Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Olson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many, I really enjoy Panic Station but have found that a game aid is very helpful for explaining the game and for quick-reference. There are some great aids already posted in the files section, but none completely fill my needs. So I decided to create my own!

I really like when game aids have good visual design and fit with the game's theme (like the Universal Head aids). Having to reference a plain white page in the midst of "exploring an infested space station" pulls me out of the theme. As such, my biggest goal and challenge is creating an aid that matches Panic Station's visuals.

My goals:
-create a game aid to assist setup, teaching and referencing
-theme the aid to match the game, so it looks good among the other components!
-give the aid a logical flow and simple, usable structure
-include matching player aid cards with turn summary

The last point is something I've found would help new players a lot, just a simple card with turn information, one for each player.

Here is my first draft of the main Game Aid. It's two-sided and will fit in the game tin.

I tried to include all of the main rules and necessary info. I assume that the person teaching the game should have a full understanding of the rules, including some of the more minute details. I am also working on a card with Miscellany, or things that didn't fit in the guide but should still be remembered by all players.

I'd gladly welcome any feedback and I'll keep this thread updated with my progress. This is my biggest project yet, and graphic design does not come quickly to me (yet)! But hopefully when it's done it will look great and help other people enjoy the game like I do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This LOOKS great. unfortuantely I don't know if I'll have time to look into it super deep, but I'll definitely mention anything if I get a chance to look at it real close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished the Miscellany card. It has some extra rules and errata that players should remember.
These rules wouldn't fit on the Game Aid, plus this card allows these rules to be called out special since they can be easily forgotten.

I created a custom back to this card by modifying one of the character cards. It took a ton of work to create a plain background but retain the shadows and recreate the scratches!

Please provide any feedback on this and the above Game Aid. I'm now starting to work on the individual Player Aid cards. They will use the same background as the Miscellany card, and will have a basic turn summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the miscellany and strategy tips could be switched.
the miscellany is rules and the tips are just hints for players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
I think the miscellany and strategy tips could be switched.
the miscellany is rules and the tips are just hints for players.

Wow...duh! What a good point, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the front page of the game aid with Phil of Mars' suggestion to put the miscellaneous rules on it. And I've moved the strategy tips to two cards: a Human Strategy and an Infected Strategy card.
All that's left is a player aid card with the turn summary!

Feedback is much appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a roll tonight! Finished the Turn Summary card!

Now I just need to do some test prints, create printer-friendly B/W versions and then bundle it up for the Files section!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Olson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IT'S FINISHED!

I was finally able to put the finishing touches on the files, package them up, and submit them. And now you can download it!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/84995/complete-panic-s...

The zip file includes printouts for a double-sided Game Aid, as well as 18 Player Aid cards (3 for each player). I put a lot of effort into this, so I hope people enjoy it and get good use out of it

If anyone does use it and likes it (or not) please let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.