United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox1001 wrote:
I find having them in makes the game a little less strategic, because 95% of the time you wind up just thoughtlessly taking the quests that are for your lord card, rather than really mulling the quests over - seeing what good combos you can make from rewards, and stringing together combos.

To me it sounds more like a characterization of poor/lazy play than anything inherent in the game. Our experience is anyone who simply focuses on just their lord cards will lose, and lose rather badly.

I suppose if you want to use this as teaching variant for basic strategy to get people to see some of the other ways to play, then it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petercox1001 wrote:
I disagree. Admittedly, 95% is certainly an exaggeration, but I think you will find the bonus 4VPs typically over-ride any benefits you're getting from looking carefully at rewards and stringing combinations together.

Then I would love to play a game against you.

Quote:
Quote:
I suppose if you want to use this as teaching variant for basic strategy to get people to see some of the other ways to play, then it's fine.

I don't understand what you mean by this, is it just an effort to be patronising?

I was not being patronizing at all. It seemed like you were playing with people who blindly go after only the lord-related quests. If that was the case (though it seems less likely given your characterization of 95% as an exagerration) then they would definitely learn other basic strategies by playing this variant and being forced to not just go after their lord-related quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting, I think I'll give it a couple of plays. I am interested to see how well it balances things. Thanks for the shout out, and for your work to improve the variant. I don't think the game needs to be played without Lord cards, but it's nice to switch it up now and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Birnbaum
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
petercox1001 wrote:
I find having them in makes the game a little less strategic, because 95% of the time you wind up just thoughtlessly taking the quests that are for your lord card, rather than really mulling the quests over - seeing what good combos you can make from rewards, and stringing together combos.

To me it sounds more like a characterization of poor/lazy play than anything inherent in the game. Our experience is anyone who simply focuses on just their lord cards will lose, and lose rather badly.

On the flip side, I've gone from first before bonus points to last after bonus points in a five player game because none of the quests that came out except for one corresponded with my lord.

And, yes, I flushed the quests twice. It still didn't work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.