Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remembered a rules clarification that we never quite resolved during our first game (everything else has been answered either in the official FAQ or my trawls through this forum).

There were two plots (Caprice's and Floyd's) that mentioned that detective's dark cards, either changing their cost or attaching baggage to them. I don't have the cards in front of me, but I believe Caprice's was in her "Property of Jinteki" crossroads plot, and it said something like "Caprice's Human First cards cost 0 to play." Aside from the question of 0 what (the rulebook suggests twilight cost as opposed to time), there was a question of whether this includes dark cards with the Human First trait. The player playing Caprice was certain this should be interpreted as "Human First cards in Caprice's hand cost 0 to play," but I question this logic, because otherwise why would any of her dark cards say Human First to begin with?

Even more confusing was one of Floyd's plot. Again, I believe this was a crossroads card, but I can't recall which plot (I know it wasn't Thou Shalt Not Kill because that plot wasn't selected). Again, the card read something like "gain 1 bad baggage every time one of Floyd's dark cards is played." Is this supposed to reference Floyd playing dark cards on another player, or is he gaining (additional) bad baggage every time another player successfully plays a dark card on him? Again, I favor the latter explanation (and I was playing Floyd!), but the Caprice player thinks differently. The Caprice question seems fairly cut-and-dry to me, but the Floyd baggage question is trickier.

The meta-question would be: when a card mentions "one of [detective name]'s [specific type of twilight card]," should it be interpreted as the cards in that player's hand, or the cards with that character on the back of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floyd's dark cards have his picture on them. Floyd can never have his own dark cards in his hand.

Caprice's dark cards have her picture on them. Caprice can never have her own dark cards in her hand.

Both Dark and Light cards can be keyed to a plot.

So Caprice's Human First cards would cost 0 shift/twilight to play, regardless of if they are dark or light.

Floyd's dark cards are played by other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
The meta-question would be: when a card mentions "one of [detective name]'s [specific type of twilight card]," should it be interpreted as the cards in that player's hand, or the cards with that character on the back of them?

Floyd has a few situations like the one you described--there's a branch of Thou Shalt Not Kill that gives him two bad baggage every time one of "his" TSNK cards is played, though I'm betting the one that came up in your game was "I already have a purpose" in his Finding Himself plot, which gives him a bad baggage for each of "his" light or dark cards that's played.

Both of those are strictly consistent with either intrepretation, but his third plot pretty definitively speaks in favor of what BT says: "I will do my duty" on Property of Haas says, "Floyd gains one bad baggage each time one of his dark Property of Haas crds is played." If we try to read "his" as meaning "cards in that player's hand," then there's no such thing as Floyd's dark Property of Haas cards. (As I recall, Rachel has something similar involving her dark Father's Day cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes perfect sense now, thank you. I had another question come up to replace it: in my second game, I was playing with Rachel, and most of her cards said something along the lines of "You may draw 3 light cards to place one bad baggage on this plot." Because this was printed ABOVE the baggage conditions for the card, I wasn't sure if this was a once-per-game ability, used only when the plot is revealed, or if it could be done repeatedly as long as the plot was active. Looking through other threads, I have a feeling it's the latter (and, if so, I would assume it also costs 0 time to perform), but some official confirmation would be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.