Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone.

This is the second time I write this session report, since yesterday BGG went into maintenance unexpectedly. yuk soblue

Well, we had our first 3 player game of Eclipse with the Aliens, and I'd like to share the session report with you.

A little bit about the players:

Marcelo (myself): I am a regular player (although I don't play as often as I would like to). I like deep strategy and RPG games, and tend to be quite aggressive when playing.

Tiago: Tiago is becoming a regular player. He is very strategic and tends to be very defensive.

Guilherme: Guilherme is a regular board game and RPG player. He is a bit more aggressive than defensive.

On to the game session:

Tiago got the best die roll, so he chose to go first and pick the race last. Guilherme was clockwise from him, so I got to go last and choose the race. I chose to go with the Planta because I like this race's mechanics, I think it is probably the most thematic of the races. Guilherme chose the Hydrans and Tiago went with the Mechanema.

pepper Marcelo: Planta
oil Tiago: Mechanema
indigo Guilherme: Hydrans

Since all three knew the rules already, we got on with the game.

We had the normal 3 player disposition, as in the rules.

Round 1:
Tiagooil expanded around his home system, to one of each sector. He got good draws in general and was able to get a good start.
Guilhermeindigo, having extra research, started researching early and expanded a bit less.
Ipepper expanded twice and discarded one of the tiles as it had ancients on it, and I wanted to make some choking points to protect myself later on. For now I wanted to get as many sector 1 and sector 2 tiles without actually opening up many wormholes. I also chose to expand towards Guilhermeindigo because I believed Tiagooil would be less aggressive. I wanted to shape Guilherme's space as much as possible.

Round 2:
Tiago did some research and mild expansion. He started closing himself off, as expected.
Guilherme continued researching as much as possible and explored 3 outer sector tiles in his backyard.
I went for an all out explore spree, which left me a bit thin and without many actions for turn 3. Again, I shaped as much as I could of Guilherme's space (and some of Tiago's too), and also explored some hexes near my home system.

Round 3:
This round had Tiago building some orbitals and doing some good researching. He was doing pretty well, probably in the lead.
Guilherme did some more tier 3 exploring and more research. He also got the alien computer and hull, and upgraded both on the free cruiser he got in round 2. He then proceeded to wipe some ancient @ss from the universe.
I did heavy researching and also went bankrupt, otherwise I would not have much to do next round. I had a lot of no planet systems, and I was always choosing to go with vps instead of the bonuses.

Round 4:
Tiago explored a little and started upgrading ships. He also did some more research.
Guilherme expanded onto systems I had discovered but chosen not to take at the time, and we exchanged ambassadors. Again, he researched this turn, albeit a bit less than on earlier rounds.
I expanded in my backyard and did some more research. I guess at this time Tiago was still in the lead, but Guilherme and I were pretty close. Guilherme was definitely the one in the lead science-wise, but he was kind of researching at a slower rate than what I would have expected.

Round 5:
Tiago kept his consistent research rate, built his already upgraded cruisers and started his campaign on the ancients.
Guilherme started doing heavy upgrading and built another cruiser. I figured he was good to try and take the galactic center. His cruisers were the best by far (alien upgrades and all).
I researched heavily and did some drive and power upgrades. I had a lot of research points this round and spent it all. My research strategy was set and I was carrying it out.

Round 6:
Tiago did some more research and upgrades this round, and also maneuvered his cruisers to continue his campaign against the ancients.
Guilherme started the round with a move action. Ok, he's going to go for the galactic center, his cruisers are unmatchable and... What?
Ah, the bitter taste of betrayal. He moved each of his cruisers to two of my systems. I wasn't expecting it, but should have been: I had nothing offensive or defensive on my blueprints, his cruisers were cutting edge technology (more than so, actually, since they had the alien hulls and computers). I had a "peaceful" and optimal research strategy for the next 2 rounds, and so I had to rethink everything. I got the plasma missile tech, which cost me a lot, proceeded to upgrade my starbases and built 4 (3 on the system I could not afford to lose and one on the other system).
My missiles pulverized his cruiser on the system I could not afford to lose, and on the other one, I had a 50% chance of winning... But I lost. I ended the round upgrading my cruisers to increase my defenses, since he ended up researching the other plasma missile tech. I then built a cruiser.

