Subject: Comparisons with Automobile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hve played an 18xx game once (Steam over Holland, one of the lighter offerings as I understand) and while I enjoyed it, it's not a game that will get played very often. I did like the mechanic where trains became obsolete though. As I understand it, this game is entirely focussed on that aspect of 18xx games.

But, I also own Automobile, another game where you invest in production facilities which become obsolete over time. I think there is a bit more to this game with the role selection and the debt mechanic etc.

Am I right in comparing these two titles, and what are their merits over the other game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, one of the games has a legion of fans who will tell you they're nothing alike, and the other one is being published by Queen.

In more detail, why not read what I've already written about it?

Automobile: A musing comparison to Lokomotive Werks

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they are somewhat similar. Automobile has more chrome, while Lokomotive Werks has a pretty cool dice-based supply and demand mechanism. I've only played Automobile once, but I prefer Lokomotive Werks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Netherlands
's-Hertogenbosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Well, one of the games has a legion of fans who will tell you they're nothing alike, and the other one is being published by Queen.

In more detail, why not read what I've already written about it?

Automobile: A musing comparison to Lokomotive Werks

B>

Thanks, I can't believe I missed that!

Did you get the chance to play Automobile again and did that change your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm missing a recorded play, but regardless, Automobile very quickly fell out of favour with the group I played with and simply disappeared off the rotation after only a few games of it got played. I might try my copy with some other folks one of these days.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in the LW forum, you are likely to get most responses in favor of LW.

That being said, I prefer Automobile. Better components (by far), and better gameplay. Seems to scale better as well. One play of LW, and I would never choose to play that over Automobile. If I remember right, one player was essentially out of contention for most of the game, with no chance of getting out of a hole. Certainly was not fun for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.