Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: holy_grail [+] [View All]
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been following some of the grail wargames list recently, and I began to wonder, "what grail games were not all that warmly received initially, but they gained grail status after many years had passed?"

I am a newer wargamer, so I pose the question to more seasoned wargamers. I am interested in how a grail game is created from an average game or if it ever is.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
sarcity or subject or fond memories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Magic Realm, Up Front definitely were
not big successes on release.

Civilization became a hit soon after, but the first
impressions in The General were VERY negative, and it took
some time for sales to permeate to non-wargamers.

There are a lot of games which were never well known,
which have become 'grails' too - some had audacious designs,
without ever really being ready for prime time. They end up with
cult followings. The fact that something is a grail, doesn't mean
that the game is any good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:
I have been following some of the grail wargames list recently,

There is a grail wargames list ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
gamesgocrazy wrote:
I have been following some of the grail wargames list recently,

There is a grail wargames list ?

Excellent retort

This question was inspired by your forum thread The ONE Wargame that nearly every Wargamer likes to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O'Connor
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

I don't remember it that way. For one thing, the General was a house organ, and VERY negative reactions to AH games weren't published. Well thought out criticism, when it wasn't seen as likely to hurt sales, yes, but there was never any doubt that the General existed primarily to sell games.

All three games of the games mentioned were paradigm shifts, and as such were seen by some individuals as one less hex-and-counter east front title on the publishing schedule, but I think they were all well received. I know I ordered them, and other hard core wargamers I knew did as well. A second printing of Civ, with a different cover, appeared within a very short time of release, which is an indicator of strong sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Grande Guerre 14-18
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goldenboat wrote:

Yeah, totally flew past the radar of me and my gaming buddies back when it first came out.

"Cards? What the hell kind of war game is that?"
"Where's the map?"
"You can't play a war game with cards. Now let's go play some poker!"

Go fig.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

I don't remember it that way. For one thing, the General was a house organ, and VERY negative reactions to AH games weren't published. Well thought out criticism, when it wasn't seen as likely to hurt sales, yes, but there was never any doubt that the General existed primarily to sell games.

The reaction was captured in the user feedback numbers.

There were also letters to the editor complaining about
focusing on fantasy and other non-wargames.

Quote:
All three games of the games mentioned were paradigm shifts, and as such were seen by some individuals as one less hex-and-counter east front title on the publishing schedule, but I think they were all well received. I know I ordered them, and other hard core wargamers I knew did as well. A second printing of Civ, with a different cover, appeared within a very short time of release, which is an indicator of strong sales.

I didn't know any other hard-core wargamers at that time
(whether or not I was/am such, with my enjoyment of fantasy
and SF themes is debatable).

That second printing on civ is pretty telling though.
Indeed, it's the second cover which was featured on the
issue which sparked a lot of grousing. I guess it was doing
pretty well. I know by that time it had already won some
kinda award - but from the sound of the letters, it sure
wasn't popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

What you're missing is that the same segment of the wargaming population that didn't like those games then still doesn't like them now. There are folks who are only interested in historical simulations, and they post on ConsimWorld today, just like they wrote letters then.

The thread isn't about whether there was a segment that didn't like those games and pushed pure historical sims to the top of the ratings, but about whether games were less favorably received initially than afterwards.

The overlap works both ways - people who dug Magic Realm but weren't into the military sims weren't likely to be General subscribers at that point, but AH put out more and more fantasy titles because they were popular and sold well. Magic Realm was a significant part of that.

Advanced Civilization and Banzai wouldn't have been published if Civ and Up Front weren't popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm was the game that I thought of as well for this list. I think the complexity of the game turned some people off initially and that it was so different from other wargames.

That's my 2 cents though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the "Holy Grail" aura that surrounds Up Front and, I think also Civilization, Magic Realm and Dune is the fact that they're unlikely to ever be reprinted or otherwise appear in the same or even similar form again. Hence all the ones that were made are all the ones that will ever be. I don't think, therefore, that they are necessarily thought of more highly now, it's just that anyone who wants one cannot easily get one -- and they are generally considered good games even now. It's scarcity, in other words, not quality, that gives them this cachet.