Round 7:

This was a pretty short round, as Guilherme and I had used a lot of resources (pretty much everything we had). Tiago moved in on the ancients and his goal became evident: He was going to move in on the galactic center. I was pretty short on production, so I repopulated two brown-planet systems... Simply because I had nothing else to improve production. There were no more tier 3 tiles available, and I was cut off from the only reachable tier 2 tile left (there was another, but it was unreachable as a new tier 3 tile would be needed to get to it). No more expansion for the Planta.

Round 8:

Tiago successfully moved in and took the Galactic Center. He was on a roll.
Guilherme did some more research and upgraded more ships with Plasma Missiles.
I built some ships and moved in on ancients. At this point I knew I was not going to be a military contender (even with plasma missiles), but with my pumped up star bases I also knew there was no way anyone was going to take my space (at least not without a good scrap)!
Tiago and I exchanged ambassadors.

Round 9:

This is it. We knew we were pretty close in points, so everybody geared up for war to try and get as many points as possible off one another. Tiago built lots of interceptors and his strategy for the round became clear: Pin enemy ships so he could get through. Luckily for me, I managed to build more defenses and so he turned towards Guilherme (Come to think of it, I believe his intention was to move in on Guilherme in the first place, as it seemed Guilherme was in the lead). Guilherme had spent all his resources on the war against me and hadn't recovered enough, so he couldn't build anything else. Tiago was able to clear two of Guilherme's systems, even though he did not have enough influence (actions) to control any.
Up to now Guilherme still had the traitor card, but as Tiago moved off all his forces against Guilherme except for two interceptors, the Galaxy Center suddenly became too juicy for me to pass up. I decided to take a gamble in which I had 70% chance of winning and moved my cruiser there. However, but my missile rolls were not good enough (I managed to score only 1 hit) and Tiago was lucky and managed to roll a 6 with one of his ion cannon interceptors. My cruiser was all geared up for offense and had no extra hulls at all, so this was enough to deter my attack. In the end, though, I still had enough points for a solid victory.

End scores:

pepper Marcelo - 38 points
indigo Guilherme - 33 points
oil Tiago - 29 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Traitor card? There is no diplomacy in 3-ppl games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gleb wrote:
Traitor card? There is no diplomacy in 3-ppl games.

Really? Ohhh... Oooops

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few other things:

Remember no one can make alliances with someone with the Traitor card (not sure if you did that or not, but seems like you did) but as mentioned above irrelevant for a 3 player game (no diplomacy).

From turn 8 to turn 9 white's ships got behind a wall of blue and green ships, that isn't possible unless blue moved his ships out and back due to the pinning rule. Ah, he probably lost battles in some of blue's areas allowing him to move through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Trein
Brazil
Porto Alegre
Rio Grande do Sul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
A few other things:

Remember no one can make alliances with someone with the Traitor card (not sure if you did that or not, but seems like you did) but as mentioned above irrelevant for a 3 player game (no diplomacy).

Yup, we're aware of that. That rule wasn't breached

dlhammond wrote:
From turn 8 to turn 9 white's ships got behind a wall of blue and green ships, that isn't possible unless blue moved his ships out and back due to the pinning rule. Ah, he probably lost battles in some of blue's areas allowing him to move through.

Yes, that is exactly what happened.

Yesterday when I wrote the report for the first time, it was much more complete. Due to BGG going on maintenance all of a sudden, I had to make do today with a draft.

Thanks all for the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I read which races were involved, I had a hunch that Planta would win. In a 3-player game, Planta are already pretty strong but that's amplified when one of the stronger military races isn't present...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
As soon as I read which races were involved, I had a hunch that Planta would win. In a 3-player game, Planta are already pretty strong but that's amplified when one of the stronger military races aren't present...

Yep, this is a problem. Best to ban Planta & Draco from 3p. If you don't, even the "best case" where all players are going for maximum advantage will be Planta vs. Draco vs. Orion; Orion can beat up one of them but probably not both, so the third will probably win.

I guess the other option would be all turtles with Planta vs. Draco vs. Hydran, but Hydran probably won't be able to compete most of the time. Either way - boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.