6 Posts

Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Important rule on City Actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniele Tosi
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi all, i have an important question about this game relating the third phase: City Actions

In the core rulebook at page 15 is written:

During the City Management Phase, each player takes one action with each of their cities. This action can be used for ONE AND ONLY ONE of the following three purposes each turn:

My interpretation of these words was that each cities can performe ONE action and this action must be DIFFERENT from the other City Action of the other cities (if present)
Es: if i choose to Produce a Figure with the capital city i cant produce nothing more with the remain cities...

In fact there is no other reason of using the words "... one and ONLY ONE..." in the rolebook, i mean: if every city can perform the same action, a simple "...one..." would be enough to explain the rule..

BUT...

in the FAQ i founded here http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/civilization/s...

is written:

Q. May I take the same city action with more than one of my cities in a turn?
A. Yes. Every city you own has the option to build, devote to the arts, or harvest a resource.

so now i'm a bit confused.

I think that taking the same actions for all cities would keep the game unbalanced ... allowing player to focusing in army if being attacked (for example) or boosting in culture devoting all cities to the art.. ecc ecc...

What is the correct rule? What you think about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need to remember what you did with which city. Each city may carry out the same action if you like. E.g. you can buy 3 army cards ina single turn if you've got 3 cities (and each of them the production to do so).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is very usual to do the same kind of action with all cities.

If you are going to culture, you should devote to the arts, if you are going military you will probably be building (units/figures).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each city takes one of three actions. There is no limit on what action each city can take you created an extra restriction that doesn't exist. It doesn't unbalance the game it is necessary because if someone builds an army up and starts heading your way you probably are going to have to build a lot of units to defend your cities. Also why devote to the arts if you don't care about culture? Or what if the market is empty, you would have no resources to gather (or maybe none of your cities even have resource icons)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I think the reason it is writen the way that it is in the rules, is to strongly tell you, that you cannot (for example) both build something and harvest a resource with the same city.

Like I use my forest and workshop to build a unit for 5 hammers and then I also harvest my silk resource.

People used to the PC versions might think this was allowed, as in those games you get all that is in a worked square.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Tosi
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the answers ... so as Carsten sayed mine was a misanderstanding of how is written in the rulebook (and onestly the italian translation did not helped so much).

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.