Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played both 2 player and 4 player games and it feels very different. There are 18 cubes in a round in a 2 player game resulting in 9 actions per player(not including the well) and 24 cubes in a 4 player game resulting in 6 actions per player. The extra 3 actions per round makes a huge difference and provides more flexibility. I can get further in the counsel chamber track, prepare for the market and still have grain to send my villager up the ranks at church. The 4 player game feels more tense with limited actions (usually 2 on crafting) and usually forces me to either prepare for market or choose one of the other routes.

I prefer the flexibility of 3 more actions in a 2 player game and also the interaction of 4 players around the table.

Does anyone have a comment/opinion why the designer didn't make the actions proportional to the number of players?

What do you think about seeding the board with more cubes to provide eight/nine actions per player in a four player setup?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game with 2, 3 and 4 players, and while I agree that the game is more tense with the number of actions in a 4 player game, it is also true, that there are fewer places in the chronicle for each player!
So you try to "run" more for the chronicle, which lets the game end faster.

Also, in a two player game an action AGAINST my opponent is FOR me - while in a four player game any action AGAINST one of my OPPONENTS ist best for the other two players! This alone changes the feeling of the game.

What I never understand with all these discussions about the same "tenseness" or "feeling" with every player number: Why? Why do you want, that the game is the "same" with every number of players? It can be different, even result in very different number of victory points with a different number of players, and STILL be a good game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
The primary effect of action counts with different player counts is to reduce the number of player actions between rounds, increasing the number of masses that occur.

The game length is still primarily determined by the number of graves: chronicle + unmarked graves. Assuming players progress at approximately the same rate:

In 2-player, there are 9 + 3 = 12 total graves = 10 free ones, so the game generally must end when the first player kills off their 6th.

In 3-player, there are 13 + 4 = 17 total graves = 15 free ones, so the game generally must end when the first player kills off their 6th.

In 4-player, there are 15 + 5 = 20 total graves = 18 free ones, so the game generally must end when the third player kills off their 5th.

Obviously, things can go more quickly if one of the regions is filled earlier. In 2 and 3 player, the faster player can usually control the game length. In 4 player, the slower players usually control the game length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.