Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke C
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So my girlfriend and I were thinking it would be fun to play with more heroes. I've considered having us each use two decks but we wanted something simpler so we don't have to manage two hands/decks. So I've been thinking about it and trying to come up with something that wouldn't be too game breaking and came up with the following idea.

-Create one Deck as normal but instead select 4-6 heroes.
-during refresh draw 2 cards
-count as double the number of players in regards to the encounter deck
(i.e. draw 4 cards during the staging step, etc)

The part where I'm stuck is threat. I initially thought of something like doing total threat as normal making the max 100 and raising by 2 a turn. But I think this might be too hard or does it balance the fact that you have 6 heroes to one deck? The only real advantage I can think of the extra hero's provide is the additional resources which will allow you to play 5 and 6 cost cards on turn one..

Other threat ideas I had were making initial threat the total of your 3 highest heroes' but that probably isn't enough...

anyway thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just play a standard 2-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you seen the solo six hero variant in the files section? Might be one altnative for you to consider.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79104/fellowship-rules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:

Thought that question was answered in the first phrase of the original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
max threat of 100 and raising by 2 sounds ok. You will need to double engagement cost of enemies too.

Maybe there should be 100 cards in your deck??

Some of the missions will be get a lot easier i think but overall i don't see why that wouldn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke C
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happycatmachine wrote:
Have you seen the solo six hero variant in the files section? Might be one altnative for you to consider.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/79104/fellowship-rules...

Those rules are very similar to what I was thinking, thanks! My only gripe with them is the threat management is a bit more complicated than I would like.

nssxxx wrote:
max threat of 100 and raising by 2 sounds ok. You will need to double engagement cost of enemies too.

Maybe there should be 100 cards in your deck??

Some of the missions will be get a lot easier i think but overall i don't see why that wouldn't work.

Doubling engagement costs is a great idea! 100 cards per deck also seems like a reasonable restriction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems there is a lot to consider when making such a big change.

Having 6 heroes in front of the same person, and drawing two cards, is better than having them in front of two different people. This is like giving each hero and ally in the two person case the keywords Sentinel and Ranger.

Having all these characters around makes some cards (e.g. Faramir) stronger, it also makes some encounter cards more nasty.

Setting max threat to 100 and giving out 2 between rounds also changes things a lot. This is the same as 50 and 1 for in between round threat but undervalues all other sources. Failing to quest is now 1/2 as bad as before, the doom keyword is less deadly, and other encounter card effects are weakened as well.

This is an interesting idea, but I would argue if you want simplicity just play with two separate decks. That's going to be less of a headache than trying to sort out the balance with all of these changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Haak
Netherlands
Boerakker
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:

I was confused at first too, but they want to play a 2-player game, but with more heroes. And they don't want the hassle of EACH using two decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.