Subject: Attrition roll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lukas Kotek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Hi,

If I read rules correctly, there is only one attrition roll for one stack in the end of round. It means AFTER all battles, call for surenders etc. What is base attrition value of stack? Is it number of units BEFORE they started to move or number of units in the end of round?

For me it is quite strange to move with big stack via two strongholds and mountains, attack enemy without rolling for attrition before battle. Then, after seeing results of that battle, I roll for attrition but only taking into account surviving units.

Did I miss something?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The base Attrition Value is equal to the number of units (not
leaders) in the affected stack.

Quote:
Roll for foraging following the procedure in 15.2 at the end of
each stack’s movement, after all combat and Calls for Surrender
(17.5)

Yes, you are correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Timing the Foraging roll was always a problem in development. When do you roll? If you roll based on where you are at the start of the turn you can dash off into enemy territory without any immediate cost. If you do it before battles then what happens after you win the battle and continue moving? What about picking up and dropping off troops?

In the end, the simplest solution that produced the best results is to roll once at the end of a unit's move.

(Note that if you drop off units, they roll for attrition separately when they are dropped off.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
We came across an apparently strange effect of the attrition rules in one of our games. A Leader was moved on his own through Harsh Terrain, then he picked up units in a city and took them to besiege another city. Although the units had not passed through the Harsh Terrain (only the Leader who is not subject to attrition), these spaces nevertheless added to the Attrition Value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
janos_hunyadi wrote:
We came across an apparently strange effect of the attrition rules in one of our games. A Leader was moved on his own through Harsh Terrain, then he picked up units in a city and took them to besiege another city. Although the units had not passed through the Harsh Terrain (only the Leader who is not subject to attrition), these spaces nevertheless added to the Attrition Value.

Why would you add the Harsh terrain modifier if only the leader alone passed through Harsh terrain? I don't have the rulebook right now but seems very odd to add the Harsh terrain modifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He is correct that the Harsh Terrain would apply. The way around this within the game is to halt the leader in the space with the units and then activate him again later.

Ideally each unit would individually be subject to attrition based on its actions within the round. I don't think it is possible to have entirely consistent attrition rules in a game in which picking up and dropping off units is allowed, not without a lot of rules overhead like that. I managed to get a system that works well 99% of the time. The 1% you have to live with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leovigild wrote:
(Note that if you drop off units, they roll for attrition separately when they are dropped off.)

Scott, they roll with what Attrition Value? 1 (if only a unit was dropped off) or the value of the stack at the time they were dropped off? (meaning higher probability of destruction)

Thanks. So far, so good, btw. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an attrition question

When an army leaves the constantinopolis box, does it roll for attrition once with the +5 and after moving rolls again at the end of its move, or rolls once at the end if its move, using the +5 modifier?

EDIT found it on the rules, rolls immediately with the +5 and the again at the end of move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.