Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Elrick
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my copy after getting back from a weekend vacation and couldn't wait to break it open and try some solo play. I'd read through the instructions several times in preparation and was more than psyched to get started. After figuring out my storage solution and punching out all the markers, I was set.

I won't bore you with my tutorial or my first time playing scenario 1. Suffice it to say the tutorial does a great job of getting you into the rhythm of the turns and the first time you play any of the real scenarios, you're going to get 10 or 20 rules wrong.

This is the first time I feel like I got the rules right and had a fighting chance. My previous play through of 01 ended horribly. I approached the level with the idea that 2 groups of 2 would do a much better job of getting to the objectives and getting to the exit while maintaining a balance of ass-kickery. I found that I was too unprepared and my 2 groups met up with too much resistance too quickly and were dispatched without much effort from the zombies.

So ANYWAY, this time I was going to gear up a bit while the blue level zombie reveals fired off a couple times. After 3 turns of gearing up with Ned finding lots of goodies and trading all around, I had Josh with an SMG and dual machetes, Nick with dual sawed off shotguns and plenty of ammo, Phil with dual pistols and his matching plenty of ammo and Ned with a third sawed off and a chainsaw. Not too shabby right? On top of that, I had water and a bag of rice. How could I possibly lose?

At this point I felt like I was ready to release my elite swat team onto the sparse zombie population. After chainsawing the door open, the first couple of zones were expertly cleared by machetes and pistol fire. The blue level was maintained and a couple more zombies entered the fray.

It was time to move north-west as a group to get the 3 objectives at the top of the map. Clearing the zombies couldn't have been easier and the xp was being shared equally as everyone had decent equipment. On top of that, Ned stayed one more turn at the center zone and found the Gas and a Bottle. Score! Karma intervened however and decided to unleash an Abomination on us to show just how doomed we were.

Outside the doors at the top-left, more zombies fell and at this point, we were pushing yellow. Then we realize nobody can open the door. Ned! Get over here! The Abomination moves closer from the right side of the map.

Ned chops down the house on the left and the 3 others go in guns-a-blazin. The Abom is getting dangerously close.

Phil had been falling behind XP-wise, so he picks up the objective and boom, here comes yellow. Ned decides it's time to let the Abom have it after opening the door on the right. No more molotov, and now he's yellow. Turns out the house has some runners. We managed to clear the first room and we're fairly safe going into the zombie phase. Things are about to get nuts.

Ned, Josh and Nick all go into the house to clear. After the zombie movement from the last turn, all the zombies are in 2 rooms and the chainsaw and sawed off shotguns do their work to a tee. Phil decides he's best used outside clearing approaching walkers. Not a good idea Phil. He misses a couple shots even with plenty of ammo. He'll be all right though, the zombies will move in and he'll clear them out next turn. Boom goes the dino-mite. Walkers get another turn. 3 zombies feast on Phil in short order. His screams can be heard the from inside the house. Down to 3. Phil was never too bright.

The 3 rush to the objectives knowing they have little time. They let the zombies pile up at the left door knowing they can bust through the door at the bottom. Ned's pushing orange with a bright red glistening chainsaw. A couple of searches reveals enough to make another Molotov. Finally some good news. ... and then Abom number 2 enters the game ... right outside the south door no less.

The zombies move and it's time for the remaining survivors to make their escape. Ned slices the door into splinters and Molotovs the Abom in grand fashion bumping Ned into Orange. That free combat action will come in handy. Josh moves out and cuts down walkers and runners alike while Nick blasts away at the zones surrounding them now full of walkers. At this point runners and fatties come into the fray all around and the walkers get an extra turn. No wounds are taken, but fully 8 walkers surround them at the start of the next turn.

Ned's chainsaw cuts through all of the surrounding zombies. Holy crap, we're almost at red. There's too many zombies to make it through to the next objectives, there's no choice but to blast away at them and take cover in the house possibly going back out to the left and avoid them that way. 7 walkers show up just outside the left side door and runners are getting close.

The chainsaw eats through zombie after zombie and in the blink of an eye, red level is here. The other 2 have enough actions to get off a couple more shots, and escape now seems out of reach. The zombies pile up outside and in. The cards reveal 4 fatties on the right side of the map and 4 on the left. Not enough walkers to accompany them. The fatties move closer.

Well, I think this is it guys. Break out the cigars.

Ned's chainsaw makes short work of a dozen more zombies. The sawed-off's mow down 8 more. The machetes cut down another 5. 8 walkers here, 4 fatties there, walkers get another move, and another, and now death. Nothing but screams. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

I want to play again.

Scenario 1 is just too much fun, but it's hard as heck. I'll have to try another strategy, but haven't figured it out yet. I think i'll give myself 5 survivors next time and see if I can even make it with that.

If you can't tell, I love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
My two copies of the game cannot get to me fast enough! If it was available for sale locally I'd go out and buy a copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very similar to the game I played with KillaMinis, via Google+, last night, on that same scenario.

And, yeah, even when you lose, the game is truly awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a game that you must really enjoy whether you win or lose, cause otherwise it could be very frustrating. Gamers who think losing = bad gaming session should really stay away from this game. The worse session I had was playing 7-Grindhouse, which was way too easy. Bring on the hurt!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Storm Kerr
msg tools
01 is the mission my friends and I have been playing. We lost every time even with 6 players each time. I think we are gonna try it with 9 (I have 3 promo figs). Maybe it would be survivable in a Romero game (walkers only)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Gorbacz
msg tools
FYI: Rules say that there is only ever one Abomination in the game at a time, that if you draw another Abomination card, it comes up as a Fatty with his two attendant Walkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Humm, I'd forgot about that. So Abominations never get an extra activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
Humm, I'd forgot about that. So Abominations never get an extra activation?

Woah! A rule that's in the players' favour?! No way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know how much of an advantage that is. I'd prefer a single zombie to get an extra activation than 3 new zombies to enter the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True. I guess it comes down to situation - if you're in the same zone as an Abom' and someone draws one after a opening a locked door, then it's a good thing it doesn't re-activate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hinkes
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really great session report! Please write more! =-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ball
United States
Chelsea
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
4 players on Scenario 1 would be rough, though as a single player you get to choose the activation order, which is quite handy. Play with 6 survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.