Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is better? What about as a two player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played At the Gates of Loyang, but I have played about 13 games of Ora. We've mostly played two player, and I really like it that way. We have tended to go for the long two player game, which takes us around 3 hours, although I would blame the length on my husband's lengthy thinking time! With the long game you get to use all the cards, whereas in the short two player game you have to miss out on certain cards that are marked 3+ and 4. Once you've played a few games it becomes a lot more interactive, as you know the cards well enough to be able to take advantage of each others cards by issuing work contracts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the opposite situation that Kim has (as in I've only played Loyang). Loyang is a very strong two player experience. In my opinion it plays well with any player number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like Ora et Labora is possibly a refined version of Le Havre. Is this true? I have Le Havre - it's a good game, but not my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lui
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I feel that Ora is like Le Havre + tile-laying. If you already have Le Havre, than Loyang will feel more like an original game.

One potential downside to Loyang, depending on one's gaming taste, is that it is very analysis-paralysis prone - for me, it is most similar to Power Grid Factory Manager because of this aspect.

Unlike many other games that can seat more than two, Loyang doesn't suffer when played as a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are good games. Ora et Labora is similar to Agricola in that you are gathering resources to convert into other resources and Le Havre with resources accumulating until you take them and you are spending resources to create buildings that have special effects when you use them. Loyang is different... you plant crops and select customers who want different vegetables, and there are some special role cards that you can take. It's all about meeting customer demand.

If you want variety or something a little different than Agricola/Le Havre go with Loyang. If you love those games and want more of the same, you'll really like Ora et Labora.

Or just buy both.

I've not played Ora as a 2 player, but Loyang is a very good 2 player game, which isn't true with a lot of games that say 2-4 or 2-5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Lopez
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback! I just got both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.