Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, after a couple of games, we were wondering, you must place the monsters in the initial area, but, can you place a Large monster with 2 squares touching the initial area and 2 squares outside it?=)

Also can a hero grab a token(crop in the fat goblin scenario) if a monster it's over the crop token(not actually carrying it).

And last one, skills like Shilhouette one, that says:
"Each time you roll an "X" on your attack roll, you may deal 1"heart" to 1 monster adjacent to you.

That heart can be soaked with armour roll?

Thank you in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that when placing any monster, either for starting placement or reinforcements, you place them entirely on the tile they're supposed to be in. If they cannot fit, then they can bleed into a neighboring tile, as close as possible to the existing tile.

As for token grabbing, I don't think any of the quests have occupancy as a criteria. Rather, as long as they are adjacent, they may pick it up (crops, search tokens, beacons, etc).

And lastly, no, there are no defense rolls made on anything other than an attack. Silhouette's special ability is not an attack, it's something special that happens after the attack. The same is true with traps that deal damage (when a Hero falls in a pit, he doesn't get to roll Defense Dice, does he?). Having said that, I do believe a shield could be exhausted to absorb the damage (not entirely certain though, don't have the cards in front of me to verify. It was like that in 1st Ed, so I'm suspecting it's like that in 2nd Ed, but I could be entirely wrong).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you=), about the first 2 questions we did it in the same way you are explaining above.

By any chance you know if there is a place in the rule book that says you are not allowed to roll armour dice, and yeah , I remember that in the first edition was in the way you are describing it.

Anyway make sense the way you are doing it, so I guess we'll do the same.
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more question arise, do the heroes need to specify which are going to be their actions?
With this I mean, do the actual player need to say, I'm going to attack and move, or just do the first action, wait to see what happens and act after that?
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Krulz wrote:
By any chance you know if there is a place in the rule book that says you are not allowed to roll armour dice, and yeah , I remember that in the first edition was in the way you are describing it.

I think the better question would be, can you find a place that says you CAN roll armor dice other than during an attack?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I think the better question would be, can you find a place that says you CAN roll armor dice other than during an attack?

Good one =), anyway would have be great if they specify so in the rules, but aye , you are right.!
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a section in the rulebook:

Quote:
Note: Defense dice are used to cancel damage only during an attack. If
an ability causes a figure to suffer damage for any other reason, that figure
cannot roll defense dice to cancel any of that damage.

Descent 2nd Ed Rulebook pg 13

So no, you cannot roll defense dice to cancel damage from anything other than an attack. And before you ask, that would also apply to Silhouette's ability, since hers happens after the attack and therefore is not an attack.

As for actions, there is nothing in the rules that requires a player to declare their actions at the start of their turn. On pg 7 it states, "During each hero’s turn, he receives two actions. He may perform these actions in any order he chooses, and he is not required to perform both actions." It states perform in any order, but nothing really about declaring your actions. Since it's not there, we play you don't have to declare before acting (that's a leftover from 1st Ed that we'd rather not incorporate into 2nd Ed if we don't have to).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
There is a section in the rulebook:

Quote:
Note: Defense dice are used to cancel damage only during an attack. If
an ability causes a figure to suffer damage for any other reason, that figure
cannot roll defense dice to cancel any of that damage.

Descent 2nd Ed Rulebook pg 13

Awesome, we miss that one, thanks once again=)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Eaton
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
This is actually a very, very important balance issue for some of the quests. The FAQ better fix it so you can't have large monsters bleed out of the reinforce tile, otherwise missions like 1st Encounter The Cardinal's Plight would be impossible for heroes (maybe easier for 4 heroes, this was a huge problem with 2 heroes). All you do is Choose Shadow Dragons, and place the master (or minion if only 2 heroes) so that it blocks the way out of the first large tile for the heroes first turn. Then they are forced to kill the Dragon in a single turn to get around it, because you can just move your master flesh moulder up and use his healing ability on the Dragon twice per turn, and the flesh moulder would be completely safe.

If the dragon has to be completely on the tile, heroes can run past the first turn, which is pretty necessary if you want to find the key in time to kill any of the zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BananaForSale wrote:
This is actually a very, very important balance issue for some of the quests. The FAQ better fix it so you can't have large monsters bleed out of the reinforce tile

There's nothing really to FAQ, that's the actual rule:

Quote:
If a reinforcing monster cannot be placed as indicated in this
section because the tile is full, the monster is placed in
the closest empty space(s) instead.

Descent 2nd Ed Quest Guide, pg 2 in the Reinforcements section

So you just have to be careful to not leave a hero on that tile and get trapped by a large monster (happened to us in one game). It's completely legal, by design.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Eaton
United States
West Bloomfield
Michigan
flag msg tools
But the ambiguity here is even if part of the large monster is on the tile, it could be argued that he's "on the tile" so technically you "placed him as indicated" even if the tile is empty to begin with, and could be placed fully in the tile. There is no rule that states in order to be "placed as indicated" you must be COMPLETELY in the tile, unless that is impossible, then they can freely be placed on the nearest spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play it just that way, that the monster has to be as much as possible on the tile. Since if you place him part on and part off and there were still spaces on the tile, then you haven't actually placed him on the tile, you places him on a space off the tile.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we are doing it in that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Silvia
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
Having said that, I do believe a shield could be exhausted to absorb the damage (not entirely certain though, don't have the cards in front of me to verify. It was like that in 1st Ed, so I'm suspecting it's like that in 2nd Ed, but I could be entirely wrong).

-shnar

I wish I had my game in front of me so I could speak with more authority, but I do believe you are incorrect. As I recall, shield cards state you can exhaust them to add 1 shield to a defense dice roll, not to negate 1 damage, so they can't be used outside of an attack. Same with the talisman of warding, dark fortitude, and other similar abilities. Hopefully someone with the cards at hand can verify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rabbi PT wrote:
shnar wrote:
Having said that, I do believe a shield could be exhausted to absorb the damage (not entirely certain though, don't have the cards in front of me to verify. It was like that in 1st Ed, so I'm suspecting it's like that in 2nd Ed, but I could be entirely wrong).

-shnar

I wish I had my game in front of me so I could speak with more authority, but I do believe you are incorrect. As I recall, shield cards state you can exhaust them to add 1 shield to a defense dice roll, not to negate 1 damage, so they can't be used outside of an attack. Same with the talisman of warding, dark fortitude, and other similar abilities. Hopefully someone with the cards at hand can verify.

Yep, you are right, the shield reads:
Exhaust this card after rolling defense dice to add 1(shield) to the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, helps to have components to dbl-check everything

And when looking at the other defense gear, it all specifies attack or defense dice, so looks like they were a bit more careful with wording on 2nd Ed

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.