Subject: Which Dominion Expansion should I sell? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Dempster
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, earlier this year I went on a bit of a boardgame binge and bought stacks of new games, much to the chagrin of my better half who sees nothing wrong in buying a game or two to play at the weekend but nothing redeemable in blowing the best part of two grand on 65 boxes full of colourful cardboard and plastic.

The expense I can just about cover, the marital chastisements can be eased by other means of gentle persuasion (that's a topic for a different forum, if not different website) but the one thing I don't have in my two bedroom flat in central Vienna is much storage space. Nor do I have as much free time to play all these games as I had hoped. The upshot is that I am going to have to get rid of some of these games, unplayed as they are, and keep only the ones that will get proper table time.

So I have opened the base game and had a couple of goes, the missus also quite likes it so it might get some extra play outside the weekly game group (but she doesn't like when I keep hitting her with the thief for some reason). But the expansions are all sitting in a pile in the corridor still in the shrink (Intrigue, Seaside, Alchemy, Cornucopia, Prosperity, Hinterlands) and I don't think we are going to get through them all anytime soon. I'm planning to put some games up on eBay with the aim of getting the total down to a more manageable 40 or so.

So my question is, which expansion should I sell first? If you could put the above six expansions in order of disposability that would be most illuminating. Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Thurlow
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
A lot of people don't like Alchemy.
Hinterlands is one of the more confusing sets, that's for sure.
NEVER sell Seaside or Prosperity.
Intrigue is a lot like the base set, so if you want more of that, keep it.
I have no experience with Cornucopia at all.

Anyway, those are just a few things to consider. I would sell Alchemy just because a lot of people really hate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thurlg4 wrote:
A lot of people don't like Alchemy.
Hinterlands is one of the more confusing sets, that's for sure.
NEVER sell Seaside or Prosperity.
Intrigue is a lot like the base set, so if you want more of that, keep it.
I have no experience with Cornucopia at all.

Anyway, those are just a few things to consider. I would sell Alchemy just because a lot of people really hate it.

Yep because getting rid of the HUGE box that alchemy comes in will solve any space problems you may have laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Richmond
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with Garrett. Alchemy is the expansion that receives the least amount of love. That expansion included the "Potion" card, which is only used in that expansion. So once you start playing with the sets mixed together, you will see a card that has very limited use.

If you wife (like mine) enjoys Dominion, I would be very hesitate about selling any expansion. You will find that the cards in the Base set are great to learn on, but eventually you will want to add some variety. If marital harmony is threatened however, I would sell them in this order:

Alchemy
Cornucopia (this set rewards you for having a variety of cards in your deck)
Hinderlands (gives you actions when cards are gained or bought)
Seaside (introduces Durations cards. They act on this turn and your next)
Intrigue (allows you to choose from multiple possible actions)
Prosperity (focuses on wealth, introduces the Colony and Platinum Cards)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that Alchemy really doesn't fit well with the rest of the game - it's the whole potions thing - I have to say that Seaside is despised by me.

Seaside is such a wasted nothing of an expansion. Adds lots of fiddly bits (when all I wants is cards) and it's key feature is deeply uninteresting cards happening twice. Woo.

Hinterlands, Prosperity, Cornicopea - they all add really interesting cards and have a strong flavour.

But I've long since accepted that my tastes go contrary to the majority, and I just wanted to offer an opposing view.

And finally, definitely keep the base game and Intrigue. I consider the two together as "The Base Game".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close your eyes, spin in a circle and point. Whichever expansion you're pointing at, open up and play with. You'll probably like the game better with it included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnus_eisengrim wrote:
(but she doesn't like when I keep hitting her with the thief for some reason)

Completely off the topic: She should, it most likely benefits her more than it does you

Otherwise, I would say its a tough call. If it actually is a matter of space, have you considered some way of consolidating the boxes instead. There's a lot of unnecessary air in the dominion boxes.

Don't have a link handy, but searching the dominion forum for 'storage solution' should give you a few good threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the easiest question I've ever had to answer here. None of them. Pick another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Newhausen
United States
Loves Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't a particularly elegant 'storage solution', but I have all my Dominion cards in five of these:

http://www.amazon.com/BCW-Count-Corrugated-Cardboard-Storage...

This, plus a folder for all the rulebooks, is all you need. I'll need a sixth box to hold Dark Ages, but I can probably squeeze the final expansion into the Seaside box (though I might have to remove the playmats to do that), so six should be enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Baker
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, if this is a practical question, Dominion is one of the biggest space wasters around, I threw my boxes out years ago. I'll bet you can fit the base game and all those expansions in the Dominion and Seaside boxes once you clear out the inserts. You can still make a big show of getting rid of the old boxes if you think it will earn you points

Philosophically? At least definitely keep intrigue and prosperity: those are the most solid expansions of the game's original themes that don't get too cute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As other have said, you can definitely consolidate all of the Dominion boxes into just 2 of the original boxes.

If you still want to sell one off to recoup cost or get rid of unplayed games, I suggest Alchemy. I like all of the expansions, but Alchemy is my least favorite. Also, my gaming group likes it the least as well. It's definitely the most "love it or hate it" of the expansions.

If you ever plan on playing with more than 4 players at once (up to 6 in one game or 2 games of 3 or 4), definitely keep Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I only kept Prosperity and the Base Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dempster
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your helpful insights and advice. Better storage solutions definitely look like the way forward, and I've seen a few good designs on these very pages. I conclude that Alchemy is the least favourite of the expansions, but that the others are really worth holding on to and playing as they bring new elements to the game.

Where does this fit in to your geeklist, Hockey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're talking about my Which Dominion Expansion Should I Get Next list, it isn't a perfect fit but such an unexpected twist on the subject that I included it.

My advice: hang on to Alchemy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sofa Chair
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't sell any, if you trash the insert, you can fit all of the cards in the cards in the main set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another voice for "Don't sell them, instead open them up and put them in one box".

And this is from someone who tired of Dominion because of all expansions. But generally, if it's the space that's the issue, then you're better off keeping all the Dominion expansiona and instead sell another game.

Reason? YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY DOMINION. That means that expansions will be MUCH easier to get play time out of instead than another game with rules that everyone has to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexB wrote:
At least definitely keep intrigue and prosperity: those are the most solid expansions of the game's original themes that don't get too cute.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
itchyrichy wrote:
Seaside is such a wasted nothing of an expansion. Adds lots of fiddly bits (when all I wants is cards) and it's key feature is deeply uninteresting cards happening twice. Woo.

Of the 26 kingdom cards in Seaside, only 8 are Duration cards, and only 5 of them do (basically) the same thing the second turn. 3-5 of them feature the same effect happening twice. (with the range I mean there's a bit of ambiguity, depending on how exactly you define it; Lighthouse doesn't give an action the second turn, and does something in between your turns, and Caravan also doesn't give an action the second turn)

Also it's got 3 of the awesomest attacks, and possibly the most noob-traptic attack; this point of course will sway different people different ways arrrh

Of course you can go on hating it all you want, it's still my favorite

edit
Oh and to actually respond to the OP, another vote for don't get rid of any of them! But if I were going to pick one, it'd be Alchemy. But I would miss Apprentice and Scrying Pool and University so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to sell them off, from first to go to last:

Alchemy
Cornucopia
Prosperity (I know I'm alone on this one, but it makes the game too long imo)
Intrigue
Hinterlands (I'm still exploring this one, and it may be getting a bump from being relatively new)
Seaside

Honestly, there are a bunch of cards I like and dislike from each expansion and Alchemy is the only one I wouldn't miss...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.