The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – Shadow and Flame» Forums » Rules

Subject: We are not idle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bog danov
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
So, is it legal to play this card just as a free card draw? I would think so - i.e. "Action: Exhaust 0 dwarf characters to add 0 resources to a hero´s resource pool and draw one card" - but perhaps there is a rule against replacing x with a 0 that I do not know about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my view, this play is perfectly legal as the rules currently stand.

However I strongly suspect that this will be banned via official "clarification" whenever anyone gets around to asking the design team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems legal to me as well. We have a few cantrips already (Daeron's Runes, Song of Earendil), so using this as one shouldn't be a problem.

Cards that have been previously errata'd were done so to insert an 'upper limit' to their effect. The 'draw one card' effect of this card doesn't stack or trigger multiple times or anything, so I don't see any reason for it to get 'banned'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Seems legal to me as well. We have a few cantrips already (Daeron's Runes, Song of Earendil), so using this as one shouldn't be a problem.

Cards that have been previously errata'd were done so to insert an 'upper limit' to their effect. The 'draw one card' effect of this card doesn't stack or trigger multiple times or anything, so I don't see any reason for it to get 'banned'.

This card plus Daeron's Runes allow you to run a 44 card deck without resource cost, which seems pretty strong to me.

I don't think that the card will get officially errata-d like POL or Beravor, but I think that designer intent was that you exhaust at least one Dwarf to use the card, and that they are likely to rule this as a "clarification" at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bog danov
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
jjeagle wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

This card plus Daeron's Runes allow you to run a 44 card deck without resource cost, which seems pretty strong to me.

I don't think that the card will get officially errata-d like POL or Beravor, but I think that designer intent was that you exhaust at least one Dwarf to use the card, and that they are likely to rule this as a "clarification" at some point.

I agree that it´s a powerful combo (and even more so in a dwarf deck of course), but at least "We are not idle" doesn´t belong to the same sphere as "Daeron´s Runes". However, if the possible free card draw wasn´t the intent, then I have to wonder why they didn´t word it more clearly. And if said use wasn´t even considered, then I seriously have to question the playtesting efforts, since it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bogdanov wrote:
jjeagle wrote:
GeckoTH wrote:

I agree that it´s a powerful combo (and even more so in a dwarf deck of course), but at least "We are not idle" doesn´t belong to the same sphere as "Daeron´s Runes". However, if the possible free card draw wasn´t the intent, then I have to wonder why they didn´t word it more clearly. And if said use wasn´t even considered, then I seriously have to question the playtesting efforts, since it was the first thing I thought of when I saw the card.

Agreed - but this wouldn't exactly be the first time we've seen (a) sloppy wording and (b) highly questionable playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really a free card draw (it does have a cost, playing the card, which is just being replaced). The advantage here is exactly what Joe Eagle said, that you can have a smaller minimum deck size. I don't think the advantage is huge. Between 50 and 47 cards, the probabilities to get a particular card are pretty close together.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.