Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have been reading everything I can in anticipation of our first game. I feel comfortable with the rules but I have a few questions that I would like to confirm the answers to:

1) I understand that alliances can be canceled for free by either party to the alliance at any time and that is largely for Poland's benefit. If Poland already has an ally does that prevent another player from trying to ally with Poland, thus saving Poland 5 political points in having to declare war again, and giving Poland an incentive to ally early with someone not likely to cancel it?

2) As far as I can see, Ireland is the only spot on the map where the religious affiliation differs from the original owning nation. Does the rule for the religion track as stated in the box on page 5 still apply literally or is there an exception for Ireland? In other words, If France or Spain capture Ireland from England, the track would move towards Catholic, but it would not move if Sweden takes it? If England re-captures it, the track would only move towards anti-catholic if re-captured from France or Spain, but not Sweden?

3) As far as scoring, I understand that the points aren't cumulative. If desired you could just calculate the score at the end of the game? For example, even if a power conquers 5 territories over the course of the game, if they manage to lose them all before the end of the game those conquests are worth nothing? Even if you led in science at the end of Turn 5, it means nothing if you are in 3rd position at the end of the game, except you would get a point for each medal you claimed?

4) Does the treasury limit apply at all times other than the exception during the Collect Taxes phase? Specifically, if someone plays a piracy card with a full treasury, is the booty tossed overboard (to the bank) or does the card not execute?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Believe you are correct here. As you say, only Poland really has an incentive to want to drop an alliance without declaring war as they can have only one ally.

2. When conquering a territory of an active power of the opposite religion (ie France conquering a British territory) the track goes the aggressors way. I believe the religion of the territory only matters if it is owned by a neutral (non-player) power. Check out the section on conquering, it spells this out.

3. For me, the only reason to keep a running score is if you are playing with England whose special power requires you to know who the "leader" is. This game does not lend itself well to real time scoring as it will swing quite a bit, even within a round as actions are played out. Otherwise, I say just save yourself some time and calculate it at the end (or in your head, it's not hard as max score you can possibly get is 17).

4. If I understand it right, excess treasury only comes into play at the end of your upkeep, after paying expenses. So you can go over as long as you do not end your turn over the limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chick
United States
Tujunga
California
flag msg tools
badge
We have a house rule where we only tally victory points and mark them on the scoring track at the end of each turn. This avoids having to muck around with victory points every time someone moves on one of the tracks, and it's helps keep England's power from being such a hassle to use.

-Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Pizarro
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steven is on top of this.

Also, don't forget that during upkeep if you DO go over the limit you can give coin to an ally. One of the elements that confuse new players is the rule about each new territory adding to your upkeep cost. This is a game that is *very* hard to win going 100% alone so using an ally to help fund a campaign is important. If, of course, you want to expand at all.

bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. If I understand it right, excess treasury only comes into play at the end of your upkeep, after paying expenses. So you can go over as long as you do not end your turn over the limit.

Thanks for all the answers. I would be interested in the "official" answer to the treasury limit question though. Rules under the collect taxes phase state that you can temporarily exceed your limit at this point, thus implying that it can't be exceeded at any other time. The interpretation you have is certainly possible but not a literal reading of the rules. Thus I am still left with my original question of what happens if someone plays a piracy card when they have a full treasury?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Pizarro
United States
Granville
Ohio
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bruce,

This is as official as it gets.

The "official" rule, as it was intended, is that the treasury is the MAXIMUM and the only time you may go over it is during taxes and trade. If you allow for rampant coin collecting it can throw things off kilter during play.

Of course, if everyone agrees to this, you can certainly play it with the treasury max only coming into play during upkeep. Just know that it can lead to countries with large coin amounts which can make combat...interesting.

So if you are at full treasury capacity cards like Blackbeard are useless (well for the action anyway).

Hope that clears it up.

bill

Bbernard wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for all the answers. I would be interested in the "official" answer to the treasury limit question though. Rules under the collect taxes phase state that you can temporarily exceed your limit at this point, thus implying that it can't be exceeded at any other time. The interpretation you have is certainly possible but not a literal reading of the rules. Thus I am still left with my original question of what happens if someone plays a piracy card when they have a full treasury?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.