David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!
So, space hulk is awesome, but once you figure out a specific map, the gameplay on that map becomes a bit more limited. I know there are other maps out there and such, but my friends and I were looking for another way to inject some replayability into maps we have already played to death.

Here is the first draft of the rules for action cards and some card ideas for both sides. Generally, space marine cards are more powerful, but they will recieve less of them a game.

GS draw rules: 1 card per blip at start.
1 card per two blips received a turn. If only 1 received a turn, receive a card every other turn.
Max hand size is 7. If the broodlord is on the map, max hand size is 9.

GS card ideas:

Dormant Strain: At start of marine turn, spawn 1 random blip in any space out of Marine LOS and at least 6 spaces distant from any marine.
Sensor Confusion: Switch two blips on the board.
Radar Interference: Move all blips one space. Normal blip movement rules apply.
Aggressive Evolution: Remove all mutation markers from the board and mark one genestealer with a mutation marker. While this card is in play, This genestealer rolls 1 extra die in melee combat. This genestealer has one less AP.
Ablative evolution: Remove all mutation markers from the board and mark one genestealer with a mutation marker. When this genestealer is hit, cancel that hit and remove this mutation marker.
Speed evolution: Remove all mutation markers from the board and mark one genestealer with a mutation marker. This genestealer gets 1 extra AP that must be used for movement. In addition, this genestealer may move through friendly and enemy figures, but may not stop on their space. This genestealer rolls one less die in melee combat.
Distraction: Play at the start of the space marine turn. Turn one space marine 90 Degrees.
Inevitable End: Play at the start of the space marine turn. The space marine player has -30 seconds this turn.
Favor of the Hivemind: Discard this card. Shuffle the discard pile into the draw pile, then draw two cards.
Ambush: Interrupt. At the start of a marine activation, spawn 1 genestealer in any space adjacent to that marine.
Evade: Interrupt. You may force the marine player to reroll one ranged attack. You must keep the second result.
Sensor Glitch: Interrupt. Play when a marine player reveals one of your blips. Move that blip five spaces so that it is out of line of sight. The blip is not revealed.

Marine draw rules: Start with 1 card per lieutenant.
For 1 AP, a lieutenant can draw a card. This can be done once per turn per lieutenant.
Your max hand size is the number of lieutenants x 2.
For hand size functions only, the librarian counts as a lieutenant.

Marine card ideas:

Melta Bomb: One use Flamethrower with a max range of 10.
Krak Grenade: Attack all genestealers on a tile within 6 with one die each. Hit on a roll of 3+.
A Good Death: Interrupt. Play when a Space Marine dies. Kill the closest two genestealers to this space marine. On a tie for closest, the space marine player can choose.
Until Death: Play when a space marine is hit. The space marine does not die, but place a wound marker on him. All characters with wound markers can only take 2 AP a turn.
False alarm: Play when a gun jams. Cancel that jam.
Counter smash: Play when a space marine is attacked in melee and survives. Make an immediate attack against that genestealer with a +1 to your die rolls. This extra attack cannot cause the space marines death.
Tactical Switch: Spend 1 CP to Switch the locations of two adjacent space marines. You may set their facing any way you wish.
Tactical Maneuver: You may spend 1 CP to give up to 5 space marines one extra AP that must be used for movement. Spend these movement points immediately for all marines, then discard this card.
Predictive spread: Make one ranged attack with a bolt pistol. This attack rolls 3 dice and hits on a 4, 5, or 6.
Juggernaut: One space marine can spend 1 AP to use this card. That space marine can move 3 spaces in a straight line. Any Genestealers in the path are pushed back. If there is a choice as to where a genestealer is pushed, the space marine player chooses.
Focused Sensor Sweep: Reveal one blip. You do not need line of sight.
For the Emperor! : Discard this card. Shuffle the discard pile into the draw pile, then draw two cards.

Im all up for new card ideas. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try this? If yes, how did it play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds cool, let us know how it plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
sounds cool, let us know how it plays

We have done a couple run-throughs of suicide mission. Balance on the cards seemed ... better than I thought it would be , but the space marine player probably needs a little boost in the overall power level of their cards.

The last game, the genestealer player played Inevitable end (-30 seconds) on the last turn. On my last marine activation, he played ambush to spawn a genestealer right behind the flamethrower and ablative evolution to give him an extra hit point (which meant that one flamethrower hit couldnt kill him ).

Ambush is almost certainly too powerful, for one, even with the limitation that it has to be at the start of the space marine activiation. I think changing that to the start of the whole space marine turn would probably not be too powerful.

All that said - It made a mission I have played dozens of times INCREDIBLY tense. Looking over at a genestealer player who has a hand of 5 cards is fucking terrifying. That is kind of the goal here, so thats good, but tons of balance work to do. Also, my aim is to have 20 cards for each side. The decks would be 2 copies of each card and only 1 copy of the 'Draw 2' cards (For the Emporer and Favor of the Hivemind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Rautiainen
Finland
-
flag msg tools
GW already kind of did this and it is called Genestealer Expansion. Psychic cards are quite fun for a card combat system but it breaks tempo of the original fluid mechanics.

You're gonna need some kind of limit or cost system for the cards so either player doesn't play 7 card combo and just win the game in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svrs wrote:
GW already kind of did this and it is called Genestealer Expansion. Psychic cards are quite fun for a card combat system but it breaks tempo of the original fluid mechanics.

You're gonna need some kind of limit or cost system for the cards so either player doesn't play 7 card combo and just win the game in one turn.

Yes, tempo is a major concern - it is something that space hulk does incredibly well.

It was also the main reason behind the space marine player having a max hand size of 2 for most missions. Also, the space marine cards have more obvious effects and effects that trigger off of a specific condition - If you draw a card that starts with 'when a space marine player takes a hit...' you dont need to sit there thinking about it.

The genestealer player sitting there and scheming over his choices is thematic and still present without cards, so I am not worried about that end as much.

Ive been playing too much of my gencon spoils to give this variant another shot - rest assured it is in the works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.