Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a quick question about Priority within the fight sequence.

Section A of the fight order is 'Use Effects'. The rules state that each player must use their fighter's effects, but the player with the Priority counter resolves his effect first.

With this being said, can the non-Priority players active fighter (in the current fight) nullify the results of an effect already resolved by the Priority player?

For example, let's say I have the Priority counter and am resolving a fight with a Anger fighter:

and it is facing a Control fighter:

Since I have Priority in resolving effects, I can use my fighter's effect first (which will give me +5 power for this fight).

It is now my opponents turn to resolve his fighter's effect. The Control fighter effect allows him to choose a fighter and that selected fighter has no effects this turn.

Since my effect has already resolved and applied to the power rating of my fighter, does the Control effect do nothing or does it undo the +5 power that was added to my power?

I hope I explained that well enough...

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Raisner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
The player who has priority resolves their effects first, so in this case Anger will get to use his effect first and then Control will go next. Anger gives you the +5 power for the fight, and there's nothing Control can do to stop it.

If the player with Control had priority, then he or she could select your Anger before you get to use its effect and you would not get the +5 power.

If both cards stayed in this slot and Control kept trying to remove Anger's effect, fights would basically come down to who has priority. But considering Anger only nets you 3 victory points to Control's 4, this might be a losing proposition. Luckily, there's a lot of other fighters to distract Control, so this exchange probably won't continue for long.

An odder scenario for priority would be your Anger vs. Spook [3 Power; Effect: Choose any card in play, then Unearth it (You may choose an opponent's card).].

If you have priority, then Anger goes first and you get +5 power this fight. Next, Spook uses its effect. If the player with Spook selects your Anger as the card he or she wants to Unearth, then whatever card replaces Anger won't get to use their effect since you've already gone.

However, when you enter Section B of the fight order, 'Add Up the Power,' add the printed power of your current fighter to the +5 power you received via Anger (and perhaps a +2 from a Power Up Spirit), you are checking your newly Unearthed card and not your former fighter Anger. This could mean if he or she Unearthed you into a card like Oaf [7 Power; no effect], you have an amazingly powerful fighter (at least 7+5=12 Power, which should be more than enough to overtake Spook's 3 Power).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evan Raisner wrote:

An odder scenario for priority would be your Anger vs. Spook [3 Power; Effect: Choose any card in play, then Unearth it (You may choose an opponent's card).].

If you have priority, then Anger goes first and you get +5 power this fight. Next, Spook uses its effect. If the player with Spook selects your Anger as the card he or she wants to Unearth, then whatever card replaces Anger won't get to use their effect since you've already gone.

However, when you enter Section B of the fight order, 'Add Up the Power,' add the printed power of your current fighter to the +5 power you received via Anger (and perhaps a +2 from a Power Up Spirit), you are checking your newly Unearthed card and not your former fighter Anger. This could mean if he or she Unearthed you into a card like Oaf [7 Power; no effect], you have an amazingly powerful fighter (at least 7+5=12 Power, which should be more than enough to overtake Spook's 3 Power).

Your other scenario is an interesting one, Evan. I’m not sure if I am understanding this correctly, but are you saying that effects that increase general power values (not assigned to a specific fighter) are still used for the power calculation step of the fight even if the fighter that generated the + power is removed (or unearthed in your example)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Raisner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Exactly, which is why Anger reads, "You get +5 power this fight," rather than "Anger gets +5 power this fight."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evan Raisner wrote:
Exactly, which is why Anger reads, "You get +5 power this fight," rather than "Anger gets +5 power this fight."

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.