Subject: Two quick rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harold Townsend
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello,

I've played this game many times, but two rules are still a little unclear to me.
First, when attacking a stronghold, can the defenders immediately retreat into the stronghold before any dice are rolled, or do they have to fight the first round? I always assumed that they could retreat before the battle, but then i noticed that the "scouts" card allows you to retreat into the stronghold before the battle, which seems useless if you can do that normally anyway. If they do have to fight the first round, is it normal combat (both sides hit on 5-6) or do the defenders get the stronghold's defense bonus?
Also, when rolling for the hunt, do you include dice the FP player has used for moving the fellowship into how many dice are rolled, or are they just used to determine what is needed to be rolled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ft
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sandymoo wrote:

First, when attacking a stronghold, can the defenders immediately retreat into the stronghold before any dice are rolled, or do they have to fight the first round?

Yes, they can retreat without any dice being rolled. The only reason you might play Scouts would be to trick the Shadow Player into wasting a good combat card.

Edit: You might also play scouts to retreat to an adjacent region instead of retreating into the stronghold.

Sandymoo wrote:

Also, when rolling for the hunt, do you include dice the FP player has used for moving the fellowship into how many dice are rolled, or are they just used to determine what is needed to be rolled?

They're just used to determine what is needed.

Enjoy the game! Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scouts is normally used in an area where you don't have a stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Townsend
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you!
Glad to know that I've been playing it right all along!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dariusz M
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Scouts can be used in the region containing stronghold in the situation when you've got more than 5 units at the begining of the battle and don't want to move them to reserve. Then you are playing first round (or more) till your army fits to stronghold and then you can play the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djedi gamer wrote:
Scouts can be used in the region containing stronghold in the situation when you've got more than 5 units at the begining of the battle and don't want to move them to reserve. Then you are playing first round (or more) till your army fits to stronghold and then you can play the card.

I realize that. I was just saying that in the games I've played, I've seldom seen Scouts used in areas that have a stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djedi gamer wrote:
Sphere wrote:

In this situation you dont't have to play any cards. You may retreat at the end of each battle round.
Besides, you may use Scouts only before battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dagger777 wrote:
djedi gamer wrote:
Sphere wrote:

In this situation you dont't have to play any cards. You may retreat at the end of each battle round.
Besides, you may use Scouts only before battle.

I think you musunderstood what djedi gamer was saying. The free retreat must be into the stronghold, and only 5 units can go. If you wanted to keep a larger force intact, you could retreat them (before combat) to an adjacent region by using the Scouts card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.