Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one game, and both of us played at least one Vassal Courtier, but neither of us ever hired any agents from them beyond the free one given by playing the courtier. Neither of us ever needed to hire more of any type of agent beyond the three automatically available to our faction or that provided freely by the vassal courtier, and we were both apprehensive about having our vassals stolen by one another. Is there some reason to ever recruit agents from the vassals? We ponder what would happen if their hiring was incentivized by reducing the cost of a vassal agent to be one resource of the player's choice less than the cost of hiring that type of agent from their own forces. E.g. your own spy costs two coins and will never change allegiance, and perhaps it would be better for the game to have vassal spies only cost one, since they can be stolen.

Or is my one play an anomaly, and I'll absolutely need vassal agents in future games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since your own agents cannot be stolen by a Spy, you'll always want to hire your own agents first. But if you ever want to get more agents of the same type than the three beloning to your own faction, you'll need Vassal Courtiers.

The most direct reason to get them, I think, are the Triumphs that awarded to the player with the most agents of a specific type: Military Coup, The Pope Passes, Puppetmaster and A War of Shadows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevan sumner
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Join us in June for Manitoba's longest-running game convention! www.prairiecon.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience has been that the faction vassals aren't enough when you're fighting for triumphs. Four of the twelve triumphs directly require recuitment of a specific type of agent, which I've found can usually only be achieved by having one or more vassal courtiers that give you a bigger pool of agents to draw from. Getting more nobles and knights helps with the three triumphs that require control of the most forest, mining, or farm land. So that's seven of the twelve triumphs right there, and I would argue having more than your starting agents helps with a couple of the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Totonchy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing to note is that vassals provide you with a free agent. This allows you to expend influence for agents instead of coins and conscripts. Getting a vassal knight on the board for a few influence can be a great play. Otherwise I think they are mostly useful for achieving triumphs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brevity exceeds allocated space
mbmbmbmbmb
Gazpar wrote:
The other thing to note is that vassals provide you with a free agent. This allows you to expend influence for agents instead of coins and conscripts. Getting a vassal knight on the board for a few influence can be a great play. Otherwise I think they are mostly useful for achieving triumphs.

You and I differ on how we define "free".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Totonchy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right it is not free, the point is that they allow you to put agents on the board using influence instead of coins and conscripts. A potentially powerful ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.