Aside from Magic Realm, all of them had expansions published, for example, which only happened for popular games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
"Grail" sets the standard rather high, but I thought of "Campaign for North Africa" immediately. And, to your point, it isn't that the game was considered average at the time of its release--far from it! If my fleeting memories are accurate, the problem was that the game was both ridicuously expensive and impossibly complex. (Not difficult to understand as much as burdensome to execute, given the game's emphasis on logistics.)

If I found CNA within my grasp today, I would be tempted to enter an arrangement with the Devil to have it. (God help me resist!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

What you're missing is that the same segment of the wargaming population that didn't like those games then still doesn't like them now. There are folks who are only interested in historical simulations, and they post on ConsimWorld today, just like they wrote letters then.

I had my money on it taking at least a bit longer before someone stretched for a cheap shot at CSW or BGG....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
I had my money on it taking at least a bit longer before someone stretched for a cheap shot at CSW or BGG....

Cheap shot? I'm just saying the 'letters' column is online now, and that the content hasn't changed much. A lot of us who wrote letters then are still in the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

As a General subscriber, I know I grabbed a copy of all of these the minute they became available. They did lead to grumbling in the letters to the editor, where "real" war gamers groused about fantasy games and non-war games taking up space therein and in the development process. They could have been doing Squad Leader stuff for gods sakes!!!

But yeah, not how I remember things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an old SPI catalog from 1978.

There is a section in the back entitled "Lower Rated Backlisted Games" selling for $12. The prices were slightly higher (about $2 or $3) because the games were almost out of print. All games were rated below 6 on the SPI 9 point scale.

The list includes Minuteman: The Second American Revolution.

These sell on eBay for $50+ today and several Geeks want this game in trade. I would like to have a copy.

Another lower rated backlisted wargame offered at $12 is Solomons Campaign (first edition) which recently sold for $40 on eBay and might qualify as a grail title for some Grognards.

So... maybe yesterday's lower rated wargame really is today's treasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
CountDeMoney wrote:
goldenboat wrote:

Yeah, totally flew past the radar of me and my gaming buddies back when it first came out.

If UP FRONT had remained in print, though, would it really be a "Grail" game, or is that just attributable to the fact no one can find it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

As a General subscriber, I know I grabbed a copy of all of these the minute they became available. They did lead to grumbling in the letters to the editor, where "real" war gamers groused about fantasy games and non-war games taking up space therein and in the development process. They could have been doing Squad Leader stuff for gods sakes!!!

But yeah, not how I remember things...

I think it depends on your definition of "very" perhaps. The GENERAL published negative comments as a counterpoint to fawning praise. The letters column was one page, perhaps two on special occasions, and the editor's...editorial...also sometimes included letters to the ...um...editor as well. The "negative" letters may have been specially selected, and perhaps they were not the harshest ones available (we will never know, of course, since those that were never published are now lost to history, unless fellows like Mark Nixon who have kept filing cabinets decide to publish retrospectives). But they did exist, and gave the editor(s) a chance to respond, if only to cast themselves in a better light, or to explain editorial choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarcity certainly contributes the the Grail Factor of a game. Games that only made it through a single print run are more likely to become a Grail Game because there just aren't as many copies around.

On to Richmond! is a perfect example of a great game whose value is even higher because of the overall scarcity of copies available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Feifer
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Red Star/White Eagle: The Russo-Polish War, 1920
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Michael Dorosh wrote:

If UP FRONT had remained in print, though, would it really be a "Grail" game, or is that just attributable to the fact no one can find it?

Uhm...that's just silly.

Grail games aren't in print (although a version might
be the 'grail' version - but that involves special
aspects, or, as with say Cosmic Encounter, the game taking
what many see as extreme wrong turns).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
calandale wrote:

This is true of the articles, but a game's popularity can be gauged by the Rating Chart included in every issue. In Volume 21, #5 (1985), Civilization ranked 29 out of 52 titles rated - certainly in the "mediocre" range.

In Volume 17, #5, Magic Realm fared far worse - 47 out of 50, lower than Tactics II.

Up Front, on the other hand, seems to have been consistently highly rated: 7 out 52 in Volume 21 #2 and again in Volume 25 #5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even later on, scrolling through Volume 25, No 2 (Tac Air), Upfront was ranked #7, with Civilization at #12 in the "So That's What You've Been Playing" ratings.

And World In Flames, not even an AH title, made the list at #10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.