testing forum)

Descriptions:

I am a fluff description, brave heroes. Italicized text will tell you about your surroundings and give you hints on what dangers and rewards award you in the immediate area. But beware, as looks can sometimes be misleading!

This is a game mechanics text. Big Ugly Monster hits Player for 16 damage -3 armor, Player is knocked out. (no, not really)

Normal text is my commentary.

The maps will be posted every turn, possibly with arrows and markings indicating moved figures/attacks/whatever. A text summary of stats/visible cards/etc. will be attached.

This is my first attempt to moderate a PBF game, go easy on me. At least for the first week or so.

If you like it, thumb it

Note: This post, including the rules, can and will change during the game. It is in your interest to check the OP once in a while. If the rules change, they won't be retroactive.

-edit for Reaction rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Descent 2 PBF, game One --- "The Frozen Spire"
Hey guys,

Since Shnar is busy with RL, I asked if I could mod this game. Otherwise I might end up modding game III, which would be rough, since I intend to be the evil overlord in that one.

The map for this game is still a work in progress, however I have given Pierzasty a list of tiles needed to run my quest of choice. If we are all ready to play before the tileset is ready then we will make uglier then sin open table maps in a shameless attempt get Pierzasty to finish sooner.

Lets get started picking hero's, and filling in the overlords open groups, and speaking up in general so that we know all six of us are actively involved.

Please respond with any concerns you might have withThe Frozen Spire. as our quest and any thoughts for house rules

Lets have some fun.

Tymsham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we using the Conversion Kit?

Also, I will be out of town Friday-Monday this week, but that is an exception to my usual schedule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the majority of you vote for the CK, we would use the spreadsheet from page 3 of the resource thread as the actual rules, instead of as a reference, since I do not have the CK in RL.

We will follow the examples of the other games for CK, if you want the CK, Heroes pick their archetype and I give them 3 heroes to choose from. Then, you select a the class.

No CK means free choice for the heroes.

If we use CK, the overlord will have free choice for monsters.
Tymsham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote for no CK.

Good to see the game moving. Yay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine either way (CK or not...)!

edit: Oh, right. Bold...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way is fine with me, it just gives me more options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Prunk
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also vote no for the CK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have two votes for no CK, and 2 abstains. One no show. I will mail him to let him know he is in this thread.

The no CK vote wins.

Hero players, please pick your heroes, all options currently open. OL, please pick your two open groups for encounter 1. OL may select from cold, mountain, and water groups, you also get shadow dragons.

The quest is on page 20.

Tymsham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play Avric the Disciple if there are no objections.

Second choice would be Syndrael the Knight if someone else has their heart set on the Disciple...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The OL will take Elementals and Merriods for open groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
I'M TRAPPED IN AN OVERTEXT FACTORY SEND HELP
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a bit unfair to call it a no show if the thread wasn't announced, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm in. Are we playing basic game or advanced/epic? This will affect my choice of character/class.

(I'm leaning towards a Warrior (Syndrael/Knight?), just to announce my intent.)

And I have the tiles in Photoshop right now. They should be ready for tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops! No one told me I needed to be fair, I will have to consider if I have that in me...

I guess I could have typed irrelevant since the two votes already had enough to overrule the missing vote. Is that better?

As far as Basic vs Advanced vs Epic, I believe there are three choices, so a simple yes/no vote will not work.

Lets rank them. Each of you rank the three options in order of preference. They are defined on page 19 of the rule book. If you most like basic, and least like advanced you would vote like this:

Basic = 1
Advanced = 3
Epic = 2

Whichever level has the lowest score will be the version we play. All class and monster choices made before this post should be either confirmed, or changed after this descision is made.

Any questions?

Tymsham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Prunk
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play with Jain Fairwood as Wildlander.

As for the game level, I vote for:
Advanced = 1
Epic = 2
Basic = 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced, Epic, Basic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic, Advanced Basic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Bivins

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced, Basic, Epic.

I'd like to take Leoric and be a Runemaster unless others want to be a mage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced = 1
Epic = 2
Basic = 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well.

We are playing an advanced version of Descent 2e, with no conversion kit, with the quest The Frozen Spire.

Moderator: Tymsham
Overlord: Ackbar117 -- has 4 exp to spend. Elementals and Merriods -- not confirmed.

Hero 1: lprunk -- Jain Fairwood as Wildlander
Hero 2: slackerb -- Leoric and be a Runemaster
Hero 3: Titeman -- Avric the disciple. not confirmed.
Hero 4: Pierzasty -- Syndrael as Knight. not confirmed

Scenario: The Frozen Spire

-Please respond with exp purchases.

-Heroes discuss item purchases. Any bold purchase or sale that is not 'fixed' within an hour of posting will be considered to be final.

-OL please PM me with any OL cards you do not wish to have in your deck of at least 15 cards.

I will update the OP once hero and monster choices are confirmed.

Tymsham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tymsham wrote:
Titeman -- Avric the disciple. Confirmed.

Unfortunately I won't have access to my game cards until Friday evening. Will try and post my Skill choices this weekend.

If the other Part members want to shop for me/us, I'd appreciate it. Also, if the party has ideas for a good skill build for me, lemme know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Confirming Syndrael as Knight.

Can we sell basic equipment for 25g each as in campaign, or are we stuck with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tymsham wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tym L

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pierzasty wrote:

Can we sell basic equipment for 25g each as in campaign, or are we stuck with it?

That is an interesting question. My assumption was that items could be sold since the heroes can buy any item from the act I deck, I assumed they had lots of time in the shop to do whatever they wanted ahead of time.

After reading your question, I looked again, and I did not see anything in the rule book that says if this is possible.

I believe I will post the question in the rules forum to see if we can find a "real" answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ol confirms meriod and elementals.

Now i post what cards i choose right.

if soI choose 1 dark Fortitude, 1 Blood Rage and 1 Bloodlust which is all 4 of my xp.

I will pm the cards i want out of my deck in a little while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Prunk
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For skills I'm thinking in getting: Black Arrow(3xp); or Eagle Eyes(1xp) and Bow Mastery(2xp). I'll confirm later.

It's 600g for all heroes, so we can try to share it 150g for each (plus selling starting equipment). If someone wants to make a more expensive purchase we can work it out.

I'm planning on: selling my starting Yew Shortbow and buying an Elm Greatbow(100g) with a Leather Armor(75g); or keeping the Yew Shotbow, getting just a Leather Armor(75g) and leaving 75g for the rest of the team.

Any comments?

I'm assuming we can sell starting equipment, but let's wait for some more answers from the other thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.