Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love The Resistance and when I saw this I immediately went to the KS page planning on backing it... until I saw there are no rules listed.

If this is just The Resistance v2.0, I'm going to probably pass in favor of something new. If, however, the new mechanics make this a sufficiently different game, I'll happily back it.

If the game is far enough along that it's been well play-tested, I'd expect there could be at least a draft of the rules. I'd like to kickstart it today and get the anime cards, but not without the rules.

Guess I'll just wait and see if the rules come out before KS is finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always KS it now and pull out if there are no rules/you're not convinced before it ends.

At least I think that's possible. Anyone know for sure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Pledge and you can cancel when the upcoming info (or the lack of it) tells you so. I did this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I did this as well. Not completely sure about this one although I love the Resistance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
As someone who loves The Resistance and has backed this game, Let's see the rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions. I've just kickstarted it. Hopefully they get the rules published before the deadline or I will pull out.

Have any of you ever canceled a KS before? How difficult is it to do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance VanGogh
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really easy. Just click Manage Pledge and then at the bottom of the page under all the pricing options there's a 'Cancel Pledge' text link. I've done it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
That's for the reassurance. I've also tentatively backed it but "Resistance with Commander" isn't super exciting to me if it's not adding much more. Not a huge fan of the art either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you watch the video? It not the rules but it does explain the differences between Avalon and regular resistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I was amused that in the video Travis said all the information could be found below. There is plenty of information below the video but not what I really want to know, which is how this game is different and why I want Lancelot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
For better or worse, guys, I believe this really just is Resistance + Commander (/Merlin). Looking at some of the art, perhaps Seeker is in there too? And I think Inquisitor too.

But yeah, it's just new art to go with the new mechanics, none of which Travis will ever post online, since you can then forgo buying the game and instead just play the new variants with your old components.

Personally, I like the theme of this game more than Future Resistance, so I'll pick it up, plus I want to support Travis and Don and hope they make more games like this in the future, but I doubt you'll ever see the rules for this one until you buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
No rules on a kickstarter project is pretty much the norm now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
there are 6 roles, Merlin, Percival, Assassin, Mordred, Morgana, Oberon and the Lady of the Lake (which is not a hidden role). Merlin and the Assassin are the core, my personal favorite combination of roles are Merlin, Percival, Assassin and Mordred.

The roles do a great job of adding another layer of depth to the game with very little rules overhead. The roles add deduction element for the spies (evil players), which makes that even more fun. Much more streamlined than the plot cards, but I still like the plot cards and the game can be played with both the roles and the plot cards to add even more depth, complexity and nuance.

Not in the rules (because its a little complex to explain), but planning to write up as a digital rule book, is the ability to randomly select roles - again this is a variant for experienced players and makes it even more interesting as you aren't sure which roles are in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
there are 6 roles, Merlin, Percival, Assassin, Mordred, Morgana, Oberon and the Lady of the Lake (which is not a hidden role). Merlin and the Assassin are the core, my personal favorite combination of roles are Merlin, Percival, Assassin and Mordred.

The roles do a great job of adding another layer of depth to the game with very little rules overhead. The roles add deduction element for the spies (evil players), which makes that even more fun. Much more streamlined than the plot cards, but I still like the plot cards and the game can be played with both the roles and the plot cards to add even more depth, complexity and nuance.

Not in the rules (because its a little complex to explain), but planning to write up as a digital rule book, is the ability to randomly select roles - again this is a variant for experienced players and makes it even more interesting as you aren't sure which roles are in play.

Travis,

Thanks so much for responding. Even if you don't want to go into specifics of the different roles, what is the general process? When the spy/resistance cards are dealt out, do all the resistance cards have a special power which must be kept secret along with the spy/resistance type? Is that (along with the improved components and the bigger box) the big difference between Avalon and the first edition?

As an aside, I really liked your small box and wish we had an option to get a box the same size as the original Resistance. The small box has made bringing it to Game Nights much easier and has gotten it played many more times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
not all the players get a role, the roles are on the character cards and have been designed so that you will keep them secret.

The bigger box was a requirement of Barnes and Noble and Target, and the new components. There isn't a lot of empty space in the box, and the new components do make the game less fiddly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
not all the players get a role, the roles are on the character cards and have been designed so that you will keep them secret.

The bigger box was a requirement of Barnes and Noble and Target, and the new components. There isn't a lot of empty space in the box, and the new components do make the game less fiddly.

Enough space to put my copy of The Resistance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

Enough space to put my copy of The Resistance?

Maybe if you threw away the insert, but it would be a tight fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
T Worthington wrote:

Congrats on getting it placed in those stores! The all card components were functional, but sort of a mess with a lot of different card types you had to keep track of and most didn't have text. I've been using modded poker chips for various things for a while and it greatly improves the flow of the game to not be all cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We actually streamlined the number of cars we're using substantially: for voting everyone brings out their hand simultaneously (rock-paper-scissors style), and we don't feel the need to use cards to keep track of who is leader, or on the current proposal. The hand-voting is not fully cheat-proof, but those last-second twitches are big spy tells!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Willis
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

Travis, thanks for providing some more info. On the Kickstarter page it says "The Resistance: Avalon is a stand alone game. It does not require you to have The Resistance to play, but it remains compatible so you can combine games." Does that mean that you can use the Avalon rules with The Resistance?

Also, would you say that The Resistance: Avalon is for "experienced" Resistance players or can you teach Avalon as easily as The Resistance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vantastic wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

Travis, thanks for providing some more info. On the Kickstarter page it says "The Resistance: Avalon is a stand alone game. It does not require you to have The Resistance to play, but it remains compatible so you can combine games." Does that mean that you can use the Avalon rules with The Resistance?

Also, would you say that The Resistance: Avalon is for "experienced" Resistance players or can you teach Avalon as easily as The Resistance?

The way it sounds in the video, is that the "compatibility" is really with the original Plot Cards, which can be used with Avalon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vantastic wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

No, it's means you can play The Resistance: Avalon without owning The Resistance. You can also combine the two games and play.

I would say that they are equally good for new players, if anything the Arthurian theme might be easier to grok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is how we can combine them. As in 20 player games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
slinkydink wrote:
The question is how we can combine them. As in 20 player games?
You can't. You can just use the Plot Cards from FutureResistance in Ye Olden Resistance. (Well, of course you can invent your own game at 11+ players, but the game won't support 11+ out of the box. But at 11+ I vastly prefer Werewolf.)

Travis, just to help us out a bit, which of the characters map to DonE's variants? Obviously Merlin=Commander and Assassin=Assassin, which...Percival is Seeker, perhaps?

Quote:
The thing about Avalon is you can play without any characters and the game is the same. If you add in characters it get a bit more complex, but we're talking maybe 45 seconds of additional rules explanation (per character), no more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Put another way, I'd say Resistance1.0+PlotCards is more complicated than ResistanceAvalon+Merlin+LadyOfTheLake. Way, way more complicated. It's why I like Avalon more: I can ditch the plot cards while keeping the game's balance at 8+.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.