3 Posts

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations» Forums » General

Subject: Weaponeering Assistant v0.9 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJ Lee
United States
flag msg tools
For those of you who like this sort of thing, I've just uploaded a test version of "Weaponeering Assistant", which is an Excel spreadsheet that, when you enter the appropriate target and weapons parameters (straight off the Target Card and Weapons Counters), calculates the number of weapons statistically required to destroy the target, a "bang-per-pound" value useful for comparing destructive effects per weight point, probability breakdowns for each possible outcome, and weight points necessary to haul the selected ordnance set. It also shows a handy die roll table that crunches all the modifiers and tells you how many hits, if any, you get for each die roll outcome, and will display advisory flags for certain weapon/target interactions (e.g., going after a non-Fixed target before 2008 will prompt a JDAM restriction message).

It's kind of fun to muck around with the weapons calculator. For example, take the nuclear power plant (Target 55). It would likely take eighty (80) Mavericks (with a base lethality per weapon of 0.10 against this target) to destroy it, a total of 160 weight points (about 27 F/A-18Cs). On the other hand, only 5 GBU-31s (with a base lethality of 1.7) should be required to do the same job (15 weight points, or 3 F/A-18Cs). Against the convoy (Target 21), it would either take 13 Mk 82s (0.40 lethality per weight point) or 7 Mk 84s (0.27 lethality per weight point); given that a Mk 84 is three times the weight of a Mk 82, the little guys seem to be the more efficient choice against vehicles (if you have the hardpoints).

Instructions are included. This is a very early version -- I started this about 24 hours ago and don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to boolean expressions in Excel. But it seems to be working passably well at this point, so I thought I'd share it with others who like tinkering with stores and loadouts in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Awesome! Thank you for making this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Lee
United States
flag msg tools
Thanks for a great game, Dan!

I've made some enhancements in v0.95:

- Added an Enemy Air tab, to help estimate the number of bandits likely to appear on the mission, based on the particular fighter mix present in each theater.

- Added a Loadout tab, to assist in distributing the weapon mix generated in the Weaponeering page among your aircraft. Also allows loading of air-to-air missiles, and calculates the kill potential of the AAM load (which can be compared against the expected fighter mix generated in the Enemy Air tab). Finally, applies pilot skill modifiers to the lethality and A/A kill potential figures generated for all ordnance.

- Added a Flight tab, which automatically generates a flight roster based on the data in the earlier tabs, and allows you to see the distribution of firepower across your airplanes (to identify any unnecessary overconcentration that can place the mission at risk).

Obligatory disclaimer: this is still an experimental tool, but thought I'd share. BGG seems to be a bit slow in approving downloads, so I've made the latest version available for download here:

http://www.rjlee.org/weaponeerasst/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